Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

AGR 14:1 Race Steering Box Install C10 1500 - manual to power conversion

Name:  _MG_0272AGR.jpg
Views: 10032
Size:  190.7 KB
      Attachment 81220

Thought I would share my steering set-up. I looked at a few options - there are good options to choose from rack and box - I selected an AGR race box system. They built it to the the way I'm driving/racing/track size/ weight of vehicle/ size of steering wheel/wheel tire combo and desired road feel. I had no idea it could be customized to that extent. ONE thing - 14:1 is as fast as you can get on an outside frame mount steering box.

This install is on my '71 GMC 1500 long box and the parts are as listed:

REMEMBER: this parts list is for MY build and MY use. They can build to suit. This is ALMOST everything you need to complete the job:

Name:  _MG_9651_AGR.jpg
Views: 6909
Size:  189.5 KB

2042135 Race Box 14:1 - 220 valve
      804256 Hi-flow TC Combo Pump
      910811 Saginaw Flaire 6 AN Fitting Kit
      910700 Combo Pump Race hose Kit
      3/4" Rag joint - no part # AGR just had a few
      910607 - cooler
      910900 6AN Cooler Hose Kit

IN ADDITION you will need:
      rag joint (AGR happend to have one)
      to mount the cooler
      power steering pitman arm
      have an alignment done.
      power steering fluid - I'm using Royal Purple

NOTE: my pulley and mount are a Wegner Motorsports LS front drive kit. Amazing stuff.
      Name:  _MG_0282WEGNER.jpg
Views: 8157
Size:  188.5 KB

The big surprise - this is a bolt on kit AND it bolted on. Wrenches only. No welding. No drilling. No BFHs. No issues. Period.

Few things I learned along the way:

1) Cooler. The quicker the ratio, the hotter fluid gets. The more you drive in anger, the hotter the fluid gets. You're a pro-touring.com member, put the cooler on. I had to run my first race without the cooler and on my third run, I lost my power assist due to heat, it's been 100% perfect since I installed it.

2) AGR tech reco'd the TC pump with plastic attached reservoir. Turns out the plastic reservoir has amazing baffling compared to the remote aluminum counterparts. The plastic one also deals with heat better.

Name:  _MG_0291AGR.jpg
Views: 6156
Size:  131.2 KBName:  fitting_awful.jpg
Views: 5072
Size:  225.2 KBName:  AGR_hose_nut.jpg
Views: 4750
Size:  199.1 KB

3) Making the high pressure lines is easy, IF, IF, you do it right. I of course did it wrong to start. sigh. High Pressure nuts are left hand thread and are not like regular AN lines - different manufactures many not fit together - like not even close. I strongly recommend buying all of your fittings and hose at once from ONE manufacturer. FOLLOW this VIDEO from Earl's and you will never have an issue. I find Earl's tech videos NEVER let me down.

Power Steering Hose Assembly - YouTube

4) Rag Joint. AGR reco'd a 73-87 style rag joint - they are 3/4" and tougher. Our original 67-72 are smaller. This is important as the snub on the steering box MUST match.

5) TIP: Some steering kits mix 8AN and 6AN. AGR recos all 6AN incase something happens to the cooler - you can just bypass it, like you would with a damaged heater core, IF everything is 6AN.

I've been running this for the summer racing and general driving and love it.

Hope this is helpful in the pro-touring.com world.

Cheers,
      Bovey

Last edited by bovey; 08-22-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: picture problems

Country Flag: United States
      Bovey - very help information as I'm looking to upgrade the steering in the Camaro.

Thanks..

George Dias
      1973 Camaro
      2002 SVT Lightning
      2003 Z06 Corvette

2015 Truckin Throwdown Champion http://www.trucktrend.com/events/tru...by-ebc-brakes/

Country Flag: United States
      Thanks, maybe if I ever get my truck back I will come back and look at this! Looks very simple.....

Hey guys....does anyone know the stock ratio of a box off a 69 c10? I'm looking for a better box also and haven't come up with anything really that great. This its the best I've found out there so far. Has anyone found anything else latley?

thanx
      Chad

AGR 14:1 Race Steering Box Install C10 1500 - manual to power conversion

The manual box in my '71 was 24:1 - it was hectic flurry of hands autoXing.

For a true bolt on solution the AGR is great. There are other companies that make similar units, however they are all around the 14:1 ratio which is the performance limitation of the traditional box.

Look into No Limit's rack conversion. Maybe Rob will see this a chime in with an opinion.
      Last edited by bovey; 11-30-2014 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Adding information

Thanks bovey....a rack really isn't an option for me ....my truck has a stock power box on it now do you know what the ratio was for that? I'll look it up again but i didn't see any good info the last time i looked.
      Thanx
      Chad

Country Flag: Australia
      I have installed the AGR box on my 72 C10, very good improvement over the stock power steering box.
      Tracks much better in a straight line
      Roger Andrews

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
      72 C10 Stepside 350 4L60e - oldskool
      71 K5 Blazer

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com