Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Speedtech's new 3rd Gen Camaro suspension

Hey everyone, more great news! This 91 Camaro RS followed us home a couple months ago...

These cars have a great out of the box performance handling platform, but since we like to play so much, can't leave well enough alone and want to make everything better, we've decided that adding 3rd gen Camaro suspension to our line up was in order. We're anxious to see more of them competing in CAM and the big Pro Touring events, and we've got 3 steps on the R&D board to get things rolling.

Step one is to develop a bolt in performance suspension system including lower front control arms, a better and adjustable front strut, Articulink rear trailing arms, rear coilover conversion, and upgrade it to our better Torque Arm. We're not reinventing the wheel here, just making it much better. Some of these parts are currently already in pre production.

Step 2 is to develop an LS/T56 swap kit. Our RS sports a V6 with a blown head gasket, so naturally it will likely get a 525+ hp LS3 crate engine backed by a T56 Magnum to take it's place.

Step 3 is the real good stuff! For those that want to play with the big boys we'll be developing a new ExtReme front suspension clip that will eliminate the struts and use the same all new suspension found on our new ExtReme 1st and 2nd gen Camaro subframes! This is the most forward thinking and advanced geometry and capabilities available, better than any other Pro Touring suspension currently on the market. Part of the parameters for all ExtReme suspensions is to have a super low ride height, more available suspension travel, fit 315s under the fenders while maintaining 30+ degrees of steering angle, and have geometry that maximizes tire contact on all wheels while cornering.

I found this pic of a nice slammed IROC on the internet. Imagine this stance with 315s tucked underneath all around and a suspension that sticks like a full bore race car. Now this is gonna be cool!

We're pretty excited about this one, tell us what you think!

-Ben, Creative Director at Speedtech Performance
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      435-628-4300 www.speedtechperformance.com
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Waiting to see what you come up with for the front suspension. I expect the welded frame rails will make it interesting to replace the front suspension without major surgery.
      Tom Pichette

Pit crew for Valerie Pichette and her 1988 Pontiac TransAm GTA "DragonLady"

Definitely curious about the clip, sounds cool as long as it's not too spendy. My 82 Z28 is my "budget" track car, can't afford to go nuts on all of them, haha.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Good idea - these can be bought cheap and can still be a blast.
      1960 Biscayne
      Steve

Country Flag: Canada
      Nothing shows up on your website when I search "Articulink". What are these control arms?

Hey Guys & Gals,

Just chiming in to let everyone know this new 3rd gen F-Body clip has the same optimum geometry & set-up I designed for all of the Speedtech front clips & full chassis. Although each front suspension was optimized for the application, this one is very similar to the 1st & 2nd gen clips.

Video for RSRT Designed Speedtech eXtreme Subframes & Chassis

To watch this In-Depth Video on YouTube ... Click HERE.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Speedtech eXtreme Front Subframe & Suspension Package
      New Cutting Edge Design Includes:
      • Ron Sutton Race Technology geometry built-in.
      • Strong Box type laser cut and jig welded construction - reduced weight over factory subframe.
      • Special subframe width & shape allowing 315 front tires.
      • Next-Gen ATS 7075 Forged Aluminum Spindles.
      • High-Ackerman steering arms for ATS spindles.
      • C7 heavy duty bearings & hubs.
      • Speedtech high clearance upper & lower tubular control arms
      • Upper control arms feature additional caster adjustability.
      • Control arms powder coated gloss black and fully assembled with Delrin bushings.
      • 3-piece Speedway Engineering sway bar – Choice of rates from 400# to 1300#
      • Sweet racing DUAL POWER rack & pinion steering.
      • Accepts LSX engines with Speedtech fabricated oil pan and motor mounts.
      • Adjustable engine frame stands allows 3/4" fore & aft range.
      • Fully adjustable rear cross member fits all GM transmissions as well as T-56 and TKO.
      • Factory alignment holes offer ease of aligning frame to body and bumpers.
      • Mounting hardware, instructions, and custom alignment specs.
      • Comes bare. Powder coat options available.
      • Built-in tow/tie down hooks eliminate strapping around painted frames.
      • ridetech single adjustable coil-over shocks, including delrin thrust washers & adjusting wrench.
      • Hypercoil coil-over springs – Wide choice of rates.

Available as Bolt-In Clips for:
      67-69 GM F-Bodies Camaros & Firebirds
      70-81 GM F-Bodies Camaros & Firebirds/Trans Ams
      68-74 GM X-Bodies Novas, Venturas, Skylark & other GM X-Body Cars
      and now ... 82-92 3rd gen F-Bodies: Camaros & Firebirds

OPTIONS:
      • Powder Coat Subframe – Flat Black
      • Powder Coat Subframe – Semi-Gloss Black
      • Powder Coat Subframe – Gloss Black
      • Powder Coat Subframe – Gun Metal Grey
      • Powder Coat Subframe – Silver
      • Billet Aluminum Body Mount Set
      • Engine Bay Round Tube Chassis Down Bar Supports
      • Double Joint Steering Shaft Kit
      • LSx Engine Adapter Plates
      • Speedtech 1 7/8" LSx Headers, Mill Finish
      • Speedtech LSx 1 7/8" Headers, Show Polished Finish
      • Ron Sutton Tailored Suspension Tech Service #40STP
      • Ron Sutton Tailored Brake Tech Service #29
      • Ron Sutton Secret Sauce Digressive Track-Star Valving added to ridetech Single Adj Shocks
      • Ridetech Triple Adj Shocks w/Digressive Track-Star Valving
      • JRI Shocks w/Digressive Track-Star Valving in Single, double or triple adjustable

For more information ... OR To Place Your Order ... Contact Ron Sutton Race Technology:
      Phone: (916) 834-8051
      Email: [email protected]
      Address: 11374 Amalgam Way, Suite K, Gold River, CA 95670

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 06-11-2016 at 09:40 AM.

Country Flag: Canada
      Cant wait to see what you have put together here Ron (and Blake, Jay, et al)
      James
      1967 Camaro RS - The OLC
      1984 Camaro GT1
      1989 Camaro 1LE - The BOC

So, if you are removing the struts, I'm guessing you will be removing some of the sheet metal too? Kind of like they do on early Mustangs. If so, I expect it will create mor e room under the hood as well. I am planning a turbo build and can use any available room.

Quote Originally Posted by James OLC View Post
      Cant wait to see what you have put together here Ron (and Blake, Jay, et al)

Hey James,

The geometry on this clip is in line with my TA2 race clip, except the Speedtech clip puts the roll center in the optimum spot regardless of how much you travel the front end. This is the first time I've achieved this ... so this clip would work awesome for any setup a person chooses. So if someone runs a stiff spring set-up & only travels the front end around an inch ... the roll center is at 2" above ground, which is optimum for that setup. If they high travel the front end ... say 3" ... with soft springs & a larger sway bar ... the roll center is at ground level ... again, optimum for that setup. in moderate travel ... around 2" ... the RC is at 1" - perfect.

The dual power Sweet rack will handle the load from the high grip suspension & 315 front tires (TW200 or slicks) with ease. No rebuilt $300 OEM racks here. This puppy cost almost $1000, but it is built to take the loads we're creating these days.

I forget if you have my AutoX-Star or Track-Star valved ridetech shocks on the OLC Camaro. But these clips are available with my Track-Star "secret sauce" digressive valved shocks in single or triple adjustable.

* Quick side note: On Friday May 27th, I went shock testing with a championship GT team that races in the Western Endurance GT car series at Buttonwillow (because it's a bumpy track - perfect for shock testing). They ran a best of 1:49.9 with their Bilstein race shocks. Then ran a best of 1:46.8 ... 3.1 seconds quicker ... my Track-Star valved ridetech triples. The driver couldn't believe the grip increase. These are the same shocks I make available to the Pro-Touring world, and are optional on this Speedtech clip.

All the geometry on this Speedtech ExtReme front clip is spot on:
      * Roll Center location & dynamic migration - Optimum grip
      * Bump steer changes only .001" in 3" travel
      * Anti-dive is 40% - allowing us to run softer springs & still achieve a low roll angle
      * Ackerman is 100% - Creating optimum slip angle on inside front tire
      * Dynamic Camber/Caster creates optimum contact patches on BOTH front tires
      * Jacking effect is Nil - allowing softer springs & still achieve a low roll angle
      * Front Sway bar rate range is from 400# to over 3000#

This would be extremely racy for your new 3rd gen.

Last edited by Ron Sutton; 06-12-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
      So, if you are removing the struts, I'm guessing you will be removing some of the sheet metal too? Kind of like they do on early Mustangs. If so, I expect it will create mor e room under the hood as well. I am planning a turbo build and can use any available room.

Yes Mitch,

Just like in any racing series that lets us remove the struts & go to double wishbone suspension ... where all the fast teams do ... this Speedtech ExtReme clip will replace your front clip completely with this new front suspension & steering.

I'm eager to see what you guys come up with. There was a very long, detailed thread about setting up 3rd gen suspension on thirdgen.org, but something upset the guy and he deleted all the info. The drop spindles he recommended are no longer made anyway. I've got Eibach springs and Konis on my 89 GTA. It's much better than stock but it would be great to see more options out there. I know there are some limitations with the stock design, but some drop spindles would be nice. I'd like mine lower, but the lower control arms are already a little past parallel. I like the idea of a new clip with your ExtReme suspension. I'm not opposed to welding in a new clip to ditch the struts.
      Traven

Sounds great! Any ETA on when you will have photos of an installed clip and also when they will be available?

Really stoked to see what you guys come up with!!

Turbo Charged LS1/T56

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
      Good idea - these can be bought cheap and can still be a blast.
      Hey Ron- Thanks for chiming in!

This is one of the reasons we want to do this. The price of 1st gens seems anymore is beyond the average middle class man and younger crowd, the first half of 2nd gens in on that path and likely at some point later 2nd gens may be too. These cars are still in the not quite as popular list so they can still be had for a decent price.

Mitch- We've got a few other platforms ahead of it in line but we're hoping for sometime next spring. Doing these suspensions right to achieve our goal results means taking the time to fine tune everything. In the end the wait will be worth it.
      We sell some really cool parts, build cool cars, and do cool concept renderings too!
      My Pumkinator build thread- https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=pumkinator

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
      Nothing shows up on your website when I search "Articulink". What are these control arms?
      Hey Yukon-
      Below is a link to the Articulinks. Our arms are inspired by a desert race truck style arm that is designed to allow a great deal of suspension flex without bind. Basically it's a 2 piece arm that allows the front half to rotate around the rear half, unlike the more common solid arm that binds up as the suspension tries to rotate over bumps and in corners.

This link is for a factory 4-link car but the Torque arm uses the same construction for it's arms. CLICK HERE

Great name btw. ;)
      Last edited by Ben@SpeedTech; 06-13-2016 at 12:07 PM.

I'm all in to see what you guys come up with the Extreme kits, or even just some great double adjustable front struts with some magic tweaks from someone... Ron!

I'm out here in CO if you need me to hammer on it to make sure its actually better ;)
      Brandon Pursley,

Just realized something else I'd like you guys to be aware of when designing the ExtReme suspension. If you are going to replace the stock frame rails, it would be a huge benefit to replace them completely. They angle inward under the car, which makes header fitment a problem.

For years the only option for LS swap headers where the Stainless Works headers that are a Hawk's third gen exclusive and are $1100. There is now a Hooker set but they are also $1100. There is one Chinese option that I know of, also developed by Hawk's, but they are only offered in 1 3/4" primaries and they are still $600.

I just bought 4 sets of headers from Speed Engineering and I'm very impressed with the quality and price. They are $220-$280 for a pair, depending on primary size. I made a 1 7/8" 2nd gen F-body set fit my 3rd gen, but it took significant mods. DS is unmodified, but I had to modify both the header and frame rail on the passenger side.

Anyway, if you guys make your new set up fit 2nd gen headers, that opens up a whole world of header options for 3rd gen guys, and the money saved on headers could be put towards your suspension. I'd much rather buy $300 headers and put the extra $800 towards suspension.
      Traven

So far we've had some decent response to this suspension, just as we had hoped. I do have an emailer list specifically to keep folks updated on our future Extreme products. If anyone would like to be added to that list you can PM me your email or shoot me your info at [email protected]. The update emails are sent out safe and secure using "mailchimp" and we keep your info in house and never give it out.

@ Brandon- We'll keep you posted.

@ Traven- Thanks for the insight, we appreciate that a lot!

Ben I hope Speedtech can overcome the design issues with the 3rd gen platform. The front frame rails are very narrow at about 32" between them. The frame under the floor is even worse as it follows the contour of the trans tunnel and hugs a 7000R4 like a second skin. This leaves no room for long tube headers or collector extensions to run along side the transmission. The firewall and floor pan of a 3rd gen are made of 20 to 22 gauge sheetmetal and will require extensive plating and reinforcement to accept a bolt-in sub frame like a 1st or 2nd gen Camaro.

If you follow the posts on thirdgen.org the members there are looking for a suspension that provides a decent amount of camber gain so we don't have to run so much static camber; a spindle that will have a small scrub radius when running 305 or 315 tires; a tighter turning radius; decent akerman, and rack and pinion steering. Oh yeah it has to shave 30lbs off the factory stuff too!

I have installed a modified SLA front suspension from a 2000 Z28 into my 83 Z28. I used the lower A-arms, spindles, and steering rack, mounted on a custom K-member. The front wheels were moved 5" forward in the process to try and get a more favorable F/R weight distribution. Although it was a lot of work I now have a completely adjustable front end, caster/camber, toe and bump steer, anti-dive, roll center and ride height. I am hoping it will handle very well when it is completed.

My attempt at building a capable track day car...

83rd- Looks like you've got quite the project going there! Thanks for the insight, we are taking note on any feedback we get from you guys. You look far enough underway that you'll continue in that direction, but for your fellow 3rd gen brothers we hope to be able to avoid the custom type work you're going through. You may already know, our design team worked with Ron Sutton to come up with the best possible scenario in all those parameters you've mentioned so that these ExtReme suspensions handle like a race car but are still tame enough for street cruising. We're thinking with the gaining popularity of the CAM class and most venues putting these cars with the classic cars rather than the late models we believe this will be a popular suspension option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com