PDA

View Full Version : 68 firebird subframe is possibly bent a bit..

68firebird
06-07-2013, 01:39 PM
So my question is, is it possible to straighten subframes? I was told its not possible and you just have to replace it. My car leans I the pass side, almost and inch difference in the rear, I have all new springs and I have loosened and bumped the car up and down many times. Even took it to my mechanic today to see if he could figure it out, he also thinks the frame is tweaked. Thanks

LeighP
06-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The dimensions for the frame are in the Fisher Body Manual for your year. Yes, the frame can be straighten by any shop that has a frame rack. Some places want the frame out of the car, others will place he car on the rack and pull it square.....thats had to do with rubber body mounts, though.

68firebird
06-08-2013, 04:23 PM
The dimensions for the frame are in the Fisher Body Manual for your year. Yes, the frame can be straighten by any shop that has a frame rack. Some places want the frame out of the car, others will place he car on the rack and pull it square.....thats had to do with rubber body mounts, though.

Thanks for the info. It's got solid body mounts in right now. Heading to a shop this week to see if it can be fixed.

Tom Welch
06-09-2013, 08:57 AM
My bird does this, a 65 malibu SS we are working on does this, also our 69 Nova, ALL of these cars have new suspensions in them, the 65 has a complete Hotckis TVS suspension, check the placement of the front coil springs, this can alter how the car sits if one of them is not seated properly. A friend of mine has a 73 T/A it was a frame on resto, it leans too.