PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Engine

FoxGranadaChuck
08-20-2005, 04:18 AM
Gentlemen:

Once again, I am needing advice on a particular issue of my PT Cougar sedan buildup. The issue now is the engine.
I am torn between three basic routes. The first route, and the one to which I was firmly commited until just recently, was to get a FRPP GT-40X 5.0L crate motor. The reason for such an engine would be factory-type driveability and reliability, which would be important, being that I am planning on driving my beloved Cougar on the Hot Rod Power Tour. The drawbacks would be 1) a relatively steep initial cost and 2) (most importantly) its hypereutectic pistons, which would make nitrous or a blower in the future a no-no.
The second option would be a FRPP 347 stroker short block. This would have the nice beefy Sportsman block, forged pistons, and a steel crank. Even better is that this engine is balanced like a regular 302 (28 oz. offset, as opposed to the HO's 50 oz. offset). I would love the strength of this short block, but the main obstacle against this route is fuel economy. I don't want an absolute gas hog, especially if I am driving on Power Tour. The 347 stroker motor with a 90hp hit of nitrous would be REALLY sweet, though!
The last option would be to obtain a 5.0L HO short block from a chain store and build it up from there. I would be adding my own heads, intake, etc. And with forged pistons, I would be able to use either nitrous or a blower in the future. The only drawback (?) would be that I would be spending more on the chainstore shortblock than I would on the FRPP GT-40X crate motor.
What say you guys?!

bnickel
08-20-2005, 07:13 AM
i'd say go with the gt40 crate motor, it's high for sure but if you can afford to spend that much it will be well worth it. personally i prefer to build my own engines but not everyone wants to or can build their own. it really sounds to me like you fall in the category not wanting to build your own. have you considered a good used low mileage 87-93 5.0 ho? they had forged pistons from the factory and if you can find one with low enough miles it may only need rings, bearings, gaskets and seals. if the cylinder walls have less than .005 wear you shouldn't have a problem using the factory piston at all, just do a good hone on the cylinders and all is goldeen.

Lowend
08-20-2005, 07:58 AM
I would reccomend staying away from Ford factory crate 302's. Unless something has changed recently those come with Cast connecting rods, which is a major weak link.

The 347 is a cool combo, but as time goes on people are reporting problems with blown rings and damaged piston skirts. Apparently the stroke is too long for the 302 block and the piston is rocking pretty violently at the bottom of the stroke.
Most people who are "in the know" are building 331cid motors now. Slightly less stroke buys a lot of durability.

If you can deal with some extra deck height the 392cid windsor (based off the 351W) is an absolutely brutal combo

FoxGranadaChuck
08-20-2005, 08:24 AM
i'd say go with the gt40 crate motor, it's high for sure but if you can afford to spend that much it will be well worth it. personally i prefer to build my own engines but not everyone wants to or can build their own. it really sounds to me like you fall in the category not wanting to build your own. have you considered a good used low mileage 87-93 5.0 ho? they had forged pistons from the factory and if you can find one with low enough miles it may only need rings, bearings, gaskets and seals. if the cylinder walls have less than .005 wear you shouldn't have a problem using the factory piston at all, just do a good hone on the cylinders and all is goldeen.

That would be yet another possibility. The only problem is that such animals are relatively rare, and where I live, one would pay almost as much for a low-mileage 5.0L as they would for a rebuilt chainstore long block. Why?! Because 5.0Ls were raced so much by teenagers.

I wouldn't be afraid to build my own, and I would if I have to. A major advantage to option #3 is that I would get some experience in actual motor building. This would indeed be a new experience to which I would look forward.