PDA

View Full Version : ls1 oil pan mod

Mark Smith
08-19-2005, 02:48 PM
has anyone ever modified the stock pan themselves to fit in a first gen camaro with the stock steering set up? also have not pulled pan off so dont know yet if oil pick up tube will also need adjusted.

chicane67
08-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Yes the oil pan mod is a pain...... but there is new hope for those going with an LSx engine package. The pick up does have to be slightly massaged to fit the pan modification, but not a big deal...... its the time involved to get something that isnt designed to fit that chassis that really is the pain.

We (at ATS) will be releasing our LSx, chassis specific oil pan very shortly and for the money, you cant beat it...... not to mention all the other little goodies built into the pan. We have incoorporated oil return holes for TT set-ups, an oil temp bung and -10AN constant radius oil tubes for use with a filter relocation. It also has a windage tray and a four door internal sump for oil control.

So, if you have a little time..... we will have pictures and pricing here shortly.

CarlC
08-19-2005, 04:17 PM
So, if you have a little time..... we will have pictures and pricing here shortly.

Tease!

Kenova
08-19-2005, 07:21 PM
Whoops! Double post :slap: - see below.
Ken

Kenova
08-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Yes the oil pan mod is a pain...... but there is new hope for those going with an LSx engine package. The pick up does have to be slightly massaged to fit the pan modification, but not a big deal...... its the time involved to get something that isnt designed to fit that chassis that really is the pain.

We (at ATS) will be releasing our LSx, chassis specific oil pan very shortly and for the money, you cant beat it...... not to mention all the other little goodies built into the pan. We have incoorporated oil return hole for TT set-ups, an oil temp bung and -10AN constant radius oil tubes for use with a filter relocation. It also has a windage tray and a four door internal sump for oil control.

:cool: Nice to see you fellas are keepin' busy! :wrc: What else do you have in the pipeline that you can tease us with? :drool:
Ken

chicane67
08-19-2005, 08:33 PM
Tease!

Well....... I cant do anything until I sell you one first. Ya know how it is Carl.

paul67
08-20-2005, 12:39 AM
What oil pan modification has to be done to fit in a 1st gen.
paul67

chicane67
08-20-2005, 09:29 PM
The Vette pan would be a nitemare to even consider, so it isnt a real factor in my explaination. But in concern to the F-body pan that is the item in question, the sump is just too darn long and it will not fit the stock subframe and clear the steering components.

What has to be done to the stock F-body pan, is that forward part of the sump has to be notched to fit. The notch itself is pretty big and the finished product isnt really all that 'clean' looking. Meaning, it just looks hacked unless its finished machined...... but then there is the cost of doing that too. There is also the possibility/necessary modification of the pick up tube to fit the modified floor of the pan as well. I have seen two seperate modified pans that one requires a pick up mod and the other one didnt...... but it promoted some oil control issues that I didnt like.

What else do you have in the pipeline that you can tease us with?

Something like......... ABS and traction control ? Or like the words..... second gen ?

Bill Howell
08-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Mark,
I have just went thru this with the Pontiac. Even though it is not a first gen camaro, it still needed modifing. My 6.0 has the truck pan, so no way we were going to try to modify it. I was going to have to buy a new or used pan anyway then have mods made. After several phone calls and much apprehension, I decided to go with Street and Performance. They will modify a new one they have in stock or modify yours or do an exchange. They pretty much work with you and your situation. They charged me for a pan and pick up kit plus $210 for the modifications required for my application. This of course is a fit with their mount kit and header kit for early year A-bodys. I was very impressed with the quality of work and how quick they were able to get me the part. If you think about it, $210 is not a bad price for time and materials. If your time is worth anything at all to you, they are hard to beat.
Give them a call and tell them I told you to call!

SatisTraction
08-21-2005, 12:37 PM

We (at ATS) will be releasing our LSx, chassis specific oil pan very shortly and for the money, you cant beat it...... not to mention all the other little goodies built into the pan. We have incoorporated oil return holes for TT set-ups, an oil temp bung and -10AN constant radius oil tubes for use with a filter relocation. It also has a windage tray and a four door internal sump for oil control.

cant wait!!!! this is one part of my project that i have been putting off :(

derekf
08-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Is it not realistic to modify the crossmember instead of the pan? I know I've got to notch mine anyway to clear the AC compressor; if I've got to take a little off the back to clear the pan I might as well do it while I'm at it...

chicane67
08-21-2005, 07:29 PM
Well.... notching the K-member weakens it..... somewhat.

And.... I wasnt going to say this, but, I think you might see a new accessory bracket and pully system to move the AC compressor forward so that you dont have to modify the K-member to make it all fit.

But I am not saying anything.....

MrQuick
08-21-2005, 07:40 PM
man Tom, do you have a hole in your pocket or what?? LOL

SatisTraction
08-22-2005, 05:05 AM
Is it not realistic to modify the crossmember instead of the pan? I know I've got to notch mine anyway to clear the AC compressor; if I've got to take a little off the back to clear the pan I might as well do it while I'm at it...

if you run a front rack and pinion i do not think you will have to mod the pan if you run S&P style mounts. it is all a toss up.

I am running S&P style mounts, modified LS1 headers, 91 2.25 "Z" steering box, and plan to mod my pan to clear the drag link. There are options out there for the ac compressor but to be honest right now notching the frame looks best. One company mounts it up high on the passenger side but even will all the chrome and bling bling, it still looks like crap.

If this new bracket mentioned just moves the compressor forward then it would be GREAT!! what style engine mount is it made for?

derekf
08-22-2005, 05:18 AM
if you run a front rack and pinion i do not think you will have to mod the pan if you run S&P style mounts. it is all a toss up.

A-bodies are already front-steer :)

I need to just do a test-fit to see how much it overlaps (unless someone already has info/pics?)

SatisTraction
08-22-2005, 06:55 AM
LOL, i was thinking camaro

chicane67
08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
man Tom, do you have a hole in your pocket or what?? LOL

No..... although, I wish it was full of enough moola so that it didnt all fall out.

How about another teaser ????

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

What style engine mount is it made for?

Standard GM. Our kits include your choice of Poly or standard rubber.

harshman
08-22-2005, 07:31 PM
all i gots to say is you sob!!! you sob... :crying:

i feel better now. So, when do you let us comminers get ahold of these?

SatisTraction
08-24-2005, 05:08 AM
chicane

I ment what style of conversion mount? The S7P set the engine back and the BRP set it forward. what style did you design your parts around?

chicane67
08-29-2005, 05:49 AM
chicane

I ment what style of conversion mount? The S7P set the engine back and the BRP set it forward. what style did you design your parts around?

Well..... it is slated to be a cast unit, like the OE mount, and it will move it forward. One thing to note is that it will most likely required the used of an aftermarket dampner (like the ATI unit) to facilitate a bolt on crank pulley. I am unfamiliar with the S7P and BRP stuff..... most of what I looking to accomplish requires a 'clean slate' product.

That is the only way to properly fit the unit on the engine accessory package, in my opinion. As we installed the engine on the spindle centerline, as the factory would have done.

TitoJones
09-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Satistraction-
Chicane looks a bit confused. Our engine mounts are more like an S&Pstyle, with slightly different positioning to make our pan work better.
He is speaking of our A/C compressor mount that would make it use the belt that all the other accessories use.
I think I have a teaser here too..

SatisTraction
09-15-2005, 01:48 AM
different as in more forward or back even more? that pan looks nice and the ac bracket sounds good too!!!
thanks
chris

chicane67
09-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Hello, my name is Tyler..... and I am confused.

If you read the post Doorknob, I am talking about the AC bracket, not the engine mounts...... and your the Boss ?? Geeze......... hooze thinking engine mounts here ??

Chris~ The AC mount moves the compressor forward. So there is not need or reason to modify the K-member at all. It will be a cast unit and will have an idler pulley and include a crank pulley..... but will require the use of an aftermarket dampner, specifically modeled off the ATI unit.

TitoJones
09-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Hello, my name is Tyler..... and I am confused.

If you read the post Doorknob, I am talking about the AC bracket, not the engine mounts...... and your the Boss ?? Geeze......... hooze thinking engine mounts here ??

Chris~ The AC mount moves the compressor forward. So there is not need or reason to modify the K-member at all. It will be a cast unit and will have an idler pulley and include a crank pulley..... but will require the use of an aftermarket dampner, specifically modeled off the ATI unit.

Let's review his post shall we?

chicane

Clearly he says S&P, but mistyped it by not hitting shift on the '7' key. BRP is another style of engine mount. I'm still really damn sure he was talking about the engine mounts, no compressor mounts. BRP moves the engine forward (and installs the 98+ rack and pinion from the F body) to make sure you can leave the stock style A/C mount.
S&P makes an aftermarket accessory system.

I am the boss because I'm right. Always.

Tyler

SatisTraction
09-18-2005, 04:14 PM
i looked at your engine mounts and they are designed like the S&P. if so then your oil pan and ac relocation will work for a TON of the conversions out there. can one of you two do me a favor and PM me the price on a t56 clutch master cylinder brakcet? I am using the LS1 booster and brake master cylinder along with the LS1 4 wheel disk in my 67. I need to be sure that it will fit.
thanks
chris

protour_chevelle
09-18-2005, 04:20 PM
You can always send a trial pair of engine mounts/tranny pan and see how well it fits up in my 72 Chevelle ;)

The oil pans look clean, and I like the oil lines(using the factory cooler ports)

-Matt

chicane67
09-18-2005, 04:30 PM
I am the boss because I'm right. Always.

Tyler

:lol:

Lets review your life, shall we ??

Look you flippin clown puncher, you put a nice fat dent in my car....... cuz your narrow @ss couldnt stop anything from moving forward or rearward. How do you think I am gonna take anything you have to say if you dont understand the movement of anything from any location ??

:drive2:

Fayag

TitoJones
09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Chris-
The T56 firewall bracket is $75 plus shipping, and is powder coated black.

Tyler

SatisTraction
09-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Chris-
The T56 firewall bracket is $75 plus shipping, and is powder coated black.

Tyler

so what else will i need to make the combo work?
thanks
chris

TitoJones
09-18-2005, 06:29 PM
For which? The T56 install or the LS1 brake install?

Tyler

SatisTraction
09-19-2005, 04:49 AM
i guess both. i have a 67 standard pedal assembly and the 99ls1 pedal set up. i am using the ls1 booster/master and clutch master.

TitoJones
09-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Don't know on the booster, but on the T56 stuff, we mod the master pushrod to bolt right to the factory 1st gen pedals.

Tyler

CUSTOMFAB
09-21-2005, 08:56 PM
SatisTraction,

Have you found a pan yet?I can get one out by mid next week.I do those for ARE on a regular basis

Bob

EOD Guy
07-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Hi, New to this forum. I want to do the LS1 conversion to my 67, Chicane67 How do I look at your Kit?

Thxs in advance

TitoJones
07-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi, New to this forum. I want to do the LS1 conversion to my 67, Chicane67 How do I look at your Kit?

Thxs in advance

www.t56kit.com