PDA

View Full Version : Setting engine back? (Camaro)

GetMore
08-22-2005, 04:48 PM
Has anyone here tried moving their engine or transmission back a couple of inches or so? What is the first thing to hit?

MrQuick
08-22-2005, 05:32 PM
A couple of inches will be more trouble than help...5" would be a minimum to make a difference.

Kenova
08-23-2005, 04:53 PM
What is the first thing to hit?
I'm guessing the distributer. It can be a clearence problem even in the stock location. Right side valve cover would be next, and after that, your tranny would most likely hit the floor. But I'm just guessing of course.
Ken

GetMore
08-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Two or three inches I think I can do without modifying the firewall. Five, on the other hand, is going to take more modification than I am capable of. A little sheetmetal work for the transmission tunnel I can handle, if needed, but the firewall is much too complicated and I don't have the skill yet.
Besides, even if it's only two inches, since I have everything apart right now, what have I got to lose?

MuscleRodz
08-23-2005, 06:50 PM
You won't move the motor hardly at all before it hits. 1 or 2 inches isn't worth it. Better off going with an aluminum block. You will need to move it back 5" plus to see any benefits. 50/50 is way back, Phaseshifts car is way back, Big Red is way back, all of these are closer to 6-8 inches back.

Mike

Rick Dorion
08-24-2005, 04:01 AM
If you haven't already, put the battery in the trunk. According to Herb Adams this is equivalent to setting the motor back a significant distance. I may be having memory problems on the exact benefit but it was significant.

Steve Chryssos
08-24-2005, 09:25 AM
My engine is set back solely for the purpose of increasing steering rack to harmonic damper clearance. The rack had to be moved to reslove bumpsteer issues with the ARDF clip, so the engine went up 1/2" and as far back as the distributor would allow. End result:
-Accessing transmission bellhousing bolts is a major pain in the arse.
-Offset base air cleaner was required to clear the cowl hood opening.
-Transmission dipstick had to be "modified"

Other than that, don't do it unless you must. Biggest problem will be locating under-dash components if you go back in a big way. The Gale Banks Camaro made use of a formed steel wheelbarrow to simplify fabrication.
/Steevo

http://www.bankspower.com/camaro-FirewallCowlMod.cfm

Protour_Pinto
09-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Like the others have said, A little will just be a pain in the butt. You have to remember that the driveshaft will have to be shortened, The trans mount moved/modified, exhaust will have to be addressed, floor/firewall modified, foot controls moved, and the list of little stuff is just as long.

Unless your beating on it hard I dont see how it would realy benifit you in the long run. Its a lot of work but if its done right its a great improvement.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=471

GetMore
09-21-2005, 03:04 PM
You are correct, but in this case I am starting with the car disassembled, the transmission is changing, the exhaust is going to be brand new, it is an automatic and I'm making all new lines for the fluids. So I guess that half of the issues were going to have to be done on this car anyway.
I suppose it'll all come down to how ambitious I get. ;)

B Schein
09-21-2005, 04:29 PM
I set mine back a lot I am not sure on the exact numbers but it is at least 11 inches The main reason to clear the rack
some pictures here (http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=908)

supergas1969
09-23-2005, 11:09 AM
My 69 motor is moved back about 12 inchs for weight . But the firer wall is at the end of the windsheild and there is not alot of room for my feet. But i'm 6'4" and it's just a drag car not a driver. My rack is in front of my cross support .