Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      not as high line as you guys ... I'm running chump and lemons ... putting ABS on a 1982 GM Fbody Camaro ... so budget is even LOWER ! I'm planning on a USED JUNK YARD Bosch 5.3 out of a 99-2002 Camaro . similar to the hot rod article link .... but we have to run our stock TPI motor .... we already have a 2002 camaro rear end in the car .. so 2 of the 4 channels are done ... so .. for us .. the front is the issue ... just so happens a S10 ABS setup fits (FIT used VERY loosely) but the tooth count is wrong .... so .. we have a Mechanical Engineer on the race team, I got him to draw the correct tooth count tone ring / reluctor wheel ... called in another favor and had them made .... hitting the junkyards again this weekend in hopes of finding a car with the right options .... the ABS "add on" should be under $500-600 ....

another option we are exploring is racetronix ..... around $1000-1200 ....
      http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php...ontrol?start=5

Country Flag: Netherlands
      Quote Originally Posted by PTAddict View Post
      Resurrecting this thread a bit: I've been researching ABS systems for my track-oriented '69 Camaro. On the high end, the Bosch M4 ABS seems to be the clear favorite amongst the racing community, due in large part to it's easy cockpit accessible adjustability. But it's very expensive. The Bosch website is deceptive: the pricing it lists, about $8500 US, doesn't represent the US price. Apparently, in the US, dealers are required to provide Bosch Motorsports tested and approved wiring harnesses, which drives the price well into 5 digits. If those numbers make you choke - as they did me, despite the high dollar commitment of my personal car - there are other options.

The Hot Rod article mentioned just above provides one answer. The C5 Corvette systems, sourced either new or used, apparently can be readily adapted to aftermarket use. But there are significant issues to overcome in creating the appropriate wheel sensor inputs - described in this article, and also detailed by Mark Stielow in his last '69 build. One way to simplify that is to go with Corvette hubs all the way around, using aftermarket front suspensions that use C5/C6 vette hubs, and rear axle ends from TheGMR.com that also accept vette hubs. But the other factor with the C5 Vette based system is that it isn't all that well-respected for AutoX and track-oriented use. For instance, go to this search URL: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=38408290 and read the scary stories.

Another popular option for lower-cost motorsport-oriented ABS is the Teves-based system used in a number of vehicles, most notably the later model BMW M3s. There is a version of this system, called the Teves MK60, programmed for the European BMW M3 CSL E46 variant, which has proved to be quite popular and successful as a retrofit in low-grade motorsports (HPDE, Club racing, etc), across a large range of vehicles and configurations. There are late model Porsche guys swapping out the factory system for this Teves Mk60. Depending on whether you need plumbing, wire harness, etc, these systems can range from $2K to $4K - competitive with the C5 Vette system if you buy new components. Beyond that, there is a version of the Teves MK60 that has explicit Motorsports programming, and a step up from that, a Teves MK60E5 Motorsports system, which at the top end is still less than 2/3 the cost of the Bosch M4.

A lot of what I've learned came just from a lot of Google searching and forum reading, but also from Curt Jung, of Jung Motorsports in Texas, who has experience with all of these systems. Personally, I'm going to go with a Teves/CSL system to start with from Curt, and I expect it will significantly increase my confidence and aggressiveness in braking zones.
      Hi PTAddict,

thx for all info! can you please send me the contact details of Curt Jung? Cant find him on the net.. Can send it here or by PM what you prefer.

dennis
      Project: MENACE
      Subject: 1972 C3 Convertible

https://www.facebook.com/Menacecorvette

Any updates to this thread or anyone made any progress on this? I'm also looking into this...
      Josh
      "Schism"
      69 camaro

Updates?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Im going to attempt this very soon... Just waiting to find someone parting out a C6Z to get the EBCM, lat, yaw and steering sensors. I will definitely be doing an extensive writeup on it if I can get it to work.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Jay

"Owner....fastest car on jackstands!"

Does anyone have any experience with the new Bosch M5 setup?

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      Does anyone have any experience with the new Bosch M5 setup?
      I think Mark Stielow has. You could try sending him a PM on the other site.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I think Mark Stielow has. You could try sending him a PM on the other site.

Don
      Mark doesn't give out certain information he does on his cars he said. One thing being the ABS system. He said he doesn't want to be responsible if something he personally does on his car and it doesn't work on yours. Then he'd feel obligated to help you trouble shoot. I can understandthat tho.
      Ahmad B.

Thanks for the help guys. The biggest concern I have is how to mount a tone ring for the ABS sensor on my 9" with Torino style ends and Wilwood brakes. Does anyone have any ideas or know someone who has done that?

I am using a Wilwood brake kit with 14" rotors if that helps.

I'm interested in this discussion as well. I'm working on enhancements for my Radical SR8, and am also wanting a tone ring solution that integrates with brake rotors.

I've installed a Ford Taurus tone ring on my rear axles, and am using a Bosch Motorsports Hall effect sensor. But the front wheel solution has thus far eluded me...
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com