Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project 90 day 1975 Trans Am restore bet with wife

All right, so My GTO is at paint, My 75 Trans Am, with the GTO interior is waiting on a harness to be finished up, and my Barracuda are done.. So I picked up a pretty clean 1975 Trans Am with no title here in the bay area.. I already went to the DMV got it registered.. DMV didnt kill me this time.

So I wanted to do is build a car in a 90 day window, I picked this time, because it seemed right So The plan is, and you can see I have staged some of the parts already, (kinda cheating alittle) to build the car from start to finish in 90 days.The car is solid, it has 2 very small rust areas I can patch but all in all its pretty clean. Its a 1975 Serling silver, 400 block(which is long gone) with a T400. The interior is solid as well, needs some door panels and headliners stuff but the usual subjects. So I have bought most all the parts, and they are either hear or will be here with in the next week or so..He is the plan..

I will stripp car down, powder coat subbrame, strip bottom, and rear primer/sealer and undercoat. Rear will be rebuilt, and housing painted, I have a new good mark tank, Im putting a full Hotchkis TVS system, global west tubular upper and lower control arms and Konis on all for corners. I will strip fire wall and have a DSE smoothed firewall panel, and a DSE brake booster that will go on..I bought a BRP LSX conversion kit and will drop that on as well..I bought a 2005 LQ9, and it is at the shop, being bored .30 over with new bearing and all the typical maching work, they than will install all the new parts from Scoggin-dickey. I got a custom Cam, LS7 lifter, New LS3 CnC'd heads with springs, a LS7 CLutch set up, and on this car, Im going to run a Vic Jr carb set up with a 850 carb. Car should be around 600HP, Im doing a nice billet pulley set up and havent figured out if I want to do A/C yet. I have a rebuilt T56 going in as well..When I get all the parts back from powder coating, I will make it a roller, and drop off to have it stripped and repainted the factory silver..I have a 4p and 6p wilwood set up with parking brake already, and a set of NewGens 19/20 for the rolling on..The interior is going to be all stock, just refinished to new, but I will be doing all autometer gauges. I am also putting 1976 bumpers front and rear, because they are smoothed..Since I have all the parts, the machine work is going to be done in 2 weeks, and powder coating will take a week.. Im pretty sure, It will go to paint in a month.. as a roller, no motor. I have bet my wife a trip to the Keys, from start to finish 90 days...She is going to take pics along the way.. the only help is my dad.. as he is retired can knock alot out while Im at work. This is my 5th car doing this too..and most take years.. Im hoping I have enough experience to make it in 90 days, but if not.. I love the Keys

Here are the pics I took Monday, and we will start and I will be on the clock Saturday

Sounds like you win either way....cool car... happy wife.

if you need extra help (here and there) let me know Im here in the bay area also

Cool, document the heck out of the build. I am about to start digging into my 74 Firebird. I have a Scott Mock subframe on order, ridetech 4 link for out back and coilovers coming with the subframe from Scott. Mine is getting an L92 and 4L80E. I won't be anywhere close to 90 days though.
      Stephen

Country Flag: UK
      Build the car in 90 days and take a vacation to the keys to relax. You will have a cool car AND a happy wife.

I might take you up on that

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
      if you need extra help (here and there) let me know Im here in the bay area also

I had a '74 T/A 455. I didn't like those bumpers at the time, but now I don't mind 'em.

The exterior color choice can obviously minimize how much they stand out.

I like the '75 look better than the '74 for the bigger rear window and the fog lamps in the grill.

Like you said though, the '76 bumpers are smooth, and I like the 1 and done factor those cars have over the later 2nd gens.
      Skip

I agree... My other 1975 I have here on pro-touring Im doing a 1977 front and rear.. Just a cleaner look

Quote Originally Posted by compos mentis View Post
      I had a '74 T/A 455. I didn't like those bumpers at the time, but now I don't mind 'em.

The exterior color choice can obviously minimize how much they stand out.

I like the '75 look better than the '74 for the bigger rear window and the fog lamps in the grill.

Like you said though, the '76 bumpers are smooth, and I like the 1 and done factor those cars have over the later 2nd gens.

Wow, my 74TA has been in paint jail for 90 days now!

good luck on this project and timeline

Man, the paint is the only thing that might trip me up

Quote Originally Posted by sixgunsblazing View Post
      Wow, my 74TA has been in paint jail for 90 days now!

good luck on this project and timeline

Country Flag: Australia
      Big ol' Vinyl decal solves your hood problem!

:-D

Country Flag: Australia
      EDIT: Double post. :-(

just vinyl wrap the entire car, no more paint jail.
      John McLoughlin
      1970 Pontiac Lemans
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lemans-Update

Man, Im just not sure that a place I want to go... Im kinda old fashion

Quote Originally Posted by john31s View Post
      just vinyl wrap the entire car, no more paint jail.

Rustoleum or Plastidip it.

or leave the patina look.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I was VERY seriously considering the patina look.. I kinda like it..
      Quote Originally Posted by Z06killinSBF View Post
      Rustoleum or Plastidip it.

or leave the patina look.

I dig it, it has a good one going for it. Don't overdo the wheel choice (18" rally) and it would look killer.
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

I must be the only one out there that likes the 74-76 front end. I am keeping mine, although I may go with a 79-81 rear bumper and taillights with LED's because I like the smooth look of that rear bumper. There are enough 77-78's out there.
      Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by qnitro View Post
      Im putting a full Hotchkis TVS system, global west tubular upper and lower control arms and Konis on all for corners.
      digging the parts choices, the only thing I would change are the shocks, think about running an adjustable shock from QA1 or ridetech (single adjust would be fine) it really allows you to adjust from track to daily driving

If that car already had a decent paint job I'd say no problem. But you've got some work cut out for you. I'm pullin' for ya!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com