PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave length?

1bad68cat
06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
Hello All,

Here is the current setup in my brother's 66 Mustang.

Heidt's Mustang II cross member - PN PX-320-E
Wilwood Pro Spindles 2" drop - PN 830-9807
Ridetech StrongArm Lower Control Arms - PN 19012899
Shockwaves, HQ Series - PN 21120305
Tire Size - 255/40-r17

Background:

I mocked up the Shockwaves to verify I had all the clearance I needed around it. I then proceeded and made pseudo shocks to hold the car up at ride height using the dimensions in the ride tech catalog. Herein lies the problem. At the 11" shock length, the car sits too low and the fender sits on top of the tire. I needed to install a 1" spacer on top of the pseudo shock stud to get to the ride height I was looking for. At the 11" shock length, the lower control arm is pointing ever so slightly up and with the 1" spacer, slightly pointing down, all when viewed from the front.

Questions:

How is the Shockwave ride length measured for stud types? My assumption is from the center of the lower bearing to the top of the lower delrin bushing on the shock stud. Is my assumption correct?
Since I cannot deviate much in shock length, is there a longer shock stud mount available that can be swapped out to get the extra 1"? Putting a spacer underneath the mount is not really an option because there would not be enough thread engagement at the top.
Is there an issue with my conglomeration of parts above other than it being Mustang II based? I'd rather not get into how we got to this point as it is a long story.
Swapping parts (more money, at least expensive ones anyway) isn't really an option right now as my brother has a newborn on the way and we're trying to finish the car before then (~2 months). Are there any suggestions getting the extra 1" in shock length I need that I may have missed?

Thanks in advance.

Robert

onair
06-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Robert,

You are correct with the measurement locations. Usually the Mustang II style front end you are using uses the Shockwave that you have. We do have some stud top options for that Shockwave. The one you have is the shortest 2" tall unit. We also have 2 3/4", and 3 3/4" stud tops available for the Shockwave. Send me an email to [email protected] or give me a call here at the shop 812-481-4742 and we will see what we can work out on them.

Rodney

1bad68cat
06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks Rodney for the quick response. I'll have my brother give you a call at the shop.

Robert