Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

View Poll Results: In your PT or Track Car, do you plan to run ...

Voters
    128. You may not vote on this poll
    • No roll bar or cage

21 16.41%
    • Roll bar without door bars

33 25.78%
    • Roll Bar with door bars

36 28.13%
    • Roll cage

38 29.69%
    Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by alphaenvirmgt View Post
      I would like to see a thread on installing a fire suppression system on a street-driven car that is autocrossed on weekends. I have seen several NICE cars burn to ground at drag strips due to fuel leaks. I'm thinking a system with nozzles mainly in the engine compartment and maybe around the fuel tank area. Cannot be any harder than running a new fuel system.
      Conrad
      http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Cold-F...tem,57527.html

Completely street safe and easy to install and service yourself.

-James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

So, 2 seconds after posting that I checked on another board and found this video:

Apparently the fuel return line on the subie came off and sprayed on the excuahst at the end of the course. The driver got out of the car but left the ignition on, so the fuel was still spraying. They emptied seven 5lb dry extinguishers. I think a good 30lb dry extinguisher strategically placed can save someone, and should be readily available at every event.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      I like that cold fire kit. Very nice. Gonna have to talk Geatano into a 2 liter kit.

When I design and plumb a fuel system and routing I do a few things to try to make it safer.
      I run as much hard line as I can.
      Switched from Inverted flare to AN fittings.
      We no longer use steel braided line. Kevlar or nomex shielded teflon line is now the norm for us. Lighter, flash fire resistant and easier to service.
      fuel pump, regulator, filter and fuel log covers or enclosures.

On the cage or no cage poll, I say it would depend on usage. AutoX maybe a harness bar and front strut for rigidty. Wheel to wheel, defi need a cage with door bars.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

I came across this story and pictures while reading about the new Chumpcar\USCA story and thought it would be relevant to post in this thread.

Well built high performance car running on Hallet, a somewhat supposedly safe road course.

Driver loses it in corner. Final result

Here's how it got like that...

Look closely at that last picture... See the bolt in roll bar base plates sticking up through the floor of the car?

**shudder**

The Mustang is one of three Hallett CarFX project Mustangs on the cover of the December issue of 5.0 Mustang magazine. The Hallett CarFX Mustang wrecked while putting in some track time in Jennings, Oklahoma. The entire wreck was captured by a photographer in a sequence of photos. The driver of the Mustang lost control and smashed through a tire wall. The horrible part comes next as the Mustang does a front flip landing on it's roof completely collapsing to the body of the car. The amazing part about the whole ordeal is the driver and passenger were not injured in the wreck. The Mustang did have a bolt-in roll-cage but it was driven through the floor board when it landed upside down. Let this be a lesson to all who have a bolt-in roll cage, go get it welded in properly.
      I've been told that Hallet is safer to run on than Heartland Park Topeka (a track I've spent some time on with my car) because there aren't any concrete walls around Hallet to run into if you run off course.

I'm happy the driver and passenger in the car above didn't get seriously hurt, still not sure how they didn't... But regardless, it just shows that even with the best of intentions, things can go horribly wrong very fast on a road course.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

I don't see how they survived but I'm glad to hear they did. That's why I personally never liked roll bars. To me the minute you decide to take your car onto ANY track you need a properly built roll cage. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      I don't see how they survived but I'm glad to hear they did. That's why I personally never liked roll bars. To me the minute you decide to take your car onto ANY track you need a properly built roll cage. Just my opinion.
      Roll bars are safe,only if there welded in not bolted in.my wife and i spoke about this when we were at sema thursday,there was a green 2nd gen camaro with a tiger cage that was all bolt/clamped full roll cage,and my wife said shouldnt that be welded in?even she felt its not a safe set up.im not smack talking on brets product just not feeling its safety .
      72 chevelle.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      I came across this story and pictures while reading about the new Chumpcar\USCA story and thought it would be relevant to post in this thread.

Well built high performance car running on Hallet, a somewhat supposedly safe road course.

Here's how it got like that...

Look closely at that last picture... See the bolt in roll bar base plates sticking up through the floor of the car?

**shudder**

I've been told that Hallet is safer to run on than Heartland Park Topeka (a track I've spent some time on with my car) because there aren't any concrete walls around Hallet to run into if you run off course.

I'm happy the driver and passenger in the car above didn't get seriously hurt, still not sure how they didn't... But regardless, it just shows that even with the best of intentions, things can go horribly wrong very fast on a road course.
      holy crap that was Hallet!? i never realized that, thats the only track i have ran on so far, That corner there has a name actually...."THE BITCH" now i see why. And yes Heartland park doesnt have as much run-off i heard. my friend totaled his car on that track last year from hitting the wall.
      67 GTO, LS2, T56

WILWOOD, FORGELINE, RIDETECH

The new "Safety for Pro-Touring Track Cars" thread is UP.

Click HERE.

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post

That was not a well built car. It had a bolt-in Autopower "bar" that was improperly installed. In addition it had reclining seats, also a bad idea for a track car. In this case, the mistake of putting in a reclining seat saved the driver from the other mistake of poorly installing a bolt in "bar".
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Name:  IMG_20140320_173146_363.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  106.1 KBName:  IMG_20140320_173214_381.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  107.4 KBHey Ron, I'm going to be installing a fuel cell in my 68 Camaro so I'll be cutting the trunk floor. My question is about adding to my roll cage in the trunk area. Currently it has an NHRA legal 10 point cage 1 3/4 tubing and .134 wall. I was curious as to what size tubing, wall thickness and how/ where should I install the rear bars to protect the fuel cell? I looked up NHRA rules but couldn't find anything. My idea was to run bars straight back toward the bumper and then a cross bar to tie the two rear bars behind the seats together. Your help is appreciated.

Ahmad
      Ahmad B.

You can get a pretty good idea looking at the photo of the green structure around the cell near the bottom of Post #2 in this safety thread. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ing-Track-Cars

I am very interested in all of the above. I hope to drive something at/on Daytona next year-USCA. Both candidates have roll bars. I haven't bought any safety equipment yet but have been researching and pricing my options. This would be very helpful and perfect timing. Thanks, Bill.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com