PDA

View Full Version : Intro, Classic Trucks! and lets spread the word.

Wes.Drelleshak
06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Hey truck people,
My name is Wes Drelleshak and I'm the Associate Editor for Classic Trucks Magazine.

For about 3 years now I've been addicted to the Pro-Touring trend and ways to make Trucks handle better, More specifically Classic Trucks.

It all started for me when Bret from Ride Tech invited a few Editors to Jasper Indiana for a little shock testing. Bret let us drive several cars, trucks and one fiber glass hot rod.

I've been around racing in the form of BMX racing during my teens-late 20's but never had the opportunity to flog any high performance street/race cars before this, especially someones elses pride and joy.

My eyes were open to a new world of what was possible.... I had no idea it was so simple and so complex all at the same time. So I start thinking about how to make my '59 Chevy Fleetside handle better and I started looking at what others were doing, Rob McGregor, Greg Schneider, Rob Phillips,Rob Mckeown,Mike Hickman, Deuces Wild John and RJ and lots of others.

I had a conversation with Marcell Venable of Socal Challenge during the 2012 Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge in NV. The topic came up of how cool it was to see 6 trucks competing in the event and how, do we get more trucks at events like it. So this morning( 6 months later ) I got the brite idea ( why didn't I think of it sooner ) to texted Larry Callahan that same question. How do we get more truck auto-crossing?

His response was to create a Thread on Pro-Touring specific to trucks. Wow! I didn't expect that but I'm happy to be apart of it. With magazines,tv shows and internet all showing performance trucks how do we make it so more people get involved with Pro-Touring?

csouth
06-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Good to see an area finally setup for the trucks. There are definitely some nice rides out there. Heck the Roadster Shop would have won the PHR Muscle Car of the Year had it not been a truck.

Rod
06-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Wes man!!! good to have you here

Yelcamino
06-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Welcome aboard Wes! (Rob Mcgaffin introduced us at Nashville Goodguys)

Slick68
06-13-2013, 04:08 AM
Wes, welcome to Pro-Touring.com! Thanks you for getting this started and rolling. As a truck nut myself, I've been doing some autocrossing in my 68C10. Although I'm not great at it, I'm having a great time with it. I'm hoping to soon be able to start upgrading suspension component, get a better wheel/tire combo, and start making driver mods as well to improve my game. It's great to see someone finally take initiative to make this more publicized.

Hey truck people,
With magazines,tv shows and internet all showing performance trucks how do we make it so more people get involved with Pro-Touring?

Basically, to answer this question is simply by getting enough aftermarket support to make the market for truck suspensions to be more competitive so prices can ease off. I know you get what you pay for, but some of the stuff I've been shopping and looking at seems to be way pricier than similar components for "cars". I understand that performance suspension for trucks is a relatively new concept and a lot of R&D has to be done to figure out better geometry, weight bias, and all that jazz that I know little about. Racers have been working on making their Camaros and Mustangs handle better since T/A racing in the 60's, so it's taken a long time to sort these things out. With modern advancements in technology, it shouldn't take that long for truck suspension to "catch up". The market just needs to become more competitive as these advances become available and as more truck enthusiasts start taking more notice to the handling market.

Peter Mc Mahon
06-13-2013, 05:09 AM
Hey awesome, glad your on here. I read your magazine. I'm working on a 56 F100 with a coyote motor. Hope to see some serious pro touring trucks in your magazine.
Peter

lilbill72
06-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Glad there's finally a truck section on here. Looking forward to finding the truck builds a lot easier

Buryingthesun
06-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Nice too see a truck section finally, Many nice truck builds here and now a home for them!

AutoX_a_Truck?
06-13-2013, 10:16 AM
His response was to create a Thread on Pro-Touring specific to trucks. Wow! I didn't expect that but I'm happy to be apart of it.

Nice!

Wes, your truck is one of my favorites. I would love to see it in person someday.

Pro touring or not, I was pumped to see that Classic Trucks put a pic of my truck in the magazine a few years back!

brawls43
06-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Awesome, a truck section! Love the articles Wes, been a subscriber for years. Been trying to convert my 1950 F-1 to a pro-touring chassis for a couple years now. Got a bit distracted doing some Chumpcar racing. Hope to finish my chassis this year and have it on the road next spring.

bovey
06-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Hey Wes, this is great. It's amazing how people still don't see trucks as a performance platform. I've owned my 71 GMC for 25 years now and I still get people who still think the only muscle car is a 69 Z or a GTO... Anyway, I pleasantly give them a good view of my tail lights.

On the pro touring front, I'm shocked at how well my truck handles with even mild suspension upgrades. Hell, it's only the beginning, more to come.

protouring70
06-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Alright!!!!!! I was excited to see this!!! I love following everyones builds but this exciting to see a truck section here!!!!!Thanks Guys!!

driveit
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Nice!

Wes, your truck is one of my favorites. I would love to see it in person someday.

Pro touring or not, I was pumped to see that Classic Trucks put a pic of my truck in the magazine a few years back!

Love this truck!!!

RobNoLimit
06-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Woo-Hoo!!!! Glad we got our own section. I do a lot on the 67-72 site, but I get lost on the whole "layin rocker on 22's" - just not my thing. Anything we can do to help get more trucks out there.With the basis of this site already set in performance, this should be the perfect spot. Now we just have to tell all the truck guys - ?? any thoughts of a sidebar mention in an upcoming mag Wes?
Matt, where have you been shopping? Our No Limit Wide-Ride IFS is under 3k complete, thats almost half the cost that the typical Camaro guy shells out. Is it as good? well, we win alot, Summers and Sons won the Columbus Shootout last year on our suspension, Smitty's runs it, along with Finch/Turner. 4 of the 5 C10's at Optima were on No Limit suspension. Thats pretty good. :) If we could only get some ink in Classic Trucks.

shizzy
06-14-2013, 04:54 PM
also glad to see a truck section. My main driving factor for building a truck is freedom of expression and easier buy in.

Blue Oval Man
06-14-2013, 05:13 PM
Good deal. By the way, love your magazine. I will soon be starting on my 72 F100 to be done pro touring style. It will have an 04 Mercury Marquis front suspension and a 98 Lincoln Mk VIII independent rear suspension. Original plans were to use the Lincoln 4 valve mod motor but that damn Coyote is just so tempting. The frame wil be fully boxed with added X crossmember and with some simple mods to my chosen suspension pieces it should handle quite well. This truck will be on a limited budget hence the choice of factory type suspension. Maybe the next one can get all fancy with the aftermarket stuff.
David.

protouring70
06-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Hey Rob.....I will look into your products. I was looking at CPP for the budget side of things but also want a great product like you offer with results to back it up!

Bob B
06-15-2013, 08:48 AM
Sweet Action! I'm rebuilding my first truck, with performance and handling a priority. I love to drive hard and plan on beating on it when finished. Always interested in other truck builds. Thank guys!

Smittys
06-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Truck section Love this idea! I have always been a truck guy the more info that is out there the better. We need a build thread sub section. I'm at the East Coast Nats right now and there was a 59 Chevy truck running today with the spare tire on the bedside. I think he was having more fun then anyone you don't have to have the fastest most high tech truck to get started. Rob has some awesome parts available for most years Ride Tech has a lot of kits available as well.

There are a lot of trucks out there on Airride you would be amazed at what some good shocks and sway bars will do to them and I do race my truck on air!

RobNoLimit
06-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Here's a few picts of a fun build. This was done as a display vehicle for Black Widow Mufflers. We used Off-Road fiberglass to widen the body 6", then stuff 335's on all corners. - no extra work involved! Some simple suspension mods and a 6.0 LQ9 + T5 and she's ready to rumble. Super fun to drive, and has already run into the 45 second zone at A.M.P. - ask Wes, thats fast!

srh3trinity
06-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Here's a few picts of a fun build. This was done as a display vehicle for Black Widow Mufflers. We used Off-Road fiberglass to widen the body 6", then stuff 335's on all corners. - no extra work involved! Some simple suspension mods and a 6.0 LQ9 + T5 and she's ready to rumble. Super fun to drive, and has already run into the 45 second zone at A.M.P. - ask Wes, thats fast!
I always thought pre-runner fenders would give a lot of room.

RobNoLimit
06-17-2013, 10:55 AM

HAHA, lookin at the picts, this is just a 50 year younger version of Tylers hauler.

Rod
06-17-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't have a knife in this fight but just jumping in

not only wider, but it reduced the weight on the truck with fiberglass fenders and fiberglass bed sides and that's a big benefit, truck looked good at the event, and there's more to be had

struck by Lightning
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Awesome to see a truck section and while my truck isn't a classic, I'm still having a great time carving the corners in a 4,900 pound brick!
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/06/fc87xu-1.jpg

GeoffP
06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
I don't own a PT capable truck considering it's a 2500 HD but my buddy is building a 96 swb Chevy with a 6.0/4L80e that would qualify. I've been trying to spur him along to get it done so he can bring it to an event sometime soon!

tazzz25906112
06-17-2013, 06:05 PM

Rob that thing looks like """WAY TOO MUCH FUN""" ya gotta send me some pic's/info on this one and what you did to it....

protouring70
06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Rob do you have any sway bars for c10. I've looked at your springs and drop spindles. When things get closer I might be calling you for a package deal!

RobNoLimit
06-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes sir we do! our front bar is conventional, but fits directly to the bottom of the rail (no drop mount) to gain ground clearance. 1 3/8 .250" wall W/heim links. The rear bar is a little less conventional. Mounts over the top of the rail, in front of the axle. Arms come out around the spring/bag for a wide stance, links connect to mount plate at the trailing arm/axle mount. 1 1/8" solid. Best bang for the buck by a long shot.

06RangerSTX
06-18-2013, 10:04 AM
It is fantastic to see a forum just for Pro-Touring trucks! I myself started a website a few years back that never got really off the ground... I sure hope to see if this forum works out!!! I hope to someday be in the ranks of having a pro-touring truck...

struck by Lightning
06-19-2013, 10:33 AM
I don't own a PT capable truck considering it's a 2500 HD but my buddy is building a 96 swb Chevy with a 6.0/4L80e that would qualify. I've been trying to spur him along to get it done so he can bring it to an event sometime soon!

The 96 sounds like a cool project and you should run the 2500 HD just to see what it will do.

72D100
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
I'm glad to see a protouring trucks section here. now that i have my 72 dodge drivable i can finally start swaying it the pro touring direction. this should be interesting seeing there is no parts available for theses trucks whatsoever

custom 68
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
This is great. I am always in to learn more and try to add when I can. I have a 1968 SWB chevy and have had it for 25 or so years and have done tons to it. I am in the process of learning what to modify on the front suspension to make it "better".
Even tho several of the suspensions are priced right I am working to modify what I have. This will be fun.
Thanks
David

Slick68
06-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Matt, where have you been shopping? Our No Limit Wide-Ride IFS is under 3k complete, thats almost half the cost that the typical Camaro guy shells out. Is it as good? well, we win alot, Summers and Sons won the Columbus Shootout last year on our suspension, Smitty's runs it, along with Finch/Turner. 4 of the 5 C10's at Optima were on No Limit suspension. Thats pretty good. :) If we could only get some ink in Classic Trucks.

I've been looking at Hotchkis, DSE, Porterbuilt, Roadster Shop(full chassis), and even contacted Jeff Schwartz. Even though Schwartz isn't making anything in particular for 67-72's, he offered to custom build a chassis for my truck, which is WAY out of budget. I had look at you products also, but maybe with looking at so many options, my prices may have been jumbled with others. I'll do some more research on the 67-72 board.

Also, a little birdie told me that TCI is building a system for 67-72's.

WideOpenThrottle
06-21-2013, 05:31 AM
Ditto on nice to see a truck specific section...

Pick-ups in the pro-touring arena is a nice way to be a little more unique in a group of cars (pro-touring) that are already generaly quite different in the performance world as they are typically an external representation of the internal desires of the owners'/creators' where function takes precedence over form (depends on who you ask and for me function defines beauty). Contrary to the rest of the car community, where form is mission number 1.

My ride (see attached)... Goal = Hit all my driving experience bucket list items -> Silver State Classic, Texas Mile, Nurburgring, etc... Not typical for a pick-up :)

Max

struck by Lightning
06-21-2013, 10:08 AM
Ditto on nice to see a truck specific section...

Pick-ups in the pro-touring arena is a nice way to be a little more unique in a group of cars (pro-touring) that are already generaly quite different in the performance world as they are typically an external representation of the internal desires of the owners'/creators' where function takes precedence over form (depends on who you ask and for me function defines beauty). Contrary to the rest of the car community, where form is mission number 1.

My ride (see attached)... Goal = Hit all my driving experience bucket list items -> Silver State Classic, Texas Mile, Nurburgring, etc... Not typical for a pick-up :)

Max

Nice truck! Are those ZR1 Corvette wheels on the truck?

WideOpenThrottle
06-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Yes and no. They are knock off's but are the same dimensions as the fronts on a ZR1. They are from Factory Reproductions.

It was a fun converting the truck from 6 lug to 5 to get those wheels to work. Worth it though, I can now run any corvette brake setup available for C5 and C6. Although it stops plenty good with the stock mono-bloc C6 Z06 brakes so I don't see upgrading any time in the near future.

Max

struck by Lightning
06-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Yes and no. They are knock off's but are the same dimensions as the fronts on a ZR1. They are from Factory Reproductions.

It was a fun converting the truck from 6 lug to 5 to get those wheels to work. Worth it though, I can now run any corvette brake setup available for C5 and C6. Although it stops plenty good with the stock mono-bloc C6 Z06 brakes so I don't see upgrading any time in the near future.

Max

The wheels look good and I have been thinking of getting a set for my vette.

George

DRV
06-24-2013, 05:16 AM
Great to see a section dedicated to trucks. I am in finishing the restoration of two 69 pt camaros and the information found on this site has been amazing. Started another project for my oldest son and it has been a challenge to find pt parts for my new 1970 c10 project.

Thanks
Tony

LS2-C10
06-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Finally got an account set up here, I don't know what took me so long, glad there is a truck section now!

aray327
06-27-2013, 02:37 PM
I guess I should come in! Just started building my 55 Chevy. It will ride on C4 front and rear. Finished weldings the rear tabs and mounting in the rear. Soon I will start to mock up the front. I have an LS motor currently thinking it's patio furniture waiting for its permanent home. It will be more of a cruiser/work truck but PT is in my blood now, so I expect to find out how it will do in an autocross! Then we all know what happens after that. Bump the HP, suspension upgrades... There goes my work truck

protouring70
06-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Sweet

low68
06-27-2013, 07:31 PM
I now know where all my free time will be spent. I am hooked on autocrossing my truck and have gotten several of my friends hooked as well. I am excited to look through this part of the forum.

protouring70
06-28-2013, 12:42 AM
Love the truck!! Any info

low68
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
68 with a 383/tko600. Hotchkiss springs. ECE spindles. 4 wheel disc brakes. Currently running a 1 1/16 front sway bar and a 1 1/8 rear. Hankook v12 tires. I moved the lower control arms forward 1 inch to get 7 degrees of caster. I have lots of plans for making it faster, just doing it slow as I get the money.

Wes.Drelleshak
06-28-2013, 09:36 AM
I now know where all my free time will be spent. I am hooked on autocrossing my truck and have gotten several of my friends hooked as well. I am excited to look through this part of the forum.
Cool shot of you drifting the finish line. I was out there for this event and somehow didnt see you run.

low68
06-28-2013, 01:25 PM
I was having steering issues that day. I went home after my first run of the day and put a power steering cooler on my truck and didn't make it back until the afternoon.

LS2-C10
07-01-2013, 12:52 PM
Awesome shot of it!

LS2-C10
07-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Here's a video of mine last year at Good Guys in Columbus, you can see how bad the rear was squatting under any acceleration but we only had it on the road about a week or 2 before we took it over. After that we played with the trailing arm position and got it under control but never had it back to the track. This video was the 2 or 3rd time on the track and I believe Rob MacGregor was in it on this run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2KIaNc33o

LS2-C10
07-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Here's a video of Rob showing us how it's done, from Columbus last year as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ajpzXhGYwA

Tricky
07-03-2013, 11:11 PM
This pro-truck section, way over due! Very excited about the possibilities. We need an event like how Truckin mag does the "Truck Shoot Out". Does everybody know about the new 3.15 mile track at the corvette museum? Check it out NCM Motorsports park.com. I just read (1:45 AM) that pro-touring trucks are needed at the "Run to Music City" event and the "Trucks" tv program will b filming!!!!! Race u there.

LS2-C10
07-04-2013, 04:55 AM
This pro-truck section, way over due! Very excited about the possibilities. We need an event like how Truckin mag does the "Truck Shoot Out". Does everybody know about the new 3.15 mile track at the corvette museum? Check it out NCM Motorsports park.com. I just read (1:45 AM) that pro-touring trucks are needed at the "Run to Music City" event and the "Trucks" tv program will b filming!!!!! Race u there.

When are they doing that??

Tricky
07-04-2013, 05:49 PM
The "Run to music city" starts Friday in Nashville @ Nashville fair grounds.

LS2-C10
07-05-2013, 06:21 PM

Not going to be ready for that one lol, next year for sure!

tazzz25906112
07-06-2013, 06:26 AM
Not going to be ready for that one lol, next year for sure!

We'll run the trucks together next year... I'm involved with the ASCS and normally I'd be there....

Slick68
07-08-2013, 04:26 AM

How'd the weekend go? I wanted to be there, but the rain kept me away.

LS2-C10
07-08-2013, 06:40 PM
We'll run the trucks together next year... I'm involved with the ASCS and normally I'd be there....
That would be awesome! looking forward to it already!

Tricky
07-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Best time ever,even received the most spirited person award by my buddy Brain Finch. I will post pics as soon as I figure out this new phone!

ohsolow
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Wes for mayor!

48prerunner
07-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Been reading that mag for years would be great to see more protouring info. My truck is coming along 69 f-100 2004 crown vic front swap, Coyote with a t-45 9" rear. Hope to have it on the road by sept.7955379554

FRENCHBLUE72
07-22-2013, 03:13 PM
I myself and glad to see a pro truck forum..