Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Got Pics of your setup?

Rushforth Rated-X
      Front: 18x8, 4 7/8" backspacing, 245/40ZR18
      Rear: 19x8, 4 1/2" backspacing, 275/35ZR19
      Front lowered 2", rear lowered 1.5"
      - David
      1967 Camaro - In remembrance of my friend Scott

This may be an easy question for some of you to answer I simply cannot. I have a 1970 lemans I would like to go with 18 in the front and 20 in the rear. I had planned on taking my car to the tire shop and having them measure everything however, in all my wisdom I was installing a hotchkis suspension TVS and decided it made sense to do the disk brake conversion at the same time. This is great except the wheels that are on the car will not fit over the disks so Im kind of stuck. The suspension kit was supposed to drop the car roughly 1inch would I just subtract an inch from the height or is that now how it works? Im hoping to be able to simply order the wheels and tires and have them delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by lemans70 View Post
      This may be an easy question for some of you to answer I simply cannot. I have a 1970 lemans I would like to go with 18 in the front and 20 in the rear. I had planned on taking my car to the tire shop and having them measure everything however, in all my wisdom I was installing a hotchkis suspension TVS and decided it made sense to do the disk brake conversion at the same time. This is great except the wheels that are on the car will not fit over the disks so Im kind of stuck. The suspension kit was supposed to drop the car roughly 1inch would I just subtract an inch from the height or is that now how it works? Im hoping to be able to simply order the wheels and tires and have them delivered.
      Your brake parts supplier might be able to recommend a wheel brand or style that will clear the calipers. For example, Brembo or Wilwood one supplies templates that you can use to check the fitment of a wheel prior to mounting to the car. I used these templates to send to a wheel manufacturer to see if my desired wheel would work with the caliper. Sadly, they would not so I had to look for different brakes, LOL.

I would think that if the back side of the wheel (spokes for example) is fairly flat or doesn't have too agressive a curve toward the center of the barrel, you should be just fine with most 18" and 20" wheels over most brakes, where you might run into problems is your backspacing/offset and wheel width/tire width. There is a device out there called a 'wheelrite' I believe that you mount to the wheel mounting surface, set it to the desired wheel diameter and from there can play with wheel sizes. It appears to also have a wire to simulate tire sidewall and tread patch so you can get a rough idea of how well the wheel is going to fit on the car.

Here is a link to the Wheel Rite - http://www.percyshp.com/WheelRite.html

Good luck with that project!

Country Flag: United States

CCW Classics
      Bright Clear Anodized Machined Centers
      Fully Polished lips and barrels

Front
      18x8
      5" Backspace
      2" Lip
      245/40 ZR 18 Nitto Invo Tires
      Wilwood 6 piston 13" Brakes
      QA1 Adjustable Coilovers
      Global West Control Arms
      ADDCo Swaybar

Rear
      18x9.5
      5.5" Backspace
      3" Lip
      275/40 ZR 18 Nitto Invo Tires
      Wilwood 4 piston 12.19" Brakes
      Hotchkis 2" Drop Multileafs
      Just Rear Ends Ford 9" Complete Rear End
      QA1 Adjustable Shocks
      Caltracs Traction Bars
      ADDCo Swaybar

Very nice car and setup. I have a very similar setup. Mine is excellent right now but I am thinking of doing wilwood 13" as well and am alittle concerned about the .3 push out up front.

I have CCW LM 20's Black anodized centers and polished lip
      18x8 up front with a 4.75 BS, GW upper CA's, ridetech drop spindles and stock otherwise. 245/40/18 Nitto NT-05. GW 600# springs, 5/8 inch spacer (was a tad too low) Hellwig protour sway bars, Bilsteins. 1 degree neg camber helped a great deal to eliminate the rub

18x10.5 rear 6" BS with 1/4 spacer, rolled lip, massaged inside, 3" bump stops, GW CAT 5 springs, 1" block, 12 bolt, 285/40/18 NT-05R.

Quote Originally Posted by vdshenoy View Post

CCW Classics
      Bright Clear Anodized Machined Centers
      Fully Polished lips and barrels

Front
      18x8
      5" Backspace
      2" Lip
      245/40 ZR 18 Nitto Invo Tires
      Wilwood 6 piston 13" Brakes
      QA1 Adjustable Coilovers
      Global West Control Arms
      ADDCo Swaybar

Rear
      18x9.5
      5.5" Backspace
      3" Lip
      275/40 ZR 18 Nitto Invo Tires
      Wilwood 4 piston 12.19" Brakes
      Hotchkis 2" Drop Multileafs
      Just Rear Ends Ford 9" Complete Rear End
      QA1 Adjustable Shocks
      Caltracs Traction Bars
      ADDCo Swaybar

Quote Originally Posted by agent784 View Post
      Rushforth Livewire F235/40/18x8 R275/30/20x8.5

Attachment 36261

What's backspace did you use ant suspension please tubbed???

Gotta say love the wheel chart as well, way helpfull.

Is there a data base?

2nd Gen T/A on 18's and 19's

We are nearing the final stages of finalizing our wheel and tire fitment, so I thought that we would share it with you. The subject car is my 1981 Pontiac Trans Am S.E. We have been toying around with many wheel and tire combos. Still haven't settled on one yet but are very close. The front of the car will retain it's stock front sub frame, with our own uppers and lowers, with Corvette C6Z spindles and brakes. We have Detroit Speed uppers and lowers on in these photos, we are not using them because we needed a wider track width when using Corvette spindles and offsets. In the rear of the car, we will be using a a conventional Detroit speed mini tub set, with a near stock width Ford 9" rear end with a watts link set up, and our own trailing arms and torque tube. The front wheels in the pics are Corvette Z-06 "spider" wheels (18" x 9.5", +40 offset) and the rears are (19" x 12", +59 offset).

Name:  photo(17).JPG
Views: 3955
Size:  88.8 KBName:  photo(15).JPG
Views: 3971
Size:  106.4 KBName:  photo(12).JPG
Views: 3915
Size:  125.6 KBName:  photo(10).JPG
Views: 4986
Size:  113.8 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images        

Quote Originally Posted by mario65 View Post
      Very nice car and setup. I have a very similar setup. Mine is excellent right now but I am thinking of doing wilwood 13" as well and am alittle concerned about the .3 push out up front.

I have CCW LM 20's Black anodized centers and polished lip
      18x8 up front with a 4.75 BS, GW upper CA's, ridetech drop spindles and stock otherwise. 245/40/18 Nitto NT-05. GW 600# springs, 5/8 inch spacer (was a tad too low) Hellwig protour sway bars, Bilsteins. 1 degree neg camber helped a great deal to eliminate the rub

18x10.5 rear 6" BS with 1/4 spacer, rolled lip, massaged inside, 3" bump stops, GW CAT 5 springs, 1" block, 12 bolt, 285/40/18 NT-05R.

Damn what a nice Bird!

Front Suspension: Factory upper and lower control arms fitted with Global West delrin busing, Hotchkis front sway bar, QA1 double adjustable coilovers.

Rear Suspension: Factory mono-leafs (for now)

Front Wheels: 17x8.5 5" bs 255/40r17 Falken Azenis

Rear Wheels: 17x8.5 5" bs 275/40r17 Falken Azenis

I know its not much yet, but I have a slow rolling project that I can drive while I build it (only posting pictures and specs as a reference for others)
      Attached Images Attached Images    

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

I would also add to the table a column for stock rearend width or custom width, otherwise we would have to assume all of the sizes are based on stock dimensions. Just a thought.

Is this a dead thread or is there an actual active database someplace? I went thru the entire thread, never saw the actual database or a link to it.

Mike

It is in the very 1st post. The database needs to be updated.

Trying to find out what the biggest/ widest tire /rim fit for my 69 Ford Torino is. I want to go with widest on rear, hopefully 10" wide. and 8" on front.

I can add my car to the Data base now as I finally have them installed and no issues. 1979 Chevy Malibu, pretty much stock front suspension with S10 Blazer spindles, sealed hubs, and brakes added, frame notched in the rear and mini-tubbed, Stock length 8.5 rear axle with disc brakes added. Front wheels are 18x9.5 with 275/35/17 tires, 5.45" backspacing. Rear wheels are 18x10.5 with 295/35/18 tires, 5.95" backspacing. No issues so far with rubs or scrubs other than slight rubbing on the sway bar at full lock.

Untitled by malibu_lvr, on Flickr

Untitled by malibu_lvr, on Flickr
      Last edited by malibulvr; 09-14-2017 at 08:15 AM. Reason: PICS

68 Firebird with complete TCI Engineering chassis (rear torque arm and front subframe), C6Z06 Kore3 front brake kit and hubs, CPP rear big brake kit

Wheels (all 4) are c5Z06 Speedline wheels 18x10.5 with 8.03 backspace (+58mm offset).
      Tires (all 4) BFG Rival S 315/30-18

Front, 1.75" spacer/adapters - ~6.3" backspace, -2.5deg camber
      Rear, 1" spacer/adapters - ~7" backspace

Rear is minitubbed up to the frame (no frame cutting) and has stock width 10 bolt housing and axle length

In the front I moved the wheel wells inward an inch (by separating the wheel well from the front portion and drilling two new holes for the bolts on the roof of well to fender) and cut the outer part out (the part you cannot see from the engine compartment) and replaced it with sheet metal with a more square cross section, and rolled the lip of the front fender (all the way, cracked the paint a little near the edge--underneath where the chrome trim used to go).

To do this I put the car up on jack stands, took out the front coil overs and experimented by moving the suspension through its shock and steering travel. I put the outer sidewall of the tire as far out as it would go so it just clears the rolled lip under full bump and medium steering angles (and medium bump and full steering angles). Turning radius feels about like stock again, not great but workable--since the wider tire makes up for the inset frame rails (TCI Eng front subframe has inset frame rails from stock).

No rubbing after optima and Cars and Cones many AutoX's and fully loaded (with passenger) road miles. Only rubbing is at full lock in parking lot. Haven't done a good guys course yet, but it's great for normal AutoX courses and road courses. Will get spacers for steering rack (thanks to Chad-1stgen for the info) to act as a hard stop so rubbing won't occur and I can confidently whip the wheel around a GG course--finger's crossed i can make the turns ;-) (worst case can put 275s back on for GG, and still the mod is a net benefit).

-Mitch
      G8 GXP, White Hot, Auto, bone stock
      68 Firebird, 428 Pontiac, CNC'd KRE Al d-ports, hyd roller, EFI, TKO600, TCI Eng complete chassis, Ridetech, Kore3 C6Z brakes, C5Z 18" with 315 rivals x4, C6zr1 mufflers
      RRR, NASA HPDE https://youtu.be/DPp1l9-FuNE

My car is not quite finished yet but here is the first shot in the sun in 11 years.

Wheels Beyern Mesh 18 x 9.5 15+mm w Nitto 555 255 45's all the way around.

Tony

Car: 1970 El Camino

Wheel Make: American Racing TT

Wheel Model: VN215

Front Size: 18x9

Front Backspace: 5.0" (0 offset)

Rear Size: 20x10

Rear Backspace: 5.75" (+6 offset)

Front Tire Size: 255/35/18 Nitto 555 G2

Rear Tire Size: 305/30/20 Nitto 555 G2

Suspension mods: UMI 2" drop springs (rear) CCP 2" drop spindles (front) KYB & Gabriel shocks, OEM control arms, front & rear (rebuilt w/rubber bushings) FWDB (stock 11" front, 11" Right Stuff rear)
      Entire suspension and brakes will be upgraded in the near future, as well as new wheels and tires. Just ordered C5/C6 front brake kit from Tobin @ Kore3. Also ordered ridetech single-adjustable front shocks.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com