PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to strip body panels?

g-machine
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
Up to this point I planned on having my Camaro tub media blasted, but I have always wondered if there was a better way? It is a rust free car, no panels replaced and body work, and has primer over the factory paint. I purchased it like this, so I have no idea what the prep was prior to the primer coat, so I'd prefer it to be stripped.

Should I sand the paint off the body panels, then have the remaining paint (interior, floor pans, etc) media blasted? Is using a stripper to remove the paint a better choice?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
George

Schwartz Performance
05-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Depends on how much time you have! Aircraft stripper is great since there's pretty much no way to warp the surface. We have also had cars acid dipped, but there are some downsides to that too.. But at least there's not sand everywhere!

g-machine
05-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Thank you for your reply! I am originally from the Chicago burbs, moved here in 2006 for work. Sure wish I was still in the windy city, as I was still in drag car mode back then and the pro-touring scene has to be big there.

I'm thinking I'd like to give the aircraft stripper a chance, then have the rest removed by media blasting. It's too bad there is not an easier option when it comes to the interior and underside of the car.

ROBS6T8
05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
I stripped my entire car with either the aircraft stripper or used a Norton fiber wheel stripper bought at the local Home Depot. Didn't have to worry about gouging the metal with it.

chops101
05-29-2013, 08:40 AM
The quickest method, least amount of cleanup for me was razor blade on a long handle.

Motorcitydak
05-29-2013, 09:57 AM
I used a few of those 3m paint and rust stripping wheels. They are about $9 a piece and I stripped my car in about 3 days. I liked that it does not remove metal, just the coatings. Strips down to bare metal in no time and does not heat it at all. Makes a huge mess tho

Barrrf
05-29-2013, 11:22 AM
How about stripping fiberglass?

justin51986
05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
whats wrong with blasting? i own a mobile blasting business, and everyone is always pleased with my work..ive blasted 3 cars of my own and never had any problems. never warped a panel either. and i've blasted fiberglass bodies too!

minendrews68
06-03-2013, 06:13 PM
The only thing I don't like about blasting is that it gets the media in every nook and crannie imaginable. I've tried power washing, blowing out with compressed air, everything I can think of. While it was still on the rotisserie everytime I turned it upside down, more media came out. If I had it to do over I would have the body dipped, (if it wasn't too expensive.) I've also used aircraft stripper. That's nasty stuff, but it works. Messy too!.

Ripper
06-11-2013, 02:49 AM
I used a heat gun to warm the paint a little. After that you could scrape it off with a trowel
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/06/ADSCF8469600x450-1.jpg

It works great as long as it is large flat surfaces

TheJDMan
06-11-2013, 03:22 PM
How about soda blasting. I understand it is not as messy as sand.

srt1010
06-12-2013, 03:24 PM
I used Captain Lees Spra'-Strip (www.halonmarketing.com) it actually sprays on from a plastic bottle. So you don't have to brush on like most. It also activates almost instantly, you can literally wipe the paint off with a 3M scotch-brite pad. I did use a plastic putty knife on some. My paint was 17 years old. I also used the 3M stripper disk on the creases. I would recommend this stuff to anyone. It also says on the can that its safe to use on fiberglass.

sccacuda
06-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Up to this point I planned on having my Camaro tub media blasted, but I have always wondered if there was a better way? It is a rust free car, no panels replaced and body work, and has primer over the factory paint. I purchased it like this, so I have no idea what the prep was prior to the primer coat, so I'd prefer it to be stripped.

Should I sand the paint off the body panels, then have the remaining paint (interior, floor pans, etc) media blasted? Is using a stripper to remove the paint a better choice?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
George

Your close enough to MCR in WI to drop of your car. They tank strip and tank E coat. Doesn't get any better. They will also strip, let you pick it up and do any metal work, and then restrip and E coat.