PDA

View Full Version : Shedding some excess pounds

harshman
08-19-2005, 03:52 PM
I can’t seem to find the thread about removing the ac/heater box in a first gen camaro. Secondly how do I remove the front inner fenders – meaning are they required for structural integrity for the outer fenders? My last toy, a jeep cj7, had the fenders cut out and a small portion was still intact. I just determined my baby is too fat and she’s going on a diet.

derekf
08-19-2005, 04:17 PM
You're just thinking to remove the box and close up the firewall , or go with the American Graffiti heater thing? Which part were you questioning?

I believe (and it's just a belief) that removing the inner fenders on a first gen is OK but you'd want to brace the bottom of the fenders, and you'd likely have all sorts of road grime all over your engine compartment as well as the possibility of kicking up rocks into the underside of your hood. For my money, I'd look at pulling other things first; the inner fenders don't weigh all that much.. but what do I know?

harshman
08-19-2005, 04:38 PM
The whole thing. No heater and no ac. I’ll carry a jacket if needs be – besides the stupid thing never worked.

The fenders I want removed for accessibility, tire clearance and lightening. I have Nitto 555R on all fours and so there won’t rain driving for me - and rocks and things are not too much of a worry as I really no longer care so deeply about the paint. I got the racing bug and it needs to be scratched…..I think or something.

Thanks for moving the thread. I had no idea where to put it.

derekf
08-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I didn't move the thread but I'll accept the thanks anyway. :)

If you're removing the box on the firewall, just put a plate in its place - DS&E has a nice one, and I believe others do as well or you could even just pop-rivet a sheet of aluminum in its place. Just bypass the heater hose outlets on the engine, and remove the box on both sides and seal it up - pull out the controls, the vents, and the wiring from the engine compartment. I know on my Camino there's a vent-flapper-thing in the cowl over the box that weighed a pound or so; it could come off. Don't forget to plug any vacuum lines that are going to the AC controls.

As for the inners, I believe we've got several members who don't have them. I'd probably add some extra bracing to the bottom front of the fenders. If your battery is not trunk mounted, you'd need to figure out something if the stock battery location is attached to an inner fender.

CAMAROBOY69
08-22-2005, 03:59 AM
I have been driving this 69 Camaro for 3 years without inner fenderwells and I mean even in 2 days straight of rain. It wont hurt anything to remove them. As for the heater it is not that hard to remove and will shed quite a bit of weight. I think mabey 6-8 bolts. I believe most of the nuts or bolts are in the engine compartment. I actually have to replace my heater core because it just went bad at Woodward this weekend.
My battery is in the trunk.