PDA

View Full Version : which tranny cooler?

steve g
08-20-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm thinking of going with an aluminum univesal radiator without a built in tranny cooler. How large of separate cooler would I need to run if I don't use one that's built into the radiator with a 200-4R -- or should I go with a radiator with the tranny cooler in it as well?

myclone
08-20-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm thinking of going with an aluminum univesal radiator without a built in tranny cooler. How large of separate cooler would I need to run if I don't use one that's built into the radiator with a 200-4R -- or should I go with a radiator with the tranny cooler in it as well?

The biggest one you can fit/afford... Especially if youre going to flog the car at all.

If you mount the extra trans cooler in front of the radiator where it will get plenty of air flow from the cooling fan or when the vehicle is moving dont use the built in trans cooler. If you lack room to put a large cooler on the car or have to mount even a large cooler out of the air stream then use the built in cooler plumbed in series before the external cooler.

Unless you live where polar bears roam you cant realistically over cool and outmatic trans.