Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Planning and scheduling an Auto-X???

I just learned today that there is a high likelihood that I could get access to my local airport's blacktop area including the runway for an auto-x. Our local city administration is looking to increase the use of the facility and is open to other events. It's just a small local airport with a paved 125' x 600' area with a paved connection to the runway (also paved). Would one of you guys that has done an event please post in here or PM me what it takes to setup a small Auto-X? I'm thinking we could easily do something the size of the Peachstate Musclecar Challenge - 25-35 cars. Obviously I want to make sure liabilities are covered, but it would need to be done as low cost as possible.

Thanks!!!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

You'll definitely need liability insurance for starters. You'll also need cones and timing equipment plus a place to work from during each run group. Make sure the boundaries of the course are far enough away from any hazards such as curbs, fencing, trees, light standards, edges of the runway, and buildings. My recommendation is to enlist the help of a local autocross club or the SCCA as a good course designer will give everyone a fun course yet be safe.

You'll need to see what the airport requires as if this is an active airport, they may need manned stations preventing cars from entering areas they don't need to be in. Your entrants can also be courseworkers if you have three run groups. You'll need to have a driver's meeting and make it mandatory that everyone, drivers and spectators alike, attend. And delegate ... can't stress this enough.

Go out to the site and map it using drafting paper. Then draw up your course and mark your areas for grid, the timing trailer/table, and the paddock. Keep the course under a minute and when you draw it up, work in the overlap areas so you can run two cars on course.

Hope this helps,
      Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

I went and checked the pavement and area in general yesterday during a fly-in event. The pavement looks to be in pretty good shape, there are no obstacles at all on three of the four sides of the pavement. The only issue I saw is that one end has a slope off into a low/drainage ditch that might mess up someone's car if they managed to slide it to the bottom (it would take some speed to slide that far I think). Then the forth side however has two decently large hangers right off the pavement so those would have to be worked around to prevent the possibility of collision. There isn't a local autocross club or SCCA so I don't think that's an option for me. The good news is this is just a small town airport and there is enough area for planes to come and go without any interference at all to the paved area. The bad news is that I don't think the course can be laid out where 2 cars could be on track at the same time, but I could easily be proven wrong on this. I just need to get some information on insurance as I'm not even sure where to start. What companies offer this type insurance?

Thanks for the response Mary! I need all the help I can get!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Geoff ...

The event specific liability insurance part is one area I haven't researched. You might check with Bill Howell as he organizes and manages many Pro-Touring events throughout the year. He should be able to give you contact information for a carrier/agent and you can take it from there.

Check with the airport and find out what they require for limits first. Usually, the airport or owner of the site you're using has to be named on the policy as well.

And if you don't have too many cars, you may not need to run more than one car on the course at a time.

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Step 1 would be to contact your local SCCA/Porsche Club/ who ever else already runs local solo events. Find out from them what is involved and what they may charge to hire them for a day of fun.

-Tim
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

I wish - as far as I know there's no local club. I'm from small town USA where we have to pump in sunshine along with all the other necessities.
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Where are you located? SCCA, NASA, Porsche Club(PCA), Bimmer Club, and other such national organizations may not be right in your back yard but I would bet they aren't too far away.

The best part about a grass roots event like you are talking about is that most any organization will be pretty anxious to jump on board to help supply another opportunity for people to enjoy their performance cars safely.

Another good group to get in touch with would be SEMA. They will be able to put you in touch with local companies and provide you with materials to help get things done.

-Tim
      NJSPEEDER - Tim Mullaney
      New Jersey F-body Owners Association
      www.NJFBOA.org
      NJ's home for all owners, friends, and fans of Camaros and Firebirds

I'm in Wrens, Ga. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks,
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

FYI for anyone interested - this is still in planning stages. I have a co-worker helping me get access to the local airport (it's small enough we can close it except for emergency landings). I have asked him to arrange lunch with the city administrator so I can toss him my pitch. I should know more before Thanksgiving hopefully with an approval and some tentative dates.
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

We'll be following the progress of this. We would love to make it down if it happens!
      Tom

I have a call into my local insurance company to find out about insurance costs (or if they will even insure an event). Hoping for good news by the end of the day! For anyone planning to go to other events in 2012, I will be scheduling this around the other major Pro Touring events since the air port schedule is very flexible.
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

No insurance yet, but I do have interest in a sponsor! Things are slowly starting to come together...
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Geoff, you should talk to Jeff Tate up here, as he put together the PSMC series and secured insurance (I think it was around $1,500-2k for the weekend). He'll probably have a good recommendation. If it comes to fruition, and sabre is done, I'll be there.

I PM'd Jeff right after I started working on this. He gave me some good suggestions. I also PM'd Bill Howell and got some good info from him as well. I've got the number of a place to check on the insurance from a friend of mine locally, but I'm waiting to get permission to use the airport before I proceed. Another friend is supposed to be scheduling lunch with the city administrator for later this week so we can ask. Here's to hoping he says "Yes"!

I have a feeling Sabre is going to be done before my car is back running...
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

Honestly, if I didn't have Joe building it for me, it would probably take 3 times as long.

Geoff, any update on this?
      Adam
      1985 S10 - LT1 + T56
      1964 Chevy II 4-Door - LS1 + T56

Wow, guess I missed this thread. Like Adam said, any updates?

There are a few local Ga autocross clubs. The big one being solo atlanta.

Jeff and myself are still trying to get things worked out with Atlanta Motorsports park for PSMC. If that doesn't happen, I'm sure we will be looking at doing the 2 day autocross again for PSMC. Maybe we will have 2 smaller events in Ga this year. The only problem is getting the participation to break even. With all the big events that have tracks and autocross it's getting harder to get much more than the local guys to travel.

Let me know if you have any questions I might be able to help with.

Robert

Hi guys - no new news on this just yet. I had a discussion with my "partner" about setting a date yesterday. My intention is to avoid any of the American Streetcar Series meets by at least a couple weeks with the exception of the West coast events since it's very unlikely anyone would drive from California to this. I promise to have some info for you guys in the next week or so!
      GeoffP
      68 Camaro - LS1/T-56

cool, I'd be very interested in running it.

For the PSMC, even if it's a 2-day at red top Mountain Auto Auction, that will be a bigger draw this year than last. I know I would run, and have several other local friends that would want to as well. Plus, if we advertise locally, we will get more competitors. Just have to make sure it's a good weekend for the not-so-local guys so they can also attend.

You're only 1hr45 from me, so I would be interested in coming. I don't have anything to run, but I just like coming and hanging out.
      JC Scott

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com