Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Tim john--- View Post
      Attachment 82092

Todd, Good morning. Attachment 82092Here is a photo of the floor pan brace on a 69 Firebird. This is not my actual car, I captured this image online with a quick Google search. Hopefully you can make out and determine if you can assist in any way. Very much appriciated.

Some how I ended up with two images of the same photo ? Various vendors do offer a tapered wedge / shim to lower this brace (one one each side of the brace) for exhaust clearance but my preference is to have a nice clean and professional installation, not shims, wedges and bandaid affairs.

Tim john---
      My eyecrometer is giving me inconclusive results based on this image as I need to be able to see a familiar reference point to jusge off of, like the front subframe location relative to the brace. Let me know if you can come up with something in that regard Tim.

Todd

Todd, Here is another image of the convertible floor brace in position. They must have the "wedge" or shims in place to snake the exhaust in there as shown. I do not know this for fact but wanted to provide you with a reference photo. Also note that the floor pan braces are diffeent than a hardtop car. The "X" brace they show on this vehicle appears to be an aftermarket, probably makes sense thus the exhaust routing.

Tim john---
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Todd, Here is another image of the convertible floor brace in position. They must have the "wedge" or shims in place to snake the exhaust in there as shown. I do not know this for fact but wanted to provide you with a reference photo. Also note that the floor pan braces are diffeent than a hardtop car. The "X" brace they show on this vehicle appears to be an aftermarket, probably makes sense thus the exhaust routing.

Tim john---
      Thanks Tim, the location of the X-brace and difference in the floor panels is much clearer to me now. How about a shot of the X-brace from the side of the car, like the angle perspective I provided of the Hooker system? If you can provide that I should be able to arrive at a conclusive decision as to the likelyhood of the 2.5" Hooker system working for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      That tucks up real nice. I have Dynatech headers on my 67 after the LS swap, and the headers hang real low, about 3.5 from the ground. I may have to look into your new header once it's released.
      Thanks for the comments Rickpaw. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use the headers unless you are also willing to install the matching Hooker engine and transmission mounting components due to the unique geometry they all provide to get the fitment spot-on. This attached image of the header tube geometry around the steering box should give you a good idea why there is very little flexibility in engine positioning for installing these headers...the fitment of the primary tubes (1-7/8" in this case) around the steering box,and the spark plug clearance is awesome however as you can see.

Depending on the price point, I might do just that. I'd like to lower the car a bit more, but unable to do so due to the headers hanging too low.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Quote Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
      Depending on the price point, I might do just that. I'd like to lower the car a bit more, but unable to do so due to the headers hanging too low.
      I understand rickpaw. If you head over to summit racing and check the prices of our new long tube headers, engine mount bracket kits and crossmembers that we've recently released that will give you a good indication of what you can expect to pay for the 1st-gen stuff once it hits the shelf. There will probably be various Hooker/Holley dealers that will also be willing to put together a package deal for you as all the components will be sold separately. Thanks for sharing your comments.

Now that this thread has officially been hijacked, I can post an update about some of my findings. A muncie 4 speed driveshaft fits a t56, I connected them and turned it. The input shaft turned with the driveshaft. So I guess the conclusion is that a muncie driveshaft works with a t-56. Now I just need to find a crossmember that wont have complications and wont break the bank.

Todd, Here is about the best factory image that I can come up with for now. This is a friends un-restored car up in Canada, it is a 69 Firebird Comanche convertible. Todd, I am ready to pull the trigger on LS engine mounts, cross member and the exhaust system (2 1/2") to move the project along so confirmation as soon as reasonable would be of great help. Also please keep in mind that I desire to keep the factory modern GTO exhaust manifolds and as a reminder the car has been mini tubbed with DSE tubs. *NOTE* You can see the ends of the front sub frame in the photo for factory location. He did not have a side view like the one you posted earlier to show like for like. Thank You once again for staying with me for a solution.

Tim john---

Todd, Here is about the best factory image that I can come up with for now. This is a friends un-restored car up in Canada, it is a 69 Firebird Comanche convertible. Todd, I am ready to pull the trigger on LS engine mounts, cross member and the exhaust system (2 1/2") to move the project along so confirmation as soon as reasonable would be of great help. Also please keep in mind that I desire to keep the factory modern GTO exhaust manifolds and as a reminder the car has been mini tubbed with DSE tubs. *NOTE* You can see the ends of the front sub frame in the photo for factory location. He did not have a side view like the one you posted earlier to show like for like. Thank You once again for staying with me for a solution.

Tim john---
      Great shot Tim, I can tell conclusively that both the 2.5" and 3" Hooker exhaust systems will not fit the convertible chassis. I hope there's a chance for you to experience some of the new Hooker 1st or 2nd-gen F-body swap parts in the future, even though they don't meet your needs for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by 69greyghost View Post
      Now that this thread has officially been hijacked, I can post an update about some of my findings. A muncie 4 speed driveshaft fits a t56, I connected them and turned it. The input shaft turned with the driveshaft. So I guess the conclusion is that a muncie driveshaft works with a t-56. Now I just need to find a crossmember that wont have complications and wont break the bank.
      I'd say you're right about the hijacking greyghost, but I think we've made the trip fun and educational at least. If you are going to be running a 2.5" exhaust system that will help you in acheiving the highest possible exhaust ground clearance in your finished project, since none of the universal crossmembers tuck up into the floor pockets to maximize exhaust routing clearance. I good fabricatior will get you as much ground clearance as he can, but they will be limited by the amount of room they have to work with around the crossmember. Of the universal crossmembers I've seen the BMR unit might be the best bet for you in terms of the combination of adjustability and affordability. Whatever crossmember you choose, just be sure to check your engine inclination/U-joint working angles after it's installed and adjust as needed.

Good morning Todd, That is not what I wanted to hear, dang it. Seeing that my car is under rotisserie construction as we speak would you and your team be interested in designing a system on my car, for my car and then you would have a system all scienced out for similar applications. Car is a 69 Firebird convertible, will have a modern GTO LS-1 engine in stock form preferably with the stock GTO exhaust manifolds, car is mini tubbed with DSE tubs and will have a Tremec T-56 six speed when all is said and done. If so please do let me know and we can shake out the details. I really like what you have in the works and would certainly go there given the opportunity. Thank you for all the correspondence thus far. Take Care Todd.

Tim john--

Good morning Todd, That is not what I wanted to hear, dang it. Seeing that my car is under rotisserie construction as we speak would you and your team be interested in designing a system on my car, for my car and then you would have a system all scienced out for similar applications. Car is a 69 Firebird convertible, will have a modern GTO LS-1 engine in stock form preferably with the stock GTO exhaust manifolds, car is mini tubbed with DSE tubs and will have a Tremec T-56 six speed when all is said and done. If so please do let me know and we can shake out the details. I really like what you have in the works and would certainly go there given the opportunity. Thank you for all the correspondence thus far. Take Care Todd.

Tim john--
      Hello Tim. Developing any applications outside of our current schedule is unfortunately not possible since we are entering a very important time of the year for us, which is preparation for both the SEMA and PRI shows. With that said, and depending on certain variables and your schedule, it wouldn't be out of the realm of what we do to take you up on your offer/request. Nothing would be able to take place until after the PRI show in December at the earliest, so I don't know how that plays into your build schedule. If you are running a stock style rear leaf spring suspension, I don't have much concern that your mini tubes cannot be accomodated with the bend geometry of the Hooker 2.5" system through some minor modification of the tailpipe/tip assemblies. Before we get too far along, it would also be good to know where you are located to determine if the geographical distance between us is not preventative to us doing a project of this nature together.

Let me know and thanks for the putting the offer out there to consider.

Todd

Good morning Todd, I have sent you a PM with my contact information so that we can stay in touch, please do reply with yours when you get a free moment. Thank you.

Tim john---

Has a firm release date been established for this new kit, I will be looking to start installation later this year with a LS1/T56 combo in a 68 Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by 32deucecoupe View Post
      Has a firm release date been established for this new kit, I will be looking to start installation later this year with a LS1/T56 combo in a 68 Camaro.
      Release of all of the parts for this application is expected by the SEMA show, but they will be become available in a staggered fashion between now and then as they are all separately packaged products even though they were designed to work together as a comprehensive system of components. There is no feasible way to package "kits" to put on the shelf as there are just too many possible combinations of parts that will be available to the end user. It will be easy for you howeverto build your own package by combining the engine mount kit with the proper crossmember for your transmission (in your case a T56) and then decide what style of headers you want (mid-length or full-length), what material and/or finish you want them in (painted or ceramic coated mild steel, or premium stainless steel) and what size (2.5" or 3") exhaust system you want to run, if you are going to install a Hooker exhaust system. I'm sure our distribution partners will become creative in putting together and offering "kits" for you that will give you some sort of quantity purchase discount.

Todd,

Would you mind posting the ls mounting equipment part numbers? I want to make sure Im looking at the correct mounts for my 69 camaro ls1/t56 combo.

Thanks,

Zak

Just a couple of weeks away from SEMA. Looking forward to seeing the new parts.

Just a couple of weeks away from SEMA. Looking forward to seeing the new parts.
      I'll be at the Hooker booth all week, so come on by and say hello and shoot the bull a bit. While you're there you can take some photos for the other members here and post them up. I look forward to meeting any pro-touring members at the show so I can get your perspective/opinion on these swaps and ideas for products you'd like to see come to the market.

Todd

What crossmembers and driveshaft work for an ls swap in a gen 1 camaro?

I will actually be on a hunting trip during SEMA but look forward to the photos and posts. I hope you have a great time.
      Jeff

I will actually be on a hunting trip during SEMA but look forward to the photos and posts. I hope you have a great time.
      It's been five years since I last went to the SEMA show, so I look forward to getting back and hearing feedback on all the new Hooker products and requests for new products we might want to develop. Good luck in your hunting endeavors, hopefully they will be successful.

Todd

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com