Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

The new Farrington Garage/Shop build

Alright, this has been a long time coming! Let me try to give a quick run down of the history that leads up to this thread. Basically, my wife and I decided to get back into the car hobby in 2002 after a 15 year absence (since high school). So, while I was in Northern California doing a National Guard communication school we decided to buy our current 66 Chevelle. Well, one thing led to another and we wanted a spot to store it and some parts cars so we bought a rental house with a two car detached garage on a one acre lot less than a mile from the subdivision where we lived. In 2003ish we built (myself, Deb and the kiddos) a new 28x44' two story shop on the back of the lot and have been working out of there ever since. The only real problem with that arrangement came when we bought a house and property 30 minutes away and moved into that in 2006. A lot has happened with the rental property over the years, but all that is important is that we finally sold it on contract back in April and that is allowing us to build our shop here at our house. Whew! lots of history in a reasonably short paragraph.

OK, so this will be the build thread of building the shop. Deb and I have some building experience and will be doing most of the work ourselves with the exception of the foundation and maybe a few other things that will just save time and headaches in the long run. Obviously family and friends will be helping too as we move forward.

We would love to hear your questions and comments on what you would do to make it a better shop, but remember, we are regular people with regular jobs (a couple each) and at the end of the day, we want this thing to be under roof and usable inside of our budget. Just like everything else we do, we will make improvements as we go.

We're doing a build thread on pro-touring.com, chevelles.com and lateral-g.net since we have good friends on all of them.

Here are the basics:
      40x76'
      stick framed 2x6" walls 12' ceilings in the main work area
      40x26 area that will be sectioned off for machine and wood shop, storage and a paint area
      40x26 upstairs that will be used for storage and possible future living area
      two lifts, one two post and one four post
      one 16x9' overhead door and one 36" service door
      electric and wood heat (A/C is part of my dream plan)

The hand drawn plans

Just breaking ground

Sam walking the dug footer

I'm envious! Sounds like it will be an awesome shop when you're done. Be sure to pull in adequate power... at least a 200A service.

One comment on A/C (I've air conditioned my shop -- necessary here in Florida). Have a look at mini-splits systems. They are cheaper than a conventional forced air setup, plus you can do all the installation yourself.

Here's what I'm using:

http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/en/...oduct-showcase
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Looks good Tom. I would suggest rethinking the door option. A single door to access three lifts is tight. Even with the lifts at an angle, it kills all the usable space behind them, and it really doesn't look as if you have the depth to make the turn anyway. I'd suggest three doors, at least two, to access the lifts. This gives you a "free" flat stall behind each lift. Might want to consider 12' doors (minimum 10') width. 8' sounds big until you try to "cut" in. I just finished my new shop and can post some pics if you'd like.
      Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I'm envious! Sounds like it will be an awesome shop when you're done. Be sure to pull in adequate power... at least a 200A service.

One comment on A/C (I've air conditioned my shop -- necessary here in Florida). Have a look at mini-splits systems. They are cheaper than a conventional forced air setup, plus you can do all the installation yourself.

Here's what I'm using:

John's right on the 200A minimum service, but A/C is still a luxury in Florida shops!! I'd love to have it. John how big is your shop and what's your ceiling height? What size units are you using? I use two Mitsu mini splits in the office and apartment and love them!

Craig Scholl
      CJD Automotive, LLC
      Jacksonville, Florida
      904-400-1802
      www.cjdautomotive.com

"I own a Mopar, I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't fit without modification."

I hate to sound jealous, but YOU SUCK!
      Ron Schwarz

Country Flag: Netherlands
      I'm with Ron on this.....
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

Yeah what those guys said^^^ LOL

As a Journeyman Electrician I have to ask these guys recommending a MINIMUM 200A service....what in the world are you guys using that would require more than a 200A service in a home shop? There's only going to be a few things in use at once.

Ill be keeping an eye in here for ideas....good luck with the build
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Where do you guys find the time Tom?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Have you checked out the Garage Journal board? Great place to get ideas and drool.
      '67 GTO - LS3, 4L60E, SC&C AFX Package, KORE3 C6 Z06, Boyds PT-09s

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...7-GTO-LS3-Swap

Quote Originally Posted by CFster View Post
      Have you checked out the Garage Journal board? Great place to get ideas and drool.

I second that... Amazing stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
      I have to ask these guys recommending a MINIMUM 200A service....what in the world are you guys using that would require more than a 200A service in a home shop?
      In general, you get service boxes in 100A increments, right? So I'm saying not to get 100A, but step up to 200A.

What kind of things might be going on simultaneously in your shop? Let's go through a list and see where we end up:

1. Refrigerator -- 15A
      2. Freezer -- 15A
      3. Lights -- 30A
      4. Garage door opener -- 15A
      5. TIG welder on aluminum -- 70A
      6. Torch chiller -- 10A
      7. Compressor -- 30A
      8. Lift -- 25A
      9. A/C -- 20A
      10. Heater -- 40A
      11. Mill -- 40A
      12. Lathe -- 40A
      13. Various 110V power tools -- 15A.

If you're welding aluminum, with the A/C running, the fridge and freezer running, the compressor kicks on, with lots of lights and torch chiller going, and somebody opens the garage door, while somebody else is running the mill or cutting some metal... you're well over 100A, and coming up on 200A. Plus a 200A service will have enough space for all circuits you'll need for multiple welding outlets, 20A 110V circuits and tons of lights.

Typically, you get one chance to pull the electrical service in. Just sayin': don't skimp there.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

I'll second the door upgrade suggestion. I'd go a minimum of 12' tall, and I'd put it in the middle of the wall not the one side. Just think if you or someone else might ever want to put an RV or big boat inside the shop.

How tall are your side walls? I made mine 10' tall and was able to get a 12' tall door in the center of my front elevation because of the way I designed my trusses.

I also highly suggest blow in foam insulation. It costs about twice as much as normal fiberglass bat insulation but it's worth every penny over the years.

Have fun with the build, it took me almost 10 years to get mine close to done, to where I could work in it more than on it. Worth every minute of labor though.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Cool Tom! I'm going to pile on with more doors are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron S View Post
      I hate to sound jealous, but YOU SUCK!
      Come on Ron, all you have to do is build more house and you can have more garage...

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post

Here's what I'm using:

Thanks John! We'll definitely have a 200A service and had actually looked into getting 3 phase back to the shop, but since we're 1800' off of the main road the price was astronomical. Good advice on the A/C option, I plan to look into it especially for the machine area.

Quote Originally Posted by sccacuda View Post
      Looks good Tom. I would suggest rethinking the door option. A single door to access three lifts is tight. Even with the lifts at an angle, it kills all the usable space behind them, and it really doesn't look as if you have the depth to make the turn anyway. I'd suggest three doors, at least two, to access the lifts. This gives you a "free" flat stall behind each lift. Might want to consider 12' doors (minimum 10') width. 8' sounds big until you try to "cut" in. I just finished my new shop and can post some pics if you'd like.
      Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      I'll second the door upgrade suggestion. I'd go a minimum of 12' tall, and I'd put it in the middle of the wall not the one side. Just think if you or someone else might ever want to put an RV or big boat inside the shop.

How tall are your side walls? I made mine 10' tall and was able to get a 12' tall door in the center of my front elevation because of the way I designed my trusses.

I also highly suggest blow in foam insulation. It costs about twice as much as normal fiberglass bat insulation but it's worth every penny over the years.

Have fun with the build, it took me almost 10 years to get mine close to done, to where I could work in it more than on it. Worth every minute of labor though.
      Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      Cool Tom! I'm going to pile on with more doors are needed.
      I appreciate what you guys are saying about doors, but that part of the plan has already past. For one, the placement on the property doesn't allow for more doors based on the slope and property line. We had originally thought about a second door but with our current shop we value wall space and the multiple doors has always been more of an irritant rather than a convenience. As far a height, a standard door is 7', our current shop has 8' and we're planning on 9' for this one. We definitely don't see a RV or large boat in our future. We did however look into the height of a two car open trailer with cars still on it and the 9' was more than adequate. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      Where do you guys find the time Tom?
      I don't know what to tell you Chris. I think we're always on the brink of complete failure and nervous breakdowns. lol All kidding aside, Deb and Sam are flat out hard workers and we get Kaytlin's time when she's not at work or school too. I'm just a lucky guy I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by CFster View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by MichaelUser View Post
      I second that... Amazing stuff.
      Yep, I have surfed it multiple times and thought about a build thread there too, but since this is a pretty non-remarkable build I decided against it. I will spend some more time on there next time I'm at the firehouse. Although, sometimes great ideas lead to spending too much money. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      Thanks John! We'll definitely have a 200A service and had actually looked into getting 3 phase back to the shop, but since we're 1800' off of the main road the price was astronomical. Good advice on the A/C option, I plan to look into it especially for the machine area.
      With your army connections I bet you could watch and find a good surplus deal on a 3 phase generator. It would allow for more effective use than a converter and I would imagine a lot cheaper. When I was working in TV I went to Harris transmitter plant. They had different generators for each power standard around the world. I ask why... Cheaper and easier for anything that is ony occasionally used. I'm also a long way off the road and this made sence to me so if and when I ever need three phase this is my plan...

Here's what was going on when Deb, Sam and I were thrashing on the cars at the Ohio Musclecar Challenge.

Lots of pea gravel fill last week while I was out of town.

And this brings us up to date. I should be meeting with the flat work guy today and if all goes well, we will be pouring tomorrow. Having been in the building industry for a while, I won't be surprised if that gets bumped to the right a little.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com