Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

wish I knew someone to fix a steering column

Need my steering column fixed. ignition rod does not move when I turn the key
      Going to be atleast $200 not including the $150 tow

Country Flag: United States
      See if this helps any, it's for a camaro....but a T/A should be similar

...it is for a non-tilt column.

and this one is for the tilt column:

1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

I have this problem with mine there's a shaft running down the col that connects to the wiring block at the bottom take the plastic cover off and give it shove up and down while trying to turn the key this normally fixes it.It just needs realining with the block.The rod is number 51 on the 76-81 standard col going into num 24,or rod num 22 on the tilt

For $350 you can just about buy a new one and forget about fixing it.

May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nilsen View Post
      For $350 you can just about buy a new one and forget about fixing it.
      for $0 and some time, you can pull it apart and figure out what's actually wrong with it- it's really not all that complicated.. a steering wheel puller and lockplate tool makes it much easier, so add $10 to my first estimate to get those tools.

Quote Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
      for $0 and some time, you can pull it apart and figure out what's actually wrong with it- it's really not all that complicated.. a steering wheel puller and lockplate tool makes it much easier, so add $10 to my first estimate to get those tools.
      I actually bought a whole other column at a swap meet for $30 and was able to use the best parts from both to make one good one. I was also able to learn how to pull it all apart and not have to worry about ruining something. They aren't that complicated but some of the parts can be a pain to keep from falling all over until you figure it out. Whoops there goes those bearings,lol.

If he needs parts I still have some in a box just in case.
      Last edited by Jim Nilsen; 03-11-2010 at 07:12 AM.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

Part number 40 on the tilt column is made of pot metal and often breaks. Most dealers have lots of practice replacing them. The only hard part is pulling the pivot pins but I made a puller of my own.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

I have a column shift with non tilt or fixed column. When I drive it the column shifter is really loose and falls downward causing the car to down shift. What parts could be warn out and are they easy to fix. The expanded view of a column shows many parts.

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi View Post
      Part number 40 on the tilt column is made of pot metal and often breaks. Most dealers have lots of practice replacing them. The only hard part is pulling the pivot pins but I made a puller of my own.
      Do you have any pics of the tool you made?

you can buy the pivot pin tool at o'reilly for about 5 bucks

Thanks. Does it sound like column parts to you? A friend said it could be the tranny linkage?

if the trans is downshifting without you moving the shifter, it could be a number of things, first thing that comes to mind is the shifter arm bracket could be worn down or broken off, number 52 on the tilt and number 26 on non tilt, other than that I need to get into the column and see whats wrong, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TravMitch View Post
      I have a column shift with non tilt or fixed column. When I drive it the column shifter is really loose and falls downward causing the car to down shift. What parts could be warn out and are they easy to fix. The expanded view of a column shows many parts.
      It sounds like the detent plate at the base of the column is the issue. Is the shift lever still spring loaded, i.e. can you pull it rearward, and it pulls itself back to the front of the car? If so, it should pull itself forward into the detent plate, which is what makes you pull the arm back to remove from park, the back to go from D to 2, and back again for 2-1, it should never be able to just "fall" down the gears. (I'd refer to the drawings above, but those are for floor shift columns which won't have the detents)
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I looked at my shift indicator and it only has (Park R N D L) Not Park R N D 2 1
      Would this mean my car was a 2 speed power glide and the detents for a T350 would be different? My friend gave my the T350 out of his 73 Nova because he is going with a 4 speed manual. Now he has given me his column from the 73 Nova also. I have tore both apart and they have different detents on the column part with the key and the long neck park behind it. I plan on putting his detents in my car and hope it fixes my problem.Name:  014.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  140.3 KBName:  015.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  175.1 KBName:  019 (2).jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  145.9 KB

Should work.
      Long ago I swapped out a Powerglide for a TH350. Our 68 Camaro had a floor shift with cable. It worked fine with the PG detents, I just could not select 1st gear manually which didn't bother me. All the rest worked fine with a little adjusting of the stud on the trans shifter arm.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

if you need and parts for a non tilt I have plenty, the non tilts are a little more of a pain to build than tilts, looks like the one on the left is for a glide and th350 on the right

I've rebuilt a column before, not easy but not hard. Just make sure you have a big clean table and lay everything out sequentially as it comes off the column. All the parts are pretty easily available..

Quote Originally Posted by boss_hoss View Post
      I've rebuilt a column before, not easy but not hard. Just make sure you have a big clean table and lay everything out sequentially as it comes off the column. All the parts are pretty easily available..
      The last post before yours is from 2014.
      Why do termites eat houses?

Because they have
      Munchausen Syndrome.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com