PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen camaro subframe,drop spindles or drop coils?

wadem
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM
starting on my new project(68 camaro) this weekend and have a few questions for you guys.Im removing the front subframe to clean it up and powdercoat and installing detroit speeds half height bushings and doing a disc brake upgrade,stock a arms with new bushing/balljoints along with the Guldstand mod.My question is i want to lower the car a few inches and was originally going to go with a set of 2 inch drop spindles but i want to do tube a arms on it in the very near future once i get the car running and driving and have heard some arms actually drop the car and not to use drop spindles with them,#1 is this true and #2 do you guys reccomend using the drop spindles or keep my stock spindles and use a drop coil? the car is mainly going to be a driver and will hardly ever be raced .

77thor
06-12-2013, 03:08 PM
You may want to read this...
http://pozziracing.com/first_gen_suspension_geome.htm#Drop%20Spindles
Drop spindles are NOT recommended for first gen Camaro's due to clearance issues.

XLexusTech
06-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Gulstrand Mod, stock spindles and landrum spring adjuster.

wadem
06-13-2013, 06:45 AM
wow thanks guys,my next question is do i really even need to do a Gulstrand mod? my car will probaly never be autocroosed or cornered hard,just a clean low cruiser/driver.Is there any advantage/disadvantage is doing this mod?

77thor
06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Not really.

Look around the Pozzi Racing site that I included above.
All your suspension answers are there. Posted by professionals who know this stuff.

Rod
06-13-2013, 02:22 PM
wow thanks guys,my next question is do i really even need to do a Gulstrand mod? my car will probaly never be autocroosed or cornered hard,just a clean low cruiser/driver.Is there any advantage/disadvantage is doing this mod?

YES! its not about autocrossing or racing its about correcting the bad geometry on the Camaro just to be safe, it tracks a straighter line, and fixes an anti-dive issue, along with giving better(more) castor, all that makes the car safer(easier) to drive

XLexusTech
06-13-2013, 04:17 PM
YES! its not about autocrossing or racing its about correcting the bad geometry on the Camaro just to be safe, it tracks a straighter line, and fixes an anti-dive issue, along with giving better(more) castor, all that makes the car safer(easier) to drive

+1 on that.. also check out car cassanova's site he has alot of great info.

wadem
06-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys.so I need to for sure stay away from drop spindles correct?

XLexusTech
06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes

brnzbuddha
06-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes

Smoker03
06-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Not unless if you went with the ridetech tru turn setup which incorporates their tall drop spindle. For what you are wanting from the car, your best bet it to do a set of drop coils from Hotchkis with the guldstrand mod

Rod
06-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Not unless if you went with the ridetech tru turn setup which incorporates their tall drop spindle. For what you are wanting from the car, your best bet it to do a set of drop coils from Hotchkis with the guldstrand mod

Smoker03 has you on the right track, a set of drop coils from Hotchkis with the guldstrand mod and the Ridetech Tru Turn, and that car will drive and turn in sweet!!!!

XLexusTech
06-14-2013, 03:59 AM
Smoker03 has you on the right track, a set of drop coils from Hotchkis with the guldstrand mod and the Ridetech Tru Turn, and that car will drive and turn in sweet!!!!

Dont disagree on the fundamentals.. that will defiantly give you a great geometry ect... However once you start down this road dollar to dollar you start to reconsider the route... before doing that I would put it all down on paper... weigh the costs..... benefits.. and goals...

For me it's either all stock with tweaks.. (gulsdtadn Mod, spring adjusters Drum hubs big brakes junkyard Iroc Box) OR go aftermarket sub/Rack ect... I started down the path he is going.. started accumulating parts... and it really added up... ended up selling it all and going aftermarket for a few more bucks...

in the end the BEST thing to do is map goals to budget IMHO.

wadem
06-14-2013, 04:46 AM
thanks alot guys for all the help.im going to do the guldstrand mod and a set of Hotchkis coils and tweak it a little from there.i appreciate all the info

LS1NOVA
06-16-2013, 04:00 PM
My car is really so I have have both. Not ALL drop spindles are bad.

wadem
06-17-2013, 05:57 AM
which spindles did you use?