Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: In your PT or Track Car, do you plan to run ...

Voters
    128. You may not vote on this poll
    • No roll bar or cage

21 16.41%
    • Roll bar without door bars

33 25.78%
    • Roll Bar with door bars

36 28.13%
    • Roll cage

38 29.69%
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      You guys are adding some great input. But more than that ... I like the attitude towards safety that I'm seeing here.

Of course there are plenty of guys not interested in safety ... that are not chiming in ... and won't give this topic much weight. But those of us that care about it ... we will get clarity on how to best protect ourselves... and make informed decisions from there.

Hey Guys,

I got sick this week, so the safety thread is getting put off for a week.

Thanks for calling in, hope you get better. This time off is without pay, you know. You haven't been here long enough to earn "sick days"

Really, though, get well! Really looking forward to this one.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Country Flag: Wales
      I guess I went to the extreme with mine, full cage, through the firewall into engine bay, including a dash bar and seat mounts. I have a full fire system with the driver and engine bay protected. I don't have windows, but a window net. Also have battery cut off outside and inside and an oil pressure safety switch on the fuel pump. I have a full firesuit, with headsock, gloves and an SA rated helmet for when ever it goes on track....and a HANS device is on my Christmas list.
      I am a firm believer that if you take your car to the track, and you spent more on wheels than you did on safety...you got it backwards!
      Nick Townsend
      Pro-Vintage 69 Corvette
      64 Riviera Custom - 20's, air bags
      Shell Valley Cobra
      2005 Penske Racing Dodge Charger Nextel Cup Car "Rusty's Last Round"

Quote Originally Posted by lvrpool32 View Post
      I guess I went to the extreme with mine, full cage, through the firewall into engine bay, including a dash bar and seat mounts. I have a full fire system with the driver and engine bay protected. I don't have windows, but a window net. Also have battery cut off outside and inside and an oil pressure safety switch on the fuel pump. I have a full firesuit, with headsock, gloves and an SA rated helmet for when ever it goes on track....and a HANS device is on my Christmas list.
      I am a firm believer that if you take your car to the track, and you spent more on wheels than you did on safety...you got it backwards!

Country Flag: Canada
      post pics of your car
      Nascar 69 Chevelle project, 1999 Hutch Pagan Nascar chassis, 69 Chevelle body,700hp, Penske's, slicks, roadrace track day https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...le-Cup-project
      89 Iroc 406 Fitech 5 spd
      01 chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1 Allison
      31 Scarab 2 x 454

Here's a story from last weekend at Sebring. I took my Z06, making it back for the first since I ran at Homestead (Miami) in January 2012. The long hiatus was caused by several factors, but the main one was that I had to rebuild my engine (#7 piston broke a ring land).

I started to have problems with my car smoking during the second session, and it got really bad by the third. After just a couple of laps, I came in to the pits, got out of the car, opened the hood, and was greeted by flames coming off the header. I reached inside the car, grabbed my fire extinguisher, and put out the fire with a 2s burst.

If I hadn't had a fire extinguisher, my car would be history.

As for the fire, it was caused by an oil leak from the valve cover. Guess which gasket didn't get replaced during the engine rebuild?

Anyway, if you go to the track, take a fire extinguisher with you.

Now I'm considering installing a fire system, so any tech related to that would be most welcome.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by shortrack View Post
      post pics of your car
      This was at the new local track..with ken and Dirk (both forum members here)
      Attached Images Attached Images      
      Nick Townsend
      Pro-Vintage 69 Corvette
      Shell Valley Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Now I'm considering installing a fire system, so any tech related to that would be most welcome.
      I have a SPA AFFF set up from Pegasus Racing, https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=2426
      Pretty easy to install (an afternoon maybe..thats with planning out paths for the lines and drilling holes etc etc). Remember that these fire systems are designed essentially to allow the driver to get out of the car safely, not to actually save the car.
      Nick Townsend
      Pro-Vintage 69 Corvette
      Shell Valley Cobra

I will never argue against safety.....ever. But looking at that list and seeing pics of your car.....because race car. Hitting that balance between street comfort/useability and safety at high speeds. That's the trick. There isn't a "perfect situation" where all parameters are met so it comes down to compromise. Every individual will draw the line in a different spot, and that individual's opinion will vary from car to car.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Agreed, and as I sad my car is at the extreme end..it started out pro-touring and took a left towards Le Mans :-).
      But sadly I see all too many cars that have 800hp engines and only 100hp of safety!
      Nick Townsend
      Pro-Vintage 69 Corvette
      Shell Valley Cobra

For me I really want more safety, yet being a P-T car means touring. IF I ripped Monza down to bare metal I WOULD hide as much of the cage as possible. Yet I am talking to couple of the ridetech guys about mixing and matching enough parts to run a TigerCage. Now as stated they havent gotten but one cert so far I do know Bret and crew DO design to the maximum performance value and after having wrecked one Monza I do know what their strengths are and stiffer would be even safer.
      As for fire system, sure I will look around. I had found several systems removed because the companies went out, bought out, changed due to EPA.
      So I looked at several Top Fuel fire bottles that used "other" stuff and could be upgraded to a type of foam, similar to the stuff used on aircraft carriers.
      This stuff I was shown literally fills the enginecompartment with fire retardant foam, taking up all air space. it can also be pointed at the driver about waist high and fills bottom half of passenger compartment.
      Also has couple nozzles that spray around the gas tankone above, between tank and body and on both sides and front. Fairly impressivesetup that allowed a guy to but older setups.
      Now most of those setups are gone and havent talked to them in several years. But when car engulfed in flames from fuel leak goes out in litterally 2 or 3 seconds, and whole car WAS on fire. Like from a leak or such.
      Still looking ,local fire safety business that does restaurants, and other businesses.
      They have a product I am gonna look at and the application is similar.
      The funny part was the first system I saw reminded me of a washing machine overflow.
      But safety is part of our "business".
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Hitting that balance between street comfort/useability and safety at high speeds. That's the trick. There isn't a "perfect situation" where all parameters are met so it comes down to compromise. Every individual will draw the line in a different spot, and that individual's opinion will vary from car to car.
      That's exactly right. There is no simple answer. There is, however, a way to present a series of scenarios that affect the safety gear decisions applied to each situation -- starting with the two biggies:
      -- Just how fast will you actually go?
      -- Will you have rear seat passengers?

There are other considerations, but you can get pretty far if you answer those two questions. Forego rear seat passengers and a 4 pt roll bar with harness bar and proper harnesses is an easy call.

There are also a few misconceptions such as "Old cars are safe because they used thicker metal back in the day". Dumb, and... "Roll bar tubing is hard, and therefore dangerous. Dumber. It's like saying "War is bad." Really? Don't let anyone tell you that your old car's dashboard, roof, or doors tickle on impact. They hurt. They're dangerous. That doesn't mean everyone should have a roll cage. Just don't assume that you're safe without one.

The real problem is that these cars are just plain fast. The biggest safety risks are $%^*-ing around on the street (cross traffic, on-coming traffic, immovable obstacles, pedestrians), as well as equipment failure and fire.
      Last edited by Damn True; 10-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      I will never argue against safety.....ever. But looking at that list and seeing pics of your car.....because race car. Hitting that balance between street comfort/useability and safety at high speeds. That's the trick. There isn't a "perfect situation" where all parameters are met so it comes down to compromise. Every individual will draw the line in a different spot, and that individual's opinion will vary from car to car.
      I agree, I guarantee I'd get knocked out hitting my head on that bar pulling in the Seven Eleven parking lot.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68 View Post
      That's exactly right. There is no simple answer. There is, however, a way to present a series of scenarios that affect the safety gear decisions applied to each situation -- starting with the two biggies:
      -- Just how fast will you actually go?
      -- Will you have rear seat passengers?

There are other considerations, but you can get pretty far if you answer those two questions. Forego rear seat passengers and a 4 pt roll bar with harness bar and proper harnesses is an easy call.

There are also a few misconceptions such as "Old cars are safe because they used thicker metal back in the day". Dumb, and... "Roll bar tubing is hard, and therefore dangerous. Dumber. It's like saying "War is bad." Really? Don't let anyone tell you that your old car's dashboard, roof, or doors tickle on impact. They hurt. They're dangerous. That doesn't mean everyone should have a roll cage. Just don't assume that you're safe without one.

The real problem is that these cars are just plain fast. The biggest safety risks are $%^*-ing around on the street (cross traffic, on-coming traffic, immovable obstacles, pedestrians), as well as equipment failure and fire.
      well said.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

I put a 4pt roll bar with a removable cross bar,after getting a ride along in the 48hour camaro,and the schwartz performace tempest,and watching the rttc event at el torro...i just saw it as the smart thing to add to my car before even thinking i need more power under the hood.i said to my wife(i know that little small block 350 has enough power to kill or hurt myself ,so im installing the roll bar...she thinks it was a great idea.)i am thinking of doing the door bars too.phil
      72 chevelle.

I am leaning towards a ridetech Tigercage because my two sons love to take rides in the car, and I dont want them banging their heads on bars.

But I am also keeping in mind, the whole side of the back seat area is metal body.
      Mike

These old cars are definitely not safe. I'm installing a 10 point chassis works pro touring cage in my 68 Camaro if anyone was interested in seeing the fit, labor , etc. I'll start a new thread if anyone wanted to see. I also posted an interesting video below, maybe some of you have seen but for those who haven't....
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5P...e_gdata_player

My 2cents.
      Two things happened to my circle of friends this year.

1. A passenger passed away after a car crash at a HPDE
      2. A personal friends car burned to the ground at a HPDE

Since both events happened we have taken safety a bit more serious. We have installed a roll bar per the 2013 SCCA rule book and installed a fire suppression system. If you are going to Track Day your vehicle the speeds will be in excess and you are taking a chance if you are not properly prepared for the worst case scenario. My Camaro is driven weekly on the street and the roll bar doesn't really ever come into play besides the fact you cannot get in the back seat.
      I don't know how or why most people in our group avoid the fact that Track Day events have the potential to be just as dangerous as racing.
      1967 Camaro -377, T56, Complete Ridetech
      1963 Nova SS Convertible - LS1, 2.8L Kenne Bell 8lbs., T56, Scotts Front Clip, HTH Truck Arm

Hey Guys,

I'm half way done with writing the start of the track safety thread. But some suspension design projects came up and I won't get to complete this & launch the thread until after SEMA.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com