PDA

View Full Version : Road Course @ Thompson Speedway in 2014 (MA/RI/CT) pay attention

Buryingthesun
05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
So there has been talk of a road course at Thompson Speedway in Thompson CT.

I found a picture of the proposed track

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Below was the old road course from back in the day

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&ie=UTF8&t=h&msa=0&ll=41.980358,-71.826682&spn=0.008869,0.015557&z=16&om=1&msid=108922789455584958934.00043d7f6e12fb81b872f

more information:
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/releases/NEW%20ERA%20ON%20TAP%20AT%20THOMPSON.htm

68sixspeed
06-01-2013, 07:07 PM
That would be very cool, thanks for posting! Dan

XLexusTech
06-02-2013, 03:10 AM
That would make me very happy!

Buryingthesun
06-02-2013, 01:08 PM
I live 15min away from the track. . . So I cant wait for it to open, I need this in my life lol

'71cutlasluvr
06-05-2013, 05:59 PM
I'm about 30 minutes from the track. I heard about this a couple of months ago from a friend. I now have new motivation to get my autocrosser project back on track.

Hope to see you there Buryingthesun. But I'm a long way from completion. Maybe by 2015? :fingersx:

:cheers:

ekmxryda
11-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Wow I need to hurry up and get my car finished! That looks like a fun track.
Thanks for posting.

'71cutlasluvr
11-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Your welcome Eric. Change in plans for me... my cutlass is a long way from completion and will also be in an odd class due to engine size and not being factory stock. After connecting with C.A.R.T., decided to find a dedicated autocross/street car I can use at the track while building up my cutlass for road course track days. I was lucky to find a club member was moving and selling his CSP miata, with trailer (pull behind the miata with track tires, tools, etc), traqmate, sony hd camera, the whole shabang, for a great price (daughter getting married in may.. $ ouch) so I can now learn how to autocross and enjoy the new facilities while I take my time and build the cutlass right. I'm still a 442 muscle car fan at heart, but this is a great way for me to get into the sport now.
btw: Got my SPC upper a-arms from SC&C. AFX spindles should be arriving soon. I attached a rough draft of my rendering for the cutlass for your viewing enjoyment. :look:

Will continue the build in the spring on the 442 but lots to do on the miata... install posi unit (lsd in miata speak) swap race seats that fit me, etc. The car is turnkey autocross and track ready so not really that much to do. Just some personalization (spoiler is OEM . I consider myself very lucky for the find.

I have requested numbers 44, 42 or 442 for obvious reasons even though they will be on the Miata. I will be in the CSP class. Attached a couple of pics after I detailed my new baby with the top off and on. Note the camera and traqmate.

Hope to see you there... introduce yourself. Hope you have your GTO done in time. I heard at the CART club meeting that Thompson will have the autocross/skid pad done by April and will be starting events then!! :yeah:

chevnut55
11-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I saw the construction and layout last month at the swap and sell, it looks great.
They are putting tons of money and work into the project.
Its what this part of the country needs, only 2 problems for me, I sold my 72 Camaro because I never got to use it on a track and I will be living in fl. by the time its open.

'71cutlasluvr
11-24-2013, 08:56 AM
I saw the construction and layout last month at the swap and sell, it looks great.
They are putting tons of money and work into the project.
Its what this part of the country needs, only 2 problems for me, I sold my 72 Camaro because I never got to use it on a track and I will be living in fl. by the time its open.

Glad to hear you saw the progress first hand. :cool: Sorry to hear you won't be around to enjoy it. :guilty: At least you won't be hurting your back shoveling that sunshine down in Sunny Florida. :yeah:

ekmxryda
11-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Hey Gus,
That Miata looks like it is set up well, should be fun! Good way to get rack time too. Wish I had saved my Dad's Porsche 914 SCCA track car that he wanted to give me, I just had no room for it.:hammer:
Will stop by and say hi at the track next year.
Love the rendering too, I have been following your build, lookin good!

'71cutlasluvr
11-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Hey Gus,
That Miata looks like it is set up well, should be fun! Good way to get rack time too. Wish I had saved my Dad's Porsche 914 SCCA track car that he wanted to give me, I just had no room for it.:hammer:
Will stop by and say hi at the track next year.
Love the rendering too, I have been following your build, lookin good!

Bummer on your Dad's Porsche 914. What a hoot that would have been, and free? Sheesh! But hey, look around for a Miata... they're out there. I was lucky though, this thing is turn key, just had to buff her up and do some basic maintenance, plus some personal touches, but that's it. Maybe a torsen LSD, (mazda's version of a posi) this winter, but the car isn't powerful enough to really utilize it.

My artist, Kris Horton has been busy and left me out in the cold the last month or so, with my blessings, since he had a major project for Ford to get ready for the Sema event, but he's back on the job and sent me the latest rendering... much closer to what I'm looking for but we have a lot of tweaking.

Project is slowing down, mainly for lack of space due to parking two cutlass', a Mahindra tractor and misc rotisserie parts and tools in the detached garage. Not enough room to keep the body of the hardtop off the frame to do the frame mods. I have two bays left in the attached garage, the MX gets one, the other is for my company car... too darn cold to leave her outside. brrrrr!

I plan on doing some powder coating of the MX's valve cover and some brackets so putting up new lighting in the old garage so I can see what I'm doing. T5 high output bulbs. Man these things are BRIGHT! And can start at =20 degrees F. But it has to warm up more than this. 40's is about all I can take for powder coating. Can't stay in the garage due to the fumes. Nasty. Even with a respirator, you can smell it so I hightail it into the attached garage.

I look forward to meeting you at Thompson Eric. I joined CART and at the meeting where they voted me in, I hear they are starting autocross events as early as April! Whoo hooo! I may not make it until May since I have scheduled training during some of April in NC, but May is open, except for my daughters wedding day, May 24th.

btw: Any pics of your project available??
See you at the track!

:cheers:85941

ekmxryda
11-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Hi Gus,
I have the same problem in my garage, never enough space! I built it as big as I could for our lot size but there is never enough room when you are doing this kind of work. I have a Sprinter van in my front bay that I am almost done converting into a moto hauler (oldest daughter and I race motocross once in a while) not so much now that she is in college so I should sell it to free up needed space.
Just picked up a nice supplied air respirator that might work well for the powdercoating. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TO1IDY/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1#productDetails
Love the new rendering, it looks mean! It is cool hearing from other A-body guys doing similar builds.
Here is my build, still have a LONG way to go.
https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/94970-69-GTO-Build

Buryingthesun
01-02-2014, 06:17 PM
The tracks done, garages are built. . . Best news is a friend will be working there ;)

Buryingthesun
04-01-2014, 02:48 AM
UPDATES!!!

Went to the track a few weeks ago to do some laps, here is the blog we have written up on it.

http://sohondagarage.blogspot.com/2014/02/thompsonspeedway.html

lnirenberg
07-09-2014, 06:08 PM
I have done 2 HPDE events there so far this season and it is a great addition to the area. It is very technically challenging with heavy braking, some very tight turns and a load of late apexes. The pavement is also very slick being new and all in all it's a hand full but lots of fun. Very impressed with track management. For those who might want to take a crack at it I've run several events with these guys--
http://www.northeasttrackdays.com/ntd/home.html

And I highly recommend them. The picture is of a friends 64 chevelle who went to Thompson with me a few weeks ago.

blacklab
07-10-2014, 05:34 AM
Hi Larry

Thanks for the pic of my car on tne track.
Great track, nice to have it in our back yard.

'71cutlasluvr
07-10-2014, 11:06 AM
I have done 2 HPDE events there so far this season and it is a great addition to the area. It is very technically challenging with heavy braking, some very tight turns and a load of late apexes. The pavement is also very slick being new and all in all it's a hand full but lots of fun. Very impressed with track management. For those who might want to take a crack at it I've run several events with these guys--
http://www.northeasttrackdays.com/ntd/home.html

And I highly recommend them. The picture is of a friends 64 chevelle who went to Thompson with me a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your input Larry. Our club only has one track day at TMP this year, not nearly enough for this anxious track day participant. It will be quite a while before my '71 olds cutlass 442 tribute PT project is done, but with one autox under my belt with my Miata, I need to try a track day soon! I will definitely connect with northeast track days.
Much appreciated.

lnirenberg
07-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Thank you for your input Larry. Our club only has one track day at TMP this year, not nearly enough for this anxious track day participant. It will be quite a while before my '71 olds cutlass 442 tribute PT project is done, but with one autox under my belt with my Miata, I need to try a track day soon! I will definitely connect with northeast track days.
Much appreciated.

also consider COM
http://www.comscc.org

and SCDA
http://www.scda1.com

both very good groups

Buryingthesun
07-14-2014, 02:35 AM
I'm glad to see there are a few of us out at Thompson! Hope to meet some of you guys in the future!

'71cutlasluvr
07-15-2014, 05:24 PM
I'm glad to see there are a few of us out at Thompson! Hope to meet some of you guys in the future!

Agreed! I am planning to make C.A.R.T.'s autocross at TMP July 27th. Hope to see you there!
Attached a pic of my car at my first autox July 18th so you'll know what I'm driving. Please feel free to introduce yourself!

lnirenberg
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
I will be at Thompson with scda on 8/6. Let's get out there boys and girls.

'71cutlasluvr
07-15-2014, 05:54 PM
I will be at Thompson with scda on 8/6. Let's get out there boys and girls.

Thanks for the invite Larry but that's a work day for me and I'm all out of vacation time until September. Perhaps I'll see you at our C.A.R.T. track day on September 7th? Got some new wheels and tires (read: wider and stickier) for that special occasion. Probably won't make me a better driver but hopefully the rear end won't come around as easily as she does with the Direza Z2's!

Enjoy your SCDA day! :yeah:

Buryingthesun
07-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Agreed! I am planning to make C.A.R.T.'s autocross at TMP July 27th. Hope to see you there!
Attached a pic of my car at my first autox July 18th so you'll know what I'm driving. Please feel free to introduce yourself!

WHERES YOUR REAL RACE CAR

lol j/k

Buryingthesun
07-16-2014, 07:58 AM
https://www.facebook.com/events/658798210881797/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Anyone going to this?

"New England Tuners Society (NETS) and NASANE return to Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park for a trackside car show and HPDE awesomeness!

Come out and meet your fellow NETS members as you enjoy full access to all the NASANE HPDE action on track.
Your admission to the car show gives you an ALL ACCESS PASS TO THOMPSON SPEEDWAY!

Heres how it works:

$15 admission per car to the car show, $10 per guest, and $5 per child. Each admission cost gives you an all access pass to Thompson Speedway during the HPDE and allows you to check out the track cars, watch the event trackside, and even check out the paddock and see live NASANE close up! It doesn't get any better than this.
We will also be having another raffle where you can win some awesome prizes!
Ratchet Head will also be grilling up some delicious BBQ food which is included in your admission cost.
SPACE IS LIMITED FOR THIS EVENT TO ONLY 250 ALL ACCESS PASSES, SO RSVP NOW!

The event itself goes from 10 AM-2 PM but you are allowed to stay on Thompson grounds with your wristband.
As always, we have basic ground rules for the events. Please use common sense- no car shenanigans, drugs/alcohol or loud music.

Spread the word and lets make this event HUGE! Don't miss out on an absolutely awesome experience, not in just the car show, but seeing your fellow NETS members with NASANE on track at this new local road course!

If you have any questions, please contact Ian Haan for more information."

'71cutlasluvr
07-16-2014, 10:17 AM
WHERES YOUR REAL RACE CAR

lol j/k

:lol: I'm afraid that's as good as it gets for me for the forseeable future... But "Mia" (named by my oldest daughter) is a ball to drive. You can either drive a fast car slow or a slow car fast in autocross. Right now, I'm doing the latter... When/If I finally get my 442 clone pt project done, I may give a few c5 'vettes a run for their money, but only if I can develop the proper skills.

Here's what my 442 should look like

... 468 cu in, 335 rear tires, posi, about 420hp/500 lb ft to the rear wheels, etc. Handling and suspension package from Mark at SC&C. But it's a slow build, so Mia is my fun ride right now.

So what do YOU drive my friend? The '67 Poncho firebird? Cool car I always liked the firebirds more than the camaro's.....I just found your build thread... maybe I can get some ideas for mine since I am soooo far away from completion... only up to frame narrowing and mini tub installation...
Hope to see you there the 27th.

btw: For my first autox at TMP, I placed :2nd: in novice. I'm pretty sure I'm not that great of a driver, so :worship: goes to my little MX.
And a big "Thanks" to Kevin Fitzmaurice who sold me the little screamer in the first place... All I need now is a truck and trailer (maybe even just a box trailer since my son in law has one) so I can go to events farther away and leave the race tires on all the time....:hmm:

Yeah, I'll keep dreamin'.... Still paying for my daughters May wedding. :hammer:

.:cheers:

'71cutlasluvr
07-16-2014, 10:22 AM
https://www.facebook.com/events/658798210881797/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Anyone going to this?

That looks interesting. It's so close to my home, how can I not go?? As long as work doesn't interfere, which seems to be the case lately.

Thanks for the heads up BTS.

:twothumbs

Buryingthesun
08-08-2014, 02:56 AM
August 23rd there is an event at TMSP if anyone wants to meet up!

lnirenberg
08-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Also 9/11 at Thompson with--
http://www.northeasttrackdays.com/ntd/registration.html
I have been to a few of their events and they are a nice group to drive with. I will likely be at this one

'71cutlasluvr
08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
August 23rd there is an event at TMSP if anyone wants to meet up!

Man I'd really like to but I'm on call that weekend and can't plan a darn thing. Next time? Any events in October? I have a weeks vacation time to use up and can't think of a better way to spend some of it than at one these events.

'71cutlasluvr
08-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Also 9/11 at Thompson with--
http://www.northeasttrackdays.com/ntd/registration.html
I have been to a few of their events and they are a nice group to drive with. I will likely be at this one

I'm on call that week too! But I got a co worker to swap the weekend so i can make the CART track day. I checked the schedule and don't see anything posted for October. Do they run events during that month??

:dunno:

lnirenberg
08-13-2014, 08:39 AM
9/17 with scda. Pic of Thompson 8/6 me in blue. Mea culpa but I got absolutely sick of trackside repairs with an older Vette plus wanted a warranty and the C7 was over a year away and several years and big $$ for a pro-touring was more than I can take. 2nd pic is of my tow vehicle so I'm not a complete Euro douchebag.

'71cutlasluvr
08-13-2014, 05:54 PM
Nice 'Vette Larry. Good choice! Lots of power, great handling. I look forward to watching you run.

I was getting ready to request the week of sept 8th off so I can make the thursday northeasttrack day event on the 11th, but the job that kicked me out of my scheduled vacation labor day week just got pushed back a week! So I missed the 11th and now have the labor day week off!..... Sheesh. I searched but can't find any sort of track day that week. Our club has a picnic the 6th and autocross event the 7th at tmp, which I will probably attend but would really REALLY like to do a weekday event during my vaca. Timing is everything...:banghead:

If anyone finds something that week in my area, please give me a heads up here.

Thanks.

:hail: