PDA

View Full Version : Nova subframe question

rumblee
09-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Im trying to figure out what to do with the front end of my 69 nova. How strong is the stock subframe? Does it need added welds, gussets, etc? Any major drawbacks to using the stock frame as opposed to a fabbed unit? Can steering geometry be massaged enough to provide good handling with the stocker?
Thanks

TitoJones
09-07-2004, 01:51 AM
The 69 Nova frame is the same as a 67-69 Fbody. All the great products that work on the first gen front suspension, work on your car too.

If you have the cash, I'd say go for the aftermarket clip.
If you have fab skills, go with the DSE coil over setup.
If you want a good handling chassis for minimal work, get Global stuff.
Do a search around the archives and read up on 1st gen Fbody mods, as they apply to your frame.
Tyler

Kenova
09-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Im trying to figure out what to do with the front end of my 69 nova. How strong is the stock subframe? Does it need added welds, gussets, etc? Any major drawbacks to using the stock frame as opposed to a fabbed unit? Can steering geometry be massaged enough to provide good handling with the stocker?
Thanks
I rewelded the entire subframe in my Nova. The original welds were nothing more than a pathetic, piss poor excuse for welding :barf: . It amazes me that these subframes have held together for all these years, especially the big block cars. :scared:. I put about 3 1/2 lbs of mig wire into mine. When (if) I get the Nova back on the road, I'll take it to a frame shop just to make sure the subframe is straight and properly located.
I did all this (reweld subframe and rebuilt suspension) about the same time the after market subframes began to appear :banghead: . If I were starting over right now, I'd probably go with the Wayne Due subframe. Just might anyways! :naughty:
Ken

rumblee
09-07-2004, 10:13 AM
ok, thanks for the insight. Now what if I could get the same kind of handling out of the factory subframe (with modification of course) as the wayne due setup at a fraction of the cost? Would the wayne due setup still be superior? I know its kinda comparing apples to oranges, but at this point I can either attempt to get some results with the stock subframe, or have to sell some organs to get the wayne due. At this point I would like to keep it on the cheap, but I hate to spend a ton of time and money on something that will only get marginal results when I couldve just spent a little more to get it right. Does anyone have good results using the stock subframe? My goal for this car is to design it to pull somewhere around .95g on a skidpad, but more would be better.

jakespeeds
09-07-2004, 11:25 AM
I have the 73 Nova and just ordered up the DSE coilover kit. I did a lot of research and almost bought the Martz front clip. If you don't have it buy the Pro-touring book and read it twice. I was amazed at how well written it was and how much information it had in it. It answered all my questions and gave me a couple of things too think about I had never considered. After really sitting down and thinking about what I was going to use the car for the orginal front clip made perfect sense too me but I have the tools and skills to install it myself. Get the book and make a point of thinking about what you will really do with the vehicle. I think you will be able to make the best choice after that.

Jake

rumblee
09-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Well if I had the money I would definitely pop for the WD subframe, but seeing as how I have a list over a page long of things I need to do to the car it wont happen for a long time. I think Im going to do the rollcage, subframe connectors, and either a truckarm or 3 link, and probably the DSE coilover setup. Once I get the car up on jacks again this week, I'll look at the subframe again and see where I can strengthen it. I also plan on doing some aero work on the car, and maybe a custom dash. Im just hoping it wont be too loose in the front end, I hate a car that pushes too much.