PDA

View Full Version : My HJ GTS Monaro (aus)

HJ GTS
06-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Hello all!

My name is Andrew, and I come from the land down under! I've had a little project thats been going on for quite a while, stopping as parts, money, time, or shed room disappear... But things are looking up, so hopefully I'll be getting some progress happening! Some info on the car; It started out as a 1974 Holden Monaro, powered by an Aussie Holden V8, backed by a four speed manual, nothing too fancy. Ive since slotted in an LS1 out of another Aussie car, a 2004 HSV Clubsport, with 285kw from factory, and a t56 six speed manual to suit. The old power steering box is gone, and in its place is a power assisted rack and pinion setup. Theres still a lot to go, including but not limited to, panel and paint, rear axle, brakes, suspension, and so on. The idea has always been to have new school power, old school looks, and the best handling I can manage to achieve. Being a GM car, it has a lot of similar parts to your American A-body, but most have just enough difference to make swapping parts difficult. I've joined the site for inspiration and help, and look forward to many wasted hours trawling through the threads of yesteryear. I'm a CNC machinist by trade, so make all of my own parts - having access to a decent workshop filled with all the gear is a huge plus when it comes to working on cars! Ill try and post up some pics in a couple of minutes, let me know what you think of some Australian muscle. Its a bit different to what you're probably used to, but its about time I see some Aussie style on these pages

HJ GTS
06-25-2013, 01:03 AM

The last couple of photos show the steering setup using a centre mount rack and pinion from a left hand drive US car that mounts behind the K frame, flipped and rotated to mount in front of the K frame on the opposite side (the right and correct! side). The design and setup of the rack was all done by Blacks Racks, who used my previous employer to do all the modifications and machining. I bought this setup second hand, only to find out later that it was one that I'd done all the machining on! Just above the rack, and mighty close to it, is the aircon compressor. As the rack and pinion setup takes up less room where it counts, i was able to low mount the compressor. Out of sight to tidy up the engine bay instead of having it up by the valve covers! The mounts havent been finished yet, but the position is pretty much finalised. Missing from the pics is the bracketry for the belt tensioner.

HJ GTS
06-25-2013, 01:09 AM
I had to chop the tunnel and raise it to fit the transmission in, they're certainly not made for sitting in the space of a little four speed! Ive mounted the motor as far back to the firewall, and as low as possible, but it now sits where i want it. The sump doesnt protrude below the K frame, and the box isnt hanging down in the weeds. Ive just got one big hole to patch up!

AusMarty
12-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Come on buddy - you're not the only one!
Keep the pics coming mate!

Don't give up - we need more cool non-leb/greek spec HQ's!

HJ GTS
12-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Power steering lines are made, had to make up my own bender to bend the hard lines, but they came up trick. Billet fuel rails, air filter, and rocker covers are all fitted up, smog gear is all removed and hidden, and I've mounted up a late model brake booster and fast fill master cylinder. Clutch master is mounted, clutch pedal is modified, and new pushrod made. I'll get some pics up soon!