PDA

View Full Version : Convertible sub woofer install options

65 drop top
06-20-2013, 12:17 AM
I want to install a decent sounding sub in a 65 chevelle convertible. I'm thinking about a single 10", maybe two 8's, nothing crazy. What is the best type of box for a convertible, subs facing forward, rear, up, sideways? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

CKreations
06-24-2013, 10:43 PM
If you're looking for "nothing crazy" and have limited convertible-esque space, you'd be more than happy with a single 8" and the right sub amp box combo. Run a quick search for sub amp matching and then read the specs for them sub itself. The mfg will tell you what size box is optimal. Anyway, all i'm saying is that one 8 can be more than satisfactory.

KacyZ28
06-27-2013, 08:57 PM
I saw a guy install a sub in a vert that was ported to the interior from the trunk. When I asked why it was done like that he said because with the top down the majority of the bass was lost and by doing the port like that it sounded the same way with the top up or down.

DJ Mabe
09-16-2013, 03:42 AM
i have two 8" forward facing in my trunk area (into the back seat area) and wish I had done something else. To me the sound is almost perfect with the top up but as soon as you let it down forget it. The bass is gone. I'm looking into adding two 6" subs to the front side of the car. Possibly building something under the dash or into the front side of the console. It's just so hard to keep all the sound around you when you put the top down so take your time and consider all options for placement. Trunk bass will be lost when the top is down.

scott_fx
09-16-2013, 09:19 AM
with a vert; i believe, you need a 12" to move the air enough. but above that, if you can fit larger midbass upfront you'll be much more happy (7"-8"), you'll feel the sub but the midbass is where the sweetspot is in my opinion.

my last build ('99 corvette vert) had a 12" in the trunk 7" and tweets in the stock door location. the sound was great with the topdown and even pretty good with the top down at highway speeds.

all that being said. it's important to have the power and properly constructed box to get the most out of any sub

Z06killinSBF
09-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Yes, you need lots of air moving to keep the tunes with a convertible. A quality 10 or 12 in a correct ported box will give you plenty of sound. I agree with what scott fx said.

65 drop top
07-28-2014, 12:26 AM
I'm getting close to doing the sound system now and bringing this thread back. So what is the best position for a trunk mounted sub or subs?

andrewb70
07-28-2014, 04:06 AM
I'm getting close to doing the sound system now and bringing this thread back. So what is the best position for a trunk mounted sub or subs?

I just went though all that...LOL...

In short, points them towards the rear. That worked best for me...can't say what it will be like in a convertible. I would also agree with scott_fx, in that you need good front mid-bass drivers. This is a challenge in an A-body. You will either have to make or modify your kick panels or make custom pods for the doors.

Andrew

chuckd71
08-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I have a 12w6 in the trunk and it is more than enough. Kind of on the large size though, so I think I might try an 8 in the cabin.

ProTouring442
10-12-2014, 08:03 PM
There are som seriously shallow 8" and 10" subs out there you can work into the doors. This is probably the route I will take with my '72 442.

scott_fx
10-16-2014, 08:32 AM
There are som seriously shallow 8" and 10" subs out there you can work into the doors. This is probably the route I will take with my '72 442.

would you be putting in a mid in the door as well? or are you expecting the door sub to play high enough up to blend with a tweeter?
also, the performance may not be optimal since you really can't seal a door. I'd shy away from this approach. maybe an 8" mid in the door but leave the sub in the trunk .

jlcustomz
10-17-2014, 03:39 PM
Although I've never did a stereo install in a convertible, I have set up a few in commercial panel vans that would ride a lot with the doors slid open on the highway.

You need a setup to put the actual sub air pressure up front. This could be ported from trunk as mentioned, firing into backseat, mounted in rear deck ,or small compact design subs in small custom boxes under seat. Bazooka tubes could be an easy option if you could fit under or behind front seats .Downfiring could be good for under seat, sound is more naturally dispursed.

As far as sound quality, subs made for tiny traditional boxes tend to have more of a peaky one note sound & are less efficient where larger sealed boxes produce more natural clean tones.
Google interiors by Shannon, I think some of his cars had perforated aluminum grilles worked into the rear interior for ports.

Also necessary for any great convertible stereo is very sufficient clean amp power for all speakers & a good eq setup. Don't want others to hear your cheap distortion. :pat:

Just my thoughts. :git: