Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Glad Sam's okay! The shop is really starting to come together. Good job y'all!

GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Shops looking good!!!

Floor is complete upstairs and trusses have been delivered for the open area.

Hey Tom, where in Moooresville are you located, got some friends who live up near there. One works at prison Pendelton?
      and my nephew just built a house somewhere up in Indy.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Quote Originally Posted by MonzaRacer View Post
      Hey Tom, where in Moooresville are you located, got some friends who live up near there. One works at prison Pendelton?
      and my nephew just built a house somewhere up in Indy.
      Mooresville is just southwest of the Indy airport and we're in southwest Mooresville off Keller Hill Rd and SR 42.

Rained all day, but Deb, Sam and I were able to get the stairs completed today. Normally we build stairs at the completion of a project, but I figured with all the work that needs to be done upstairs this would save us time in the long run. The guy I worked for framing houses many years ago never taught me to build stairs, but I watched him more times than I can count and luckily I picked up a few things.

Tom, Shop is progressing well. I like the design, looking forward to seeing it full of projects. Also glad Sam wasn't injured worse doing the accident.

Chris

Chris
      1967 ElCamino
      2004 Chevy SSR (my sons)
      1951 Chevy pickup(my sons)

1967 Elky https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...587-Evil-Angel

1951 truck https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...3-year-old-son

Nice looking Shop!

looking good tom.....
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Thought these pictures might give a better perspective of the height of the trusses. They are two pieces and we will attach the top once they are stood. Because we are going with a metal roof the truss engineers talked us into using pole barn trusses at 6' on center. Definitely not what I like, but they really wanted us to go 9' on center but I just couldn't agree to that. Of course the two story section will be a rafter system.

It took a little work, but we were able to shove two trusses up to the second floor. Luckily Kaytlin's new father-in-law pulled up as we were doing the first one. Great guy and incredibly hard worker!

Deb can't do anything without getting dirty. This was the ink from the back of the OSB that we are using for sheeting the sides. To me she looks as good in her work clothes as she does dressed up!

Starting to take shape. We still need to add tails to the trusses for overhangs and soffits.

Looking good Tom.

We used a skid loader with a ram attachment to set our trusses. Hooked a strap to the top of the truss and the end of the ram, lifted it up, drove the loader into place with a guy on each end of the truss with a rope, raised it up, had 2 more guys one on each wall nailing the trusses in place, then on to the next one. Ours were on 24" centers though, so a LOT more of them. Started at 7 am, set the last truss in place at 11 am. Spent the rest of the day tying everything in place and started on sheeting the roof. The tips of the trusses are separate pieces to make trucking the trusses onto the site easier, sure adds a lot of work though.

Looks good so far, doing the work yourself is hard but well worth it in the end. Plus it's quality family bonding time.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Great shop build. I would build something like that and live in a room... Just like home... Nothing like a shop that has enough space for pretty much anything.

Dang Tom, that thing is gonna be huge!

You going to LS fest at IRP in a couple weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      We used a skid loader with a ram attachment to set our trusses. Hooked a strap to the top of the truss and the end of the ram, lifted it up, drove the loader into place with a guy on each end of the truss with a rope, raised it up, had 2 more guys one on each wall nailing the trusses in place, then on to the next one. Ours were on 24" centers though, so a LOT more of them. Started at 7 am, set the last truss in place at 11 am. Spent the rest of the day tying everything in place and started on sheeting the roof. The tips of the trusses are separate pieces to make trucking the trusses onto the site easier, sure adds a lot of work though.

Looks good so far, doing the work yourself is hard but well worth it in the end. Plus it's quality family bonding time.
      Thanks Lance,
      We have plenty of experience with 24" O.C. trusses and 16" O.C. rafter systems, but this 6' deal is going to add a whole lot more thought. I should be able to rally a few National Guard guys, more family and of course Deb and the kids to make it happen.
      As far as doing the work ourselves, I totally agree with you about the family thing and the satisfaction but probably the biggest reason we do our own work when possible is just the financial aspect of it. Simple math says we can afford a much larger shop doing it ourselves. Plenty of sore muscles, gray hair and edgy tempers, but we wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 85coupe50 View Post
      Great shop build. I would build something like that and live in a room... Just like home... Nothing like a shop that has enough space for pretty much anything.
      Maybe years from now we can sell our house to Sam or Kaytlin and Deb and I can live in the shop. Better put in an elevator...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyP View Post
      Dang Tom, that thing is gonna be huge!

You going to LS fest at IRP in a couple weeks?
      Thanks Buddy! Never heard anyone say "I wish I had built a smaller shop"...

We won't make the LS deal at IRP due to the fact that we'll be down at Bowler's Day at the strip event. More auto-x runs than you can shake a stick at!

Alright, I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but getting the ridge board up today was huge. Not sure of the weight, but it's 26' of 2x12" and had to be lifted 18' to be mounted.

We tried last Friday with ratcheting straps but after the winds picked up and it started to rain I had to admit failure. Grrrr!

Worked 48 hours over the weekend at the firehouse and was able to war game a better plan and pick up some pulleys and nylon rope. (Harbor Freight is in our fire district). I'm not saying it was easy, but it went much better for Deb, Sam and I.

Country Flag: Canada
      Hi Tom, Great looking shop! curious as to what your roof rafter span is? also what are the requirements for bearing attachment i.e. hanger brackets for your area? you mentioned steel trusses? great job on that ridge beam! do plan on marking out your seat cuts or do install your rafters and adjust with the tails? stay safe!

Country Flag: Canada
      Tom, you have an amazing family!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com