PDA

View Full Version : Tall ball joints. Are they available

custom 68
06-21-2013, 07:11 AM
Hello all I am working on a 1968 Chevy pickup and am always looking for ways to improve, I have seen a tall upper ball joint available for camaros and such and have heard reference that there are some for trucks too. What is available for these classic trucks? Due to unfortunate events I am probably going to need to replace my drop spindles so I can go with the 73 plus years if necessary.
During the power tour I spun a front outer bearing, I got it home but am afraid the damage is such I better replace so my money will go toward a replacement I am afraid.
I found these but not sure if they will work?
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-1973-95-Truck-Style-Replacement-Upper-Ball-Joint,3522.html

are there others you would recommend?

RobNoLimit
06-21-2013, 08:42 AM
These will work, you may need to ream the upper tapered hole in the spindle. Speedway also has the tool for that. Also check Howe Racing and Cirlce Track Supply. If you are going to get new spindles, get the 73-87 spec. - You will need outer tie rod adjusting sleaves (adapter) CPP has them.

custom 68
06-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Thanks Rob, I had also posted over on the 67-72 truck forums. I will check the other places. I was not sure if the mounting plates were the same as my stock ones or not. I figure I will check on them and see.
I hoped I would not need new spindles but I am afraid I better replace them. Better safe than sorry. If so I will look at the 73-87 stuff. I am still looking at the possibility of your rack and pinion setup for this thing so that would take care of those tie rod ends...
Thanks
Dave

Ziegelsteinfaust
07-08-2013, 05:10 PM
If you want to make you C10 handle move the lower A-arm forward 1 inch in relation to the upper. The C series trucks have very little camber gain, and tall ball joints won't be as effective.

I have a 74 C20, and I plan to bob it into a short bed. With fully tweaked stock suspension for a rally type truck effect.

If your cleaver you can find all the good factory parts for a fraction the price of new ones.

custom 68
07-09-2013, 05:17 AM
Thanks for that info. It seems like tall ball joints have proved hard to find anyway. I am hearing conflicting info.
On moving the lower a-arm I had heard about that mod but understood it was for Caster not camber gain? Due to some other changes I purchased aftermarket upper arms which resulted in getting my caster good, I don't have my spec sheet with me but I think I am close to 6 to 7 degrees so any more movement of the lower a-arms will add to this and I am afraid I would have too much.
I had also thought about redoing my upper mounts to possibly move them down. I am currently running coil overs so I built some upper mounts and can change this location if necessary. It also seems like I have quite a bit of anti-dive with the front of the upper a-arm kicked quite a bit up.
If you have any other thoughts on this I am all about modifying my stock stuff for the best gains.
thnks
Dave