PDA

View Full Version : Who's put a T-56 in a Mustang?

wantahertzdonut
08-23-2005, 12:02 PM
Has anyone on here installed a T-56 or other 6 speed tranny into a Mustang? What did you have to do to get it to fit? I'm considering one for my 1970 Mach and I've seen others with it done, but I don't know if there is enough room in the transmission tunnel needs to be enlarged.

Are there any other issues that need to be addressed with this installation? The car is an auto right now so it's getting converted to at least a 5-sp, either a T-5 or TKO. But if I can find a T-56 for a little more then I'd like to go for it, assuming it'll fit without major issues.

chicane67
08-23-2005, 07:33 PM
Did you get ahold of John Mustangs and Classics ?? I was kinda wondering what came out of any discussion you may of had with them....

wantahertzdonut
08-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Never heard of the guys. Do they have a website?

wantahertzdonut
08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Doh, disregard that, I just found the other thread you are referring to. I never checked back on that one, I'll see what those guys do.

The only thing is I'm more interested in seeing if the tranny will even go, all the parts I'll pick up myself or fabricate. No point in buying things like a crossmember for $200 when I can make one myself for under $10.

Some other kits I've seen go for about $3500, which is a tad more than I'd like to spend. I want to just get a used tranny, new clutch setup, and everything else I can make myself. I figure I can do it for a lot less (so then I could actually afford it!)

kmcanally
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
I am very interested in this as well. For now I am going to finsh my car with the 4 speed but eventually will go to either a 5 or 6 speed.

This link is to the first page of an article on the subject...unfortunately you have to subscribe and pay to see pages 2 & 3.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/T56Swap/index.php

Maxsterblaster
07-10-2015, 09:25 AM
yes i am currently running a T-56 in a 70. the only thing i had to do was make a cross-member and get a drive line fit. the tunnel did not have alterred in any way