Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Painless f5 fan controller

Anyone using this controller yet? Looks nice if it works as advertised. I'm looking to control my mark 8 fan.
      Steve

Country Flag: United States
      Pretty pricey. Delta Current Control offers very nice units for at least $100 less. And I don't think the Painless one will handle the high amp Ford fans like you have. It's only rated for 30 amps.

Based on their customer service, I don't think the dcc is my best bet.
      Has anyone used the painless f5 yet?
      Steve

Name:  IMG_20140709_211811_368.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  188.9 KB

I make a 3-speed relay based resistor harness for the Mark VIII fans-amp draw using 2 temp switches and a high speed bypass is generally 7, 14 and 22 without any spiking. If you are interested in a relay alternative, PM me for info to on it. The relays I use are rated @ 40 and 50 amps. I got fed up with all the "controllers" on the market that just don't seem to hold up over time.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Looks like Painless has the F5 controller for single, 70-amp fan, p/n 30141, that can work with the Mark 8 fan.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

I have one, the first one I received had issues. I returned it and received another fan controller with a few changes in the wiring. I did it exactly like it says and it seems to be working great. I would not be afraid to go this route. If you have questions call Painless and ask for Jason. He is a good guy and will answer all your questions.

For any pwm controller to stand up to a Mark VIII fan it better be able to handle up to 30-35A continuous amperage on high speed without getting too hot. This is assuming there is a built-in current limiter to handle the inrush current. I haven't had the opportunity to try the F5 controller though. I know relays will last the life of the install so I haven't looked back.
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

The new Deale pwm controller is a brute. It will easily handle MarkIII comfortably. http://derale.com/products/electric-...ontrollers/pwm
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

hmmmm well,

Personally I ran a big block 402 in my Monte, used ONE 84 Firenza fan/shroud. Basically same as my old 91 Cavalier. Ran screw in Chrysler temp sensor that fit. Wired to one,of the old oval gm relays. Filled car with old 3 row rad no issue. Had relay fused and wired directly to battery. Tied power for relay in from that wire and used temp sensor to ground relay. NEVER HAD COOLING ISSUE. AND FANS,NEVER RAN MORE THAN SAY 10 min. Max.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I have one installed on my 72 LeMans, it's running a dual DeRale electric fan setup. It is pretty easy to wire and install, took me 2 afternoons to complete. I just got my car on the road, and after about two weeks of driving, it cools the engine no problem (though it hasn't been over 60 degrees here since I started driving the car).

I just noticed the fans start to run at 100% all the time, which the instructions say could be caused by loss of temperature sensor signal. I checked the continuity with an ohm meter, and it's reading what it should. So I'm working with Painless to troubleshoot it right now, I'll get back to you on the cause of my issue. I tend to think my problem has more to do with my install, perhaps a loose wire somewhere, than a problem with the unit itself. But like I said, I'll keep you posted.

So a little more troubleshooting determined that the controller is running the fans at 100% when the engine is cold. When the engine heats up a bit, the fans turn off, and then start at 50% when temp gets to the fan on set point. I spent some time on the phone with Painless today, and they had me take some readings with a multimeter. Ultimately they couldn't explain the fan on at cold temperatures phenomenon. They told me to try it again tomorrow and let them know the outcome. I'll keep you up to date on what I find out.

It's been a while since I've been here, but bottom line is I've had a properly functioning F5 controller for over a year. After a lot of back and forth over the phone with Painless Performance, they had me send the unit back. Turns out I got a 'very rare' defective unit. They swore up and down that they really never have trouble with these units, so if it's not working properly it's almost always the customers fault.

So they sent me a replacement unit, and once I got it installed and calibrated I haven't had to touch it since. I set it to turn the fans on at 195, and even in mid August I don't really see temps above 200. It was probably September 2015 when I finally got this resolved and the new unit installed.

I would still recommend the unit to someone looking for a pwm fan controller despite the issues I had. It's easy to install, easy to calibrate, and works great to control engine temperature where it belongs. It helps that Painless Performance stands behind their products too.

I still prefer to use a resistor based relay setup-only because everything is GM and easy to source parts for....3 speeds and plenty of flexibility....I got tired a long time ago of everybody changing their designs because they can't handle OEM fans. I imagine Painless will change their design in a couple of years. I've been building dual 14" Motorcraft fans for the truck guys who want a massive fan kit and I don't think any controller can handle that assembly-approx 6000 CFM on high and pulls 35-38A on high speed. The fixed resistor board doesn't care about that tho-each speed is limited by % and it's still a relay powered system-again...easy to source parts. Of the controllers I have used in years past, I did like the DCC Delta control unit the best-but I don't need controllers anymore.
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

You might also check out dakota digital fan controller. I am extremely happy with mine

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07 View Post
      It's been a while since I've been here, but bottom line is I've had a properly functioning F5 controller for over a year. After a lot of back and forth over the phone with Painless Performance, they had me send the unit back. Turns out I got a 'very rare' defective unit. They swore up and down that they really never have trouble with these units, so if it's not working properly it's almost always the customers fault.

So they sent me a replacement unit, and once I got it installed and calibrated I haven't had to touch it since. I set it to turn the fans on at 195, and even in mid August I don't really see temps above 200. It was probably September 2015 when I finally got this resolved and the new unit installed.

I would still recommend the unit to someone looking for a pwm fan controller despite the issues I had. It's easy to install, easy to calibrate, and works great to control engine temperature where it belongs. It helps that Painless Performance stands behind their products too.
      That's funny, I must have a "Very Rare" unit also, mine comes on at 100%. I have double and triple checked the instructions to make sure I installed it correctly. It works good in that it always comes on when needed and off when not so I haven't chased it further, guess I'll have to give Painless a call.

Lol....yep like I said the aftermarket is always "updating" their controllers. Anymore Inuse 2010-up F150 and 2008-up Mustang GT fans so I've built up to the resistor harness design I use now for any and all fans.
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com