PDA

View Full Version : 5speed

hag6888
06-25-2013, 05:15 PM
What's the best 5 speed transmission out ther that will fit the 67 C10

Smittys
06-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Tremic Tko the 6 speed t-56 magnum is a better choice.

catmull
06-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Are you going to be towing? If so the lower first gear on the tko 500 will be nice to get things rolling. Remember that with the trucks you will probably run a taller tire. Like a 30 inch. If i was you I would find the gear ratios of the the tko 500, 600 and t56 and put that info along with your tire size and rear end ratio into one of the online gear ratio mph rpm caluculators and see what would work best for your app.

CSGas
07-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Another alternative is the NV-4500, but it is heavier than the ones already mentioned and usually comes in 4WD set-up.

The NV 3500 theoretically should be a good light-duty (300 ft-lbs/350 hp) transmission that fits, but most people I've read about who were going to try it changed their minds to something else.

T-5 is a well-documented swap across the internet, but it is also very light-duty (the strongest config is 330 ft-lbs/300 hp)

For me, if I had a reasonable budget and wanted a junkyard trans I'd look for a T-56 (it won't be Magnum but it will be strong) or for new I'd get a TKO-500 but I just wanted you to know what the other practical alternatives were in case you needed the info.

From a competition point of view, you would hope to have direct drive as the gear you spend most of your time in on the course. If you hardly spend anytime on a straight, that guideline generally means you want an OD gearset. If you are doing mostly freeway driving, then you'll stress fewer components using a taller final drive gear and direct as your top gear.

Also your tires should end up between 27 inch and 30 inch, based on conversion from the E78-15 through G78-15 factory equipped on C-10s. I'm sure you're not going to use bias-ply tires with a 78 aspect ratio, probably not even 15 inch, so when you're deciding what you are going to use, keep those tire diameters in mind.