Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      just awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by peices of eight... View Post
      Hi Tom, Great looking shop! curious as to what your roof rafter span is? also what are the requirements for bearing attachment i.e. hanger brackets for your area? you mentioned steel trusses? great job on that ridge beam! do plan on marking out your seat cuts or do install your rafters and adjust with the tails? stay safe!
      The rafters are 26' long including the tail overhang, the actual span is only 20' though with the 8/12 pitch. Connecting to the ridge board will just be nailed from both sides, tied together just below the peak with a 2x6 and again below that with a 16' 2x6. Where the rafters set on the wall they have "bird mouths" cut in them to let them set down on the wall. The trusses over the open area are wooden pole barn trusses 6' on center.

Thanks for the compliment on the family! I am a very lucky man!

Cutting and installing the rafters is taking longer than we expected, but forward progress is always good. We're down to just 14 more to cut and install. Sadly, Sam will be gone all of next week down at DSE during his fall break. Luckily, Kaytlin's new father-in-law is a school teacher and will be available to help out for the next two weeks!

We had been storing the wagon in the new shop while we were getting it ready for Bowler Transmission's "A day at the strip" autocross. Well, I needed to pull it out to get ready to load. The virgin concrete was just begging for some tire marks....

Love it!!
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Just a quick update with some pictures. Finishing the rafters seemed to take forever and now putting up the purlins for the metal roof on the 16" on center rafters is crazy tedious. But, it all has to get done...

I had family help with all the rafters except the last four. I never want to try that again by myself!

Both cars temporarily stored after returning from Bowler Transmission's Day at the Strip event.

Another almost $1400 in lumber! Not sure where all my buddies that are into crossfit are while we're loading and unloading material..

Just some rafter pictures

Hours of working on purlins only got us half way up one side.

And here is where we were as of last night. Tough to see upstairs but we started putting in the ceiling joists to tie the rafters together and give it more stability before moving on.

Looks great!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Great progress!!!
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

Looks nice, will be a lot of enjoyment when it's done

Looks good. Why the 2x purlins on top of the I-joist rafters?

Quote Originally Posted by typerr View Post
      Looks good. Why the 2x purlins on top of the I-joist rafters?
      The purlins are for the metal roof to fasten to. It will run in sheets from top to bottom.

Country Flag: Canada
      It helps create Space for airflow... Preventing condensation and possible mould growth. It let's the sofit (area behind the gutters ) flow air to the roof peak. While still allowing the roof to be insulated and finished on the inside
      Ryan Austin

Country Flag: Greece
      got to finish reading this. Brings back memories of when we did the same as kids several times.

Very nice shop!!! I remember build mine, 30x40 single story shop.

Looks pretty spiffy, Little Tommie. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

PS. Tom: Taking a pass on 10/10ths this weekend at Putnam Park...and thanx for the invite.

Rich
      Rich

'Wicked Witch'...1969 Camaro, Mast Motorsports LS-3, Magnum T-56, DSE suspension & BFG Rival-S on Forgeline wheels.
      A herd of stock #'s-matching '69 Camaros.

Looking good Tom.

Nice to see you again, and meet Sam at DSE last night!

Good luck at GG Charlotte!
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Nice looking shop hope to pick up a few ideas from ya..

Quote Originally Posted by bonecrrusher View Post
      Looking good Tom.
      Nice to see you again, and meet Sam at DSE last night!
      Good luck at GG Charlotte!
      Good to see you too! Sorry I didn't recognize you with the beard right off the bat. Sam finished fourth and I was third in the street machine class. Good times!

Garage is looking really nice!

Sam and I are on our way back from a Chevelle road trip to Goodguys Charlotte and he's driving so I thought I would do a quick update.

Setting trusses has been a bigger job than we had hoped. With the help of a couple of young guys from my National Guard unit, Kaytlin's new father-in-law and of course Deb and Sam it is really not hard to get them lifted up in place, but running the purlins for the metal roof takes forever!

This was a week ago at the end of the day. All our help came over after church so we got a late start.

This is what the lazy dogs do when they are not chasing a tennis ball while we're building. Good shot of the 66 too.

And this is what it looks like now. Actually this was at the end of the day on Wednesday. Two more trusses to go and I will build my own gable. Hopefully it will happen pretty quick this week.

I really like the sheer size of the shop. The different shots you have posted with the cars parked in there really give you some perspective. I am sure you may not think so, but it seems to be coming together pretty quickly.
      Stephen

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com