Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Australia

Let there be a chev in the garage!!!!!

Ok so, the story goes.... I bought a 68 396 original SS camaro sight unseen (except for a couple of photo's) off of ebay a few weeks ago, Buy it now option! (the car has a 454 in her now though)

I paid the guy upfront, took him for street cred and the sound of his voice. (I settled outside of ebay, a big risky decision, but paid off well in the long run) And at this stage I did not know what shipping costs would eventuate to, but it felt right. The car would be coming from about as far physically away as i could get without leaving the country. About 8000k/m's away i guess.

I got her boxed up in a container and got her sent to me via the rail system.

I dealt with the shipping yard in perth for the quote and box up. Everything orgainsed, and paid for upfront after a week or so of negoitations etc.

The guy selling me the car offered to box and send off the car as a last sign of respect to her. I naturally accepted his offer. A week or so goes by, sleeples nights included free of charge.

Getting close to delivery time and decided i'd ring the local shipping guys to see where the container was. But they knew nothing of it. Now i was starting to get worried, and thinking i been stooged.

The container arrived today at about 10:30, half hour before scheduled, and would be ready for me to pick up about 11:00... It was great timing, and i'd been trying to occupy my thoughts for the morning with miscellaneous stuff.

I have been hardly able to sleep for the last 3 weeks with anticipation, and woke about a dozen times last night with excitement.

I get to the shipping yard, looking around eagerly.. There were strict instructions that the container was not to be opened without me present. The guy says 'yeah i know about the container with the car in it, come with me' I signed the induction slip and got the orange 'safety vest' on in miracle timing. We start walking towards the brand new container sitting on its lonesome in the middle of the yard. Sweet, everyone so far seems to respect this car and go out of their way to treat her good.

The guy cuts the 'security seal' off the door, (good i know no-one has seen her yet), and all the zip ties holding the handles etc. Opens the door, and says 'Mate, if i'd have known this baby was in here, she wouldnt have been sitting here sealed up', i say 'yeah, thats why there was directions that no ***** was to open the container, cap'ice'

So after him picking all the things wrong with her, and telling me there's a lot of work in her, he leaves me and the car alone. I go to tying down the boot, and the bonnet and all other things that may come loose on the short journey home on the tilt tray. The truck should be about 15 minutes away, a friend of mine drives it, so i dont wanna be running late.

I fix the steering up and a few other things that need attention in the meantime, getting her ready to roll out and make her debut...

We load her up on the tray, and drive off with me in hot pursuit behind in the little work car. Following the truck i can't help but notice people taking notice, almost falling off bikes, and looking without concentrating on the road as the truck drives bye. This is as the car is sitting in primer and a crap set of daisys under her. (imagine what attention she'll get when looking sexy!)

We get her home, and push her up the driveway to my cleaned out garage. Home sweet home.

The car has me in awe every time i look at it, has a certain aura around it.

This car is sort of my mid life crisis, i'm only 27 though, am i allowed to have one yet?

I could sit and stare at the engine for hours, it's mesmorising. I can see why you guys have such an unhealthy obsession with these cars.

I can't beleive how easy these things are to work on. I had a 66 mustang when i was much younger, and it was not quite as simple. I love this car....!!!

I've spent all day with the car pretty much, and she is great company. I spent most of the time unloading the car of it's spare parts, with the occasional surprise of N.O.S parts.

Hang tight, photos will follow soon.

Country Flag: United States
      What a great story.

What's your plan for the car?

i was dead set on making her a complete replica of stevels1's 68.

But my brother has shown me so many colour/wheel combo's it's making my decision so hard......

All the hard work has been done already. (New motor/gearbox/brakes/RHD conversion) I just gotta decide on what she's to look like

Quote Originally Posted by *i2ayman*
      i was dead set on making her a complete replica of stevels1's 68...
      you definitely could not go wrong there...something about that car...

Quote Originally Posted by *i2ayman*
      i was dead set on making her a complete replica of stevels1's 68.

But my brother has shown me so many colour/wheel combo's it's making my decision so hard......
      Wow.. that is quite a compliment.. thanks!

There are a ton of nice combos out there, just pick the one you like the best and that you will like for a long time. I certainly don't mind if you pic one of mine.

And that would appropriate since I bought sight unseen from about the farthest point away that I could (2400 miles)..

Can't wait to see the pics and the progress!!

Feel free to email me questions anytime.

Steve
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Car stories are always the best! A man and his car....it doesn't get any better than that! I love you guys!

Okay, I'm okay.
      BTW-

very cool story..cant wait to see pics of a 68 with right hand drive..thatll freak people in the states out..good luck cant wait to follow its build..
      Darrin Stalnecker
      1969 Camaro Convert full pt pr
      2007 Corvette Supercharged
      1968 Camaro LS1 T56
      http://www.fquick.com/dropit69

great story.
      cannot wait to see pics
      and CONGRATS!!!
      pain is nothing compared to the emptiness that comes from quitting.
      owner of "Primal"
      1970 Camaro RS
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092707
      Camaro Z28

Country Flag: Norway
      Great story. I can relate, I got mine after 5 months of waiting, as it had to go trough the Panama Canal to get to the Atlantic. Those last weeks are like childhood xmas'es, just waaaaaaaaaaiting to get to the good stuff.

Great story
      -David

got digi camera today, so i got some pics to share:

RHD Anyone?

Hopefully will be able to share some progress pics soon enough

That is sweet, the whole right hand drive tripped me out. I actually walked outside and looked at my 68 and tried to picture it on the other side. Great story too. Good luck.

That is awesome can't wait to see pics of progress. I am in awe ....

Cooooool....

Just out of curiosity is it a requirement to convert to right hand drive down under?
      Here in the states you can drive either a rt. or lt. hand drive car, at least here in Florida. I'm not possitive about other states. I'm not even sure if it's up the the state or federal lawmakers either?
      How common or classic American cars in Australia? They're not real common even here in USA.
      Great car, happy ending, and congradulations! IAs I read your story I was waiting for the axe to fall at each new sentence......and it never did! It's refreshing to hear a car buying story without some backstabbing thief involved!
      Kevin.
      69 Firebird "Eternity"

68 camaro gone "down under"

good story - kept waiting for a "BAD" ending when you opened container door though. guess you mostly hear the bad stories
      good luck with the ride.
      you think Aussies with this addiction would move to the states- it'd be easier than the shipping hassle, parts avail, ect ? plus we have Power Tour too

Yeah, believe me, i was glad there was no bad ending... I was kinda expecting to swing the container doors open to find i just paid to send an empty container right across australia, and some random guy had a lot of my coin, with no way to ever find him.... I was very stupid with this transaction, and even now looking back on it, i can't believe it all went smoothly.

American muscle cars are everywhere here, but it's mainly mustangs, camaros and 55-57 chevs. Australia is a big place, probably bigger than most of you guys realise, and seen as though australians have always had an obsession with local muscle cars it seems natural to have the same with american muscle. You gotta remember that most of our 60's/70's muscle cars shared the same drivelines in many cases: ie: cleveland and windsors in the fords here, and chev motors in our holdens.

Laws here have only recently changed to permit us to drive a lhd car on a regular basis, most of them were converted in earlier years.

Don't worry, i've planned on moving to the states because of this obsession for years, but trying to get a greencard to live in the states is a mission in itself. Any of you guys got a hot sister you wanna marry off

Anyways, i'll keep you updated on progress as it goes. It may not be as elaborate as some of your builds, but it's great to see the interest in it from abroad.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com