Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Record Runs at A.M.P. So Cal Challenge.

The track record is now down to 43.2--. Set by Kowalski's little green 'Monster Miata'. During competition for the So Cal Challenge, a 200 TW tire rule is in effect. But, there is some interest in making record runs. A.M.P. track records have NO tire rule, so slicks are OK. How fast is 43.2--? well, I have ran 44.648 in the HellBoy on BGF KDW's at 300 TW. I know that Karl, Casey, Brian, Mike, Sal, Bret, and others have closed in on the 44-45 second range on street tires. On saturday, march 2nd, during the first So Cal Challenge of 2013, the track officials will allow record rund from 12:00pm to 1:00pm. (during the lunch break) Competitors who wish to attempt the record will be allowed to exit the lower track at 11:30 am, givin 30 minutes to change tires and prep. At 11:50, all other drivers will move their cars to the upper level for lunch, clearing the stack lanes for the cars and crews making record runs. During record runs, run groups will have a max of three cars. Get ready boys, I feel a new record coming. If your not there to see it, watch it live on Bangshift.com.

We got some Hoosier's on order! Karl wants to see what it feels like to drive "Blu Balz" on slicks...

This will be epic. The best talent and equipment in the Pro-Touring community looking to answer one question: Are YOU faster than a Miata?

Quote Originally Posted by CA B4C View Post
      Are YOU faster than a Miata?
      Supercharged Miata.... on slicks!

To anyone thinking about running some slicks, the tires I run are on sale right now, and in PT sizes even: https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm (all the way at the bottom)
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

I will be there with the Corvette and run Goodyear slicks. We can't let a Miata hold the record.

Brian
      Brian Hobaugh
      65 Corvette
      73 Camaro

The gauntlet has been thrown. This will make for an exciting lunch break!
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Willy Mary be attending this event? She's been the quickest at AMP in my recollection . . . just needs A6's.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

What speeds are the fast guys hitting on the straight?
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

I'm in on this one. My car wont be ready till May so I'm hoping to make it down there some time this season.

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
      What speeds are the fast guys hitting on the straight?
      Well it depends on placement of the tires at the end of the backstretch that act to slow you down. With them tight together, I might have hit 80-85MPH, with them further apart or not there at all, 100?

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

Quote Originally Posted by Gitter Dun View Post
      I'm in on this one. My car wont be ready till May so I'm hoping to make it down there some time this season.
      Yeah buddy! Me too... let's carpool down for one of the summer/fall events.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomswheels View Post
      Well it depends on placement of the tires at the end of the backstretch that act to slow you down. With them tight together, I might have hit 80-85MPH, with them further apart or not there at all, 100?
      Cool. Thanks Tom.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Quote Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
      Yeah buddy! Me too... let's carpool down for one of the summer/fall events.
      Exactly what I was thinking.

Just need to be sure the track will be set up exactly the way the Miata ran it.

Anybody have any details or info on this. When shooting for record runs is the tire chicane set up the same way every time?

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Quote Originally Posted by 79-TA View Post
      Willy Mary be attending this event? She's been the quickest at AMP in my recollection . . . just needs A6's.
      Nope ... no car. IIRC, my best time was 44.04 and was on 200TW tires. With racing rubber, I'm betting those running with them will see a couple of seconds drop off of that.

Mary P.
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Quote Originally Posted by mpozzi View Post
      Nope ... no car. IIRC, my best time was 44.04 and was on 200TW tires. With racing rubber, I'm betting those running with them will see a couple of seconds drop off of that.

Mary P.

That third gen is beast, you should campaign that! I have it on good authority there some dude named "K-dawg" that is gonna be there campaigning a 3rd gen, so you wouldn't even be the only one!
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Quote Originally Posted by SLO_Z28 View Post
      That third gen is beast, you should campaign that! I have it on good authority there some dude named "K-dawg" that is gonna be there campaigning a 3rd gen, so you wouldn't even be the only one!
      I haven't a clue what you're talking about, James ...

Mary P.
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

The tire chicane is setup in the same location each time, at least there was paint to mark the location, about halfway between the start/finish and turn one. During the SoCal Challenge cones are used instead of tires. I was at the top end of second gear before climbing on the brakes, some guys were grabbing third for a short blast. I would estimate 70 mph for most cars and 75 to 80 mph for a very well setup car. The corners are where all the time is going to be made or lost. There are a couple of good sweepers where speed was limited due to the harder (200 TW) tires. There are some good P/T fully capable of the new record. Good luck to all !!

Can't remember 100% but I think the first SoCal Challenge used those tires at the end of the straight. Don't remember seeing pylons there then and pretty sure we'd have "nudged" those a bit to free up that straight if we had. Wasn't at the second one so could of had them there.

The first time I ran at night there, they had tires ... big ones, too.

I was pretty deep into third and downshifted right after the tires and before the bowl. Everything else was second gear. Was pretty busy at that point so apologize for no mph ...

Mary P.
      Last edited by mpozzi; 02-18-2013 at 09:41 PM.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

I know the Miata. Stan's Green Mean Machine.. It runs in SCCA SSM class in SD it's winged with splitter and super chargeds,, When it runs it sounds more like a turbo.

Tires I think are 285size DOT competition Hoosiers.A6. You can see pics of it at lateapexphoto.com don't confuss it with the green Sprite.The Sprite is super fast.

Hello Mary.. Will you be at Good Guys Del Mar?

You are correct Mary, tires at the first event. At the second event they were using cones and adding time if a cone was hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mpozzi View Post
      I haven't a clue what you're talking about, James ...

Mary P.
      The ESP car you ran at AAS last summer. The K-Dawg thing is in response to Brett trolling me about Casey.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com