Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: New trucks.

Hybrid View

New trucks.

My wife is kind of pushing me to get a new truck in the next few months instead of letting me use the credit cart to finish up the project F100 off.

My project truck is getting closer to completion from a work stand point as days go by, and from a financial point less then $2000 dollars. To fix it up better for DD another $1000, but not necessary at first. Just more comfort, and it can be done as the weeks go by. It should sit at 20 mpg hwy when it hits the road with some room for improvement with an OD.

If she "makes" me get a new truck due to her being difficult which one would you get? I am looking at the new V6 versions of a RCSB because I don't want to pay that much, and if geared up they all should run hot enough for DD. Also I will do at least a 5-7 drop on the truck, add bigger sway bars, and performance shocks if not multiple shocks.

The Dodge Ram? 8 speed auto with a 300hp 6 gun. It has a 4 link rear, and available drop spindles for stock 17's. So with minor trimming, and a welder I can get my desired drop.

F150. 6 speed auto, and the proven by comparison 300hp 6 gun. Most difficult to lower, but from what I have seen a 3" z may not be too difficult. I do not want to run 20's just to use drop spindles.

GMC Sierra. 6 speed auto, and brand new 4.3 DI motor. Given GM's aftermarket history a big drop is practically an afternoon away bolting on parts.

Which one would likely have the most potential for handling? I can find lots of specs for the trucks, but none feature handling.
      Sitzungstiefpunkt und fahrend langsam

Country Flag: United States
      http://www.trucktrend.com/roadtests/...ab_comparison/

On mountain roads, the Ford performed admirably. Its steering was pleasantly quick, and the truck's handling felt modern and taut. That combination made driving on twisty roads entertaining.

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/c...er_runner.html

I'd say best to go out and test drive them.

Actually the "boss" should go out and test drive them then tell you which one to get...
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post
      Actually the "boss" should go out and test drive them then tell you which one to get...
      She doesn't likely care what I buy as long as it fits budget or some other diagram or flow chart she has in her mind.

When I got my 74 C20 she got mad I didn't get the CC dually because of lack of space. I would of loved to bought the dually, but time to turn it into a srw she would of thrown a fit. Plus I would have to bob the bed into a 5 foot bed so I could turn around or park easily.

Quote Originally Posted by astroracer View Post

Oh man ... it's only funny ... because it's true for a lot of us.

I really like the new Ford Ecoboost engines, turbo charged,good torque, towing, and can tweak if needed. Good MPG for what it can do

Livermore, CA
      American:
      1966 Chevelle SS "Tribute" Retro / Pro-Tour
      For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by cactuss4 View Post
      I really like the new Ford Ecoboost engines, turbo charged,good torque, towing, and can tweak if needed. Good MPG for what it can do
      I would cut the left one off for a Eco-boost rclb which would turn into a rcsb, but they are likely to be a order only item. Autotrader last time I checked didn't have one with in 100 miles of me.

Also I am a regular cab guy. Not so much of a crew cab type, and with the miles I will likely end up driving. I would not want to waste the truck that way.

you could go all out like i did 2013 f250 power stroke. picked her up a few weeks ago
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      you could go all out like i did 2013 f250 power stroke. picked her up a few weeks ago

Way out of the budget, and cornering would not likely be in its future. I am looking for a cheap truck that handles pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
      Way out of the budget, and cornering would not likely be in its future. I am looking for a cheap truck that handles pretty well.

it corners great with a ton and a half on a trailer behind it!!
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

I bet you could cut the apex down with 4wd too.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com