Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      I think Trump would tell him to have a Coal powered engine, that would be a steam engine, but Trump wouldn't understand that,
      he would only know his Lump is bigger than your Lump. ;)

I personally would put in a Volvo T5 with a bigger turbo, it would be MUCH lighter than a LS, but V8 are better eye candy.
      That's an assumption I've never been able to confirm. The T5 bare Long block to my understanding is 337 lbs...add manifold, turbo, etc. and I think you are in the mid-400 range. LS3 by contrast with manifolds is right around 400 I think. The LS can be built lighter. I like the idea of the T5, but nothing wrong with the LS plan IMO.

Country Flag: United States
      I think this is an awesome build. The LS is a good choice for the packaging and supports the low hoodline that helps make this car look fantastic.

I was able to attend an address delivered by the chief engineer for the LS1. He explained that the Corvette team was given a challenge to build a compact engine that had high power density. They were given the constraint that it had to load from the bottom and therefore fit between the frame rails. A quad cam V8 was too wide. Weight and exterior dimensions were key. The team was very successful in meeting their design goals. That is why the LS motor is so good for swaps. It is light, compact and delivers power. If I had the cash laying around, I would swap an LS7 in place of my 377 small block in a heartbeat.

I do like unusual powertrains for their aesthetic value, but when they do not fit or add mass to a car that would be detrimental to performance, I say use what fits the whole package. Such unique engines are best in show cars because of the compromises in performance that come with them. Also, it is hard to argue with the aftermarket support for the LS motors versus the more rare options.

This is a spectacular build that will not be diminished by an LS motor.

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      I'm a Chevy fan, and LS lover. But also work for Volvo, so I can go either way. haha
      If memory serves, that twin turbo Volvo motor from several years ago was about 300 horsepower.
      If you're talking about the S60R, it was a single big turbo & dual intercoolers (for some odd reason). I had one, until my wife decided to sell her SUV & take my car. :(

Quote Originally Posted by grendel View Post
      Your project, build it the way you want. I love the LS power plant.
      Yup. Me too. Giddy up !

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post
      If you're talking about the S60R, it was a single big turbo & dual intercoolers (for some odd reason). I had one, until my wife decided to sell her SUV & take my car. :(
      It was the straight six, twin turbo B6284T (2.8Lt) and B6294T (2.9Lt) from 1998 to 2006.

This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!

Is this the point where I show another picture of my LS? I just finished putting on the new AFR 260cc Mongoose LS3 heads, trick flow push rods, Fast 102 Intake, ARP head bolts, Cometic gaskets, Yella Terra rockers and Improved Racing oil pan baffle. The bottom end is still stock (other than an Advanced Induction cam) but If I blow it up I will put in a stoker kit.

I would have loved to put in an LS7 but there is no space for an oil tank or room for the additional drive belt. It is a damn tight engine bay. Instead of the LS7 I put in an Accusump, baffle and oil cooler to help. I just hope that is enough to keep it lubricated on the track.

I checked on the suspension install yesterday. it is coming along nicely. They are about to weld in the front clip for the last time. It has been tacked in up to now. The next step will be to fabricate a crossmember for the torque arm to mount on. The crossmember will also function as the tranny mount as well. The last step is to mount the rear coilovers. I hope it is done by the end of the month. At that time I will take it home to mount the oil and tranny coolers, condenser, ac unit, find a place for the ECU and tranny controller. To do that I plan on changing the firewall on the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
      It was the straight six, twin turbo B6284T (2.8Lt) and B6294T (2.9Lt) from 1998 to 2006.
      Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying !

Hey Darreld !

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      This build thread has taken an interesting turn. I had no idea so many were actually following it. LOL!
      Maybe too many. LOL

Is this the point where I show another picture of my LS? I just finished putting on the new AFR 260cc Mongoose LS3 heads, trick flow push rods, Fast 102 Intake, ARP head bolts, Cometic gaskets, Yella Terra rockers and Improved Racing oil pan baffle. The bottom end is still stock (other than an Advanced Induction cam) but If I blow it up I will put in a stoker kit.

I would have loved to put in an LS7 but there is no space for an oil tank or room for the additional drive belt. It is a damn tight engine bay. Instead of the LS7 I put in an Accusump, baffle and oil cooler to help. I just hope that is enough to keep it lubricated on the track.
      Should be. The concern is tracks with loooooong, high speed (high G) corners. The Canton Accusump system & a good baffled road race pan (like the Canton) will provide adequate oil supply on "average" road courses, but certain tracks could cost you. Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen & most the Rovals really need a dry sump.

I checked on the suspension install yesterday. it is coming along nicely. They are about to weld in the front clip for the last time.
      Sweet ! Pictures please !

It has been tacked in up to now. The next step will be to fabricate a crossmember for the torque arm to mount on. The crossmember will also function as the tranny mount as well. The last step is to mount the rear coilovers. I hope it is done by the end of the month. At that time I will take it home to mount the oil and tranny coolers, condenser, ac unit, find a place for the ECU and tranny controller. To do that I plan on changing the firewall on the passenger side.
      Keep it rollin' !

Quote Originally Posted by 68EFIvert View Post
      It is a very interesting build that stands out in the crowd of F-bodies.

To sum it all up, then, for the past day or so: the LS is generally not recognized as the devil but sometimes mistaken for it, the 4.4 Yamaha engine is sub-par for swaps and aftermarket, the Volvo white block isn't really a weight savings and still falls short of power goals with a stock bottom end and without a really big snail, a grand piano will fit in a chevy nomad as will a coyote engine, politics generally don't fly very well on internet forums, and Ron Sutton is already bench racing this thing (I think I would have peed a little if he was excited about any project of mine...) so I'm stoked to see the updates from this thread and this amazing build continuing to move forward!

My 2 cents...a car of this caliber, a "body/shell", is a container to fit the best engine/suspension/tires/whatever else into and still make a nice-looking cohesive vehicle which the owner enjoys driving/racing and enthusiasts can respect. So many of you have these lovely containers and use them as often as possible. I get the arguments to keep it in the family, anything but another LS, etc...and it's even worth saying sometimes, if we can keep it classy. I'm very much a hardcore Volvo fan and I LOVE what's being done with this thing, even the things I might not pick myself.

/soapbox

I totally agree

The T5 is about 300ish pounds, the LS about 400ish, a significant difference.

Quote Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
      the Volvo white block isn't really a weight savings and still falls short of power goals with a stock bottom end and without a really big snail

I love this build and think an LS motor makes perfect sense. I don’t know enough about Volvo’s to say if there is a brand specific alternative or not. But this is an amazing build with custom everything and I am sure the owner is going to want to have enough RELIABLE power to take advantage of the modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by nimblemotorsports View Post
      The T5 is about 300ish pounds, the LS about 400ish, a significant difference.
      I agree with your LS number...I've never weighed a T5, but everything I've read on the internet (I know) says that the long block is around 340. Have you weighed it fully dressed?

Quote Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
      I agree with your LS number...I've never weighed a T5, but everything I've read on the internet (I know) says that the long block is around 340. Have you weighed it fully dressed?
      I hate to prolong the off topic discussion but, when comparing even fully dressed weights, we need to also factor in block girdles, intercooler and piping plus any meth system needed to support the power levels of a 6.0+ liter LS from a 2.3L i5, especially if it means a 50 lb overall difference, not to mention packaging of those items (fmic in the nose of this car big enough?) Not to mention no longitudinal i5 ever produced so adapter weights for transmission, even seemingly negligible on its own. Just thoughts which I'm sure were evaluated by the builder initially...sorry, OP... I'll try to stay on topic going forward.

Can't wait to see it home and the firewall work for the controllers!

Quote Originally Posted by sikbrik View Post
      I hate to prolong the off topic discussion but, when comparing even fully dressed weights, we need to also factor in block girdles, intercooler and piping plus any meth system needed to support the power levels of a 6.0+ liter LS from a 2.3L i5, especially if it means a 50 lb overall difference, not to mention packaging of those items (fmic in the nose of this car big enough?) Not to mention no longitudinal i5 ever produced so adapter weights for transmission, even seemingly negligible on its own. Just thoughts which I'm sure were evaluated by the builder initially...sorry, OP... I'll try to stay on topic going forward.

Can't wait to see it home and the firewall work for the controllers!
      Yes...back to the build. It's awesome. My vote-no bullet mirrors on the fenders. The Singer porsches use window mounted chrome bullets typically and it looks great. But a more recent build has something a bit more modern and body colored and it too looks great.

But if you're going to preserve some exterior chrome I would look for a modern with chrome accents, a la Audi

I still like the bullet mirrors with the body/base painted body color and the mirror chrome...

Like DSE did on Moe's Charger: http://www.detroitspeed.com/Projects...rger-pg-1.html
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

Thanks for the input on the mirrors as well as the link to the Detroit Speed and Singer mirrors. They do look nice.

I just received my final renderings on my car. I am really happy with the direction that this project has gone. It has been a 6 year journey that should come to an end in the next year.

The suspension modifications should be done in the next month or so. After that I will bring the car home to mount oil coolers and other items like that. Once that is done it will head back to the body shop for mud work and paint.

I can finally see the end in sight and it will look almost exactly like the renderings. I can’t wait!

That will be/is one sweet ride.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 12 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 32 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com