PDA

View Full Version : Want to keep the Factory Radio

tonyvol
06-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Hey guys, I'm working on a 67 Camaro and I want to leave the factory radio in it's original spot. But I want to also install an aftermarket stereo system. I bought Screamin' Performance kick panels and will install an amp and sub in the trunk with 6X9's in the rear deck. What are some of my options in hiding an aftermarket stereo in the car? I have a Vintage Air so the glovebox is not an option.

Thanks,
Tony

andrewb70
06-04-2013, 05:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm working on a 67 Camaro and I want to leave the factory radio in it's original spot. But I want to also install an aftermarket stereo system. I bought Screamin' Performance kick panels and will install an amp and sub in the trunk with 6X9's in the rear deck. What are some of my options in hiding an aftermarket stereo in the car? I have a Vintage Air so the glovebox is not an option.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony,

The easiest way to do it is to use a iPod and hook it directly to your amp. Details here:

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?65584-iPod-connected-directly-to-an-amp

Andrew

dontlifttoshift
06-05-2013, 03:22 AM
That ^^^^ Plus if you want to be cool, gut your factory radio and you can use the knobs, buttons, etc as your power on/off, volume, and so on.

Krazed
06-05-2013, 04:34 AM
This is another option a lot of classic car guys go for. It can be placed anywhere as it has an RF Remote. (More expensive one) Or you can run a wire and use the little interface. Looks similar to the Air-Ride controller.

http://www.casmfg.com/Secretaudio.htm

andrewb70
06-05-2013, 05:15 AM
Another option is to use a Sony marine head unit. Some of them come with remote controls that can be mounted on the console. I've seen several DSE builds use that option.

Andrew

tonyvol
06-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys for the replies back. Have any of you used your IPAD or phone with the new BT technology? I was wondering how the sound quality is?

andrewb70
06-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys for the replies back. Have any of you used your IPAD or phone with the new BT technology? I was wondering how the sound quality is?

What's "BT technology?"

I use an iPhone 3Gs with the iStreamer DAC and it really make MP3s sound great.

Andrew

analyte
06-05-2013, 07:24 PM
BT = Bluetooth technology??

tonyvol
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Yeah, when I said BT... I meant Bluetooth. Sorry about the confusion.

andrewb70
06-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, when I said BT... I meant Bluetooth. Sorry about the confusion.

I am not aware of any "boxes," other than the typical head units, that have blue tooth capabilities. I can't say enough good things about the iStreamer. It really wakes up the output from "i" devices, whether they are used with a home stereo or in the car.

Andrew

tonyvol
06-07-2013, 07:17 AM
Hey Guys, do you know what these things are in the console of this DSE 69 Camaro?

andrewb70
06-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Hey Guys, do you know what these things are in the console of this DSE 69 Camaro?

That's the Sony system that I mentioned in my first post. I believe the remote units that get installed in the console are for a marine application, where the head unit might be located in one location and the remote control can be mounted on the bridge of a boat.

I believe the unit with the three knobs is the Vintage Air climate control panel.

Andrew

tonyvol
06-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Thanks Andrew, that looks like what I'm looking for.

Jasons68
06-07-2013, 04:30 PM
That's the Sony system that I mentioned in my first post. I believe the remote units that get installed in the console are for a marine application, where the head unit might be located in one location and the remote control can be mounted on the bridge of a boat.

I believe the unit with the three knobs is the Vintage Air climate control panel.

Andrew

I have been eyeballin the marine units for a while and feel they offer a useful service. I learned the hard way years ago that that locking the doors on my convertible to protect anything valuable inside only leads to replacing the top (after it gets slashed open) as well as the valuables inside.

Check out Clarion as well as they have some nice looking units. I am not an audiophile so I cant comment further on quality and I have never really heard of peoples experience with them as far as functionality but I would like to.

Be sure to post if you go this route and show us what you end up with

Jason

PT Sportwagon
06-08-2013, 09:12 PM
If you want the best sound I wouldn't go with a mp3 as it loses some sonic range. But it is a viable option.

Tim

scott_fx
09-04-2013, 11:21 PM
i have this bt receiver and the sound quality is top notch