Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Project Bike Truck Poor Touring

Post 1

This is my project. This Ranchero has a long history. It was bought brand new by my Grandfather in 1963 with a 170ci straight-6 and a C4 auto trans. It was “restored” after he passed away. My uncle owned and drove it for years. He was a professional cyclist, and would use it to haul his bikes. The plate says bike truck. I honor him by keeping it. Then one day out of the blue, he gave it to me. The only conditions were that I hot-rodded it and could never sell it, only pass it on to a family member.

I drove it for a couple years and, while working at a shop, agreed to bring it in and build it. I stripped it apart and it sat, and sat, and I moved so it had to get stored. Fast forward 7 years, I got married and bought a house. First thing that moved in was the Ranchero and I started working on it myself. The more I got into it the worse I found the original “restoration” was.

My wife, friends, and family all agreed that we should cut it up and go full crazy. So here we are.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here
      check out Opentracker Racing Products

So, what's the build plan?

I am currently not the smartest when it comes to computers, so my buddy Phil (check out his Mustang build here) is helping me out. I’ve built a 2x3 perimeter frame. Rear suspension is a torque arm with a watts link. Power comes from a Ford inline-4 2.3L Turbo out of an SVO Mustang backed by a T-5 manual trans. Here are a couple of shots of the start of the tear-down.

Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

This is the floor getting cut out. Last picture shows the Bondo they used to fill the areas in the floor and back of the cab. Hacks!

Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Here is some of the framework in 2x3 steel.
      Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Country Flag: United States
      All Rancheros and El Caminos rust like that. I went looking decades ago and didn't find any that didn't need lots of work. Enjoy your project

Nice project! Very cool that it's always been in the family!
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

This is some of the progress I made a while back on the rear end. I cut out all the rusted and not so cool metal. Added some more 2x3 tubing. Added some risers to let me work under the car and keep it level.

Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

I made some room and stands to mock up the wheels and tires at the planned ride height. Running XXR 557 17x9.5’s and 275/40/17 Falken Azenis out back. Front will be a 17x8 with a 235/40/17 Falken Azenis. I’m going to have to make some inner fenders and mini tub it a bit. I’m learning as I go. I needed to mock the wheels and tires up so I could get the rear end figured out. And if anyone’s eye catches it, I moved the rear wheel back a couple inches to keep it looking right in the wheel well.

Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

I got my 8.8 rear end narrowed buy a awesome guy at here in San Diego, Bob Meyer. He has crazy amounts of stories and knowledge. Strange axles, Wilwood brakes and an Eaton Truetrac round out the package.

Follow my Instagram
      And my build on here

Great vehicle choice--looks like good work so far! Cutting out everything underneath one of these things is usually the best place to start.

If that's Bob Meyer of Meyer race cars, he was one of the real good ones. He should be getting close to 80 years old?????

Quote Originally Posted by wfo guy View Post
      If that's Bob Meyer of Meyer race cars, he was one of the real good ones. He should be getting close to 80 years old?????
      Yes same guy! In a small world he is a guy I Ride mountain Bikes with, his dad.
      He is older for sure and getting slower but stilll aweosme.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      Great vehicle choice--looks like good work so far! Cutting out everything underneath one of these things is usually the best place to start.
      It’s insane to see everything going away and not coming back as fast.
      Thanks for the support

Awesome Project! I put an SVO 2.3 and T5 into my 62 four door Falcon. Something about the vibration of that engine and the stiffness of my structure didn't really play well together, and I'm not terribly happy with the result. I've stiffened the chassis a bit (though not quite like you are doing) but I think I'm finished with the Ford 2.3 game. It made gobs of power (350 HP/380Tq before we ran out of fuel pump) but as soon as I get my new garage built, I'm gonna part it out and stuff a 2JZ in there.

Quote Originally Posted by neongreen View Post
      Awesome Project! I put an SVO 2.3 and T5 into my 62 four door Falcon. Something about the vibration of that engine and the stiffness of my structure didn't really play well together, and I'm not terribly happy with the result. I've stiffened the chassis a bit (though not quite like you are doing) but I think I'm finished with the Ford 2.3 game. It made gobs of power (350 HP/380Tq before we ran out of fuel pump) but as soon as I get my new garage built, I'm gonna part it out and stuff a 2JZ in there.
      Do you have a blog you post on?

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      Do you have a blog you post on?
      Yep, I've documented the whole project here: http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/

The last few posts have not been Falcon related, I've not had much car time in the past year.

Yep, I've documented the whole project here: http://ironhydroxide.blogspot.com/

The last few posts have not been Falcon related, I've not had much car time in the past year.
      If I am correct you just moved across country? I have been following your build for ever, definitely helped motivate me to move forward with my build. Thanks for the inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by Project Bike Truck View Post
      If I am correct you just moved across country? I have been following your build for ever, definitely helped motivate me to move forward with my build. Thanks for the inspiration
      Yep, that's me! Moved from Long Beach, CA to Ann Arbor, MI. It's been a busy year. Moved, remodeled a house, and two weeks ago welcomed a baby boy into the family. With all that going on, the Falcon has not had much love. Hopefully by the end of the summer I can get back to her.

Yep, that's me! Moved from Long Beach, CA to Ann Arbor, MI. It's been a busy year. Moved, remodeled a house, and two weeks ago welcomed a baby boy into the family. With all that going on, the Falcon has not had much love. Hopefully by the end of the summer I can get back to her.
      Not to hijack, but what made you relocate to the rust belt? lol...you're about 45 min/hour away from me.
      Congrats on the new addition!

Jay

Cool project. Like the choice of powerplant (something a little different).
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com