PDA

View Full Version : Blow through supercharging

Damn True
08-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Just got done reading the article in Hot-Rod about blow through systems.

While it is true that it is a more cost effective alternative to EFI and a supercharger (minus the cost differential between a stock and modified carb) it seems that it presents as many, if not more potential problems in regard to fuel delivery, boost control, timing control, ignition etc.

Please enlighten me.

Martin71RS
08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
do some reading here...
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/

that should give all the info you need...
Martin

WELTERRACER
08-20-2005, 06:24 AM
you have to be a genius to figure out how to setup an EFI system... MOst people take there car somewhere to tune it..

Fuelie Fan
08-20-2005, 07:36 AM
you have to be a genius to figure out how to setup an EFI system... MOst people take there car somewhere to tune it..

I don't think that's entirely true. There are many different systems available, some geared towards beginners and some geared towards more advanced people. Everyone in the business is improving their ecu's, plus there's a wealth of information available now. EFI is nowhere near as difficult as it was 5 years ago. Yes, there are some very complicated systems, and no i probably wouldn't make a supercharged car my first EFI project...but would you make a supercharged carb'd car your first project if you've never tuned a carb before? Of course not!

WELTERRACER
08-20-2005, 08:11 AM
I don't think that's entirely true. There are many different systems available, some geared towards beginners and some geared towards more advanced people. Everyone in the business is improving their ecu's, plus there's a wealth of information available now. EFI is nowhere near as difficult as it was 5 years ago. Yes, there are some very complicated systems, and no i probably wouldn't make a supercharged car my first EFI project...but would you make a supercharged carb'd car your first project if you've never tuned a carb before? Of course not!

I agree 100%! If you cannot tune a carb you probobly wont be able to tune a EFI system.. It takes basic knoledge to do either..

Supra510
08-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Like was said above there are EFI systems that are quite complicated to set up, and others (like SDS) that are pretty simple. I have done both (carb and EFI) and there was no comparison, EFI is superior and for me, easier to tune. Sure, you need to make sure your fuel pump has a constant fuel source and all you sensors are wired correctly, but after that (with SDS) it's pushing buttons to tune it with the help of a wideband a/f meter. I went tuning today and if I wanted to lean out the mixture all I had to do was punch a few buttons from the drivers seat and my a/f ratio was changed across the board with no flat spots, driveability issues, or most importantly to me popping the hood and changing jets. If I have certain rpm that it goes lean, just dial in a little more fuel and you're finished.

I was reading on some thread about blow-thru carb guys having to spend several hundred dollars to have the carb modified after they purchased it. For that you can easily have your EFI professionally tuned. Up front costs with the EFI are higher, but to me I'd rather spend an extra 1k to have a system that I can tune with a few buttons, not a few wrenches (screwdrivers, whatever).

Anthony
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/674663

racer5C
08-28-2005, 07:37 PM
OK, no delete, Ill get it.

racer5C
08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Its my understanding (and hope) that full carb enclosure makes radical carb mods unnecessary. Aug 02 Car Craft "Import Killer" 780hp from 7.4 liters, sounded strait forward enough. I'm fixing to basically duplicate buildup with a 502 HO. They used a 454 HO. Am I assuming too much?