Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Speed Density or MAF/IAT?

I bought this 74 Nova with a Swap already done (kind of). The person I bought it from didn't know much as he bought it from someone who lost her husband and she didn't know either. So as I go along and learn both classic car basics I am also learning about LS swaps (I know it's an LM7). I can assume this person did quite a bit to the engine since it has a nice Holley Pan, Cam kit, etc... but I just don't know everything he did. First thing I need to figure out is the IAT sensor (Missing) and the MAF sensor (Missing). I am starting to wonder if it might have been deleted and converted to speed density. How would I check for that? Is Speed Density better than MAF/IAT sensors?

Attachment 27214
      Attachment 27215
      Attachment 27216

Chevrolet Nova Custom 2dr Coupe Information

• Year: 1974
      • Model: Custom 2dr Coupe
      • Engine: 5.3L Vortec LM7 with a Stage 3 Cam Kit (out of a 2002 Suburban)
      • Body/Exterior: Stock but solid
      • Front End: Stock for now
      • Transmission: 4L60
      • Rear End: 3.73:1
      • Exhaust: Dual custom
      • Wheels/Tires: 205/60R15 fronts 235/65R15 rears on American Racing AR61 Outlaw Rims for now (not pictured)
      • Interior: all stock cloth but I have plans to upgrade to custom leather
      • Electrical: all stock except the LS Harness

Well I found the plug finally. They had it tucked away (thank god they didn't cut it off) inside the fender.

Proper speed density tuning still requires the IAT sensor.

For a typical street build, I would always retain the MAF, although it takes twice the tuning effort to get everything correct as you still tune as speed density & then MAF only.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance View Post
      Proper speed density tuning still requires the IAT sensor.

For a typical street build, I would always retain the MAF, although it takes twice the tuning effort to get everything correct as you still tune as speed density & then MAF only.
      Thank you. I was able to locate the mysterious missing plug for the MAF/IAT sensor. I will be adding it soon so I can get it tuned.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com