PDA

View Full Version : Quality, DAYCO vs GM parts?

Samckitt
05-08-2013, 12:23 PM
I recently purchased Holley's LS AC bracket for the SD5/SD7 compressor. I thought I had the right Vette pulleys for it. but the smooth idler pulley I have is not the right one. Holley's instruction says to use either GM 12564401 or DAYCO 89059. I called local GM dealership & the GM part will run me around $85, but the DAYCO part is at a local Advanced Auto will run less than $20. Quality that much different, or the GM Dealer just really proud of their parts?

andrewb70
05-08-2013, 01:03 PM
I bet they are all made by the same company and GM just marks it up way more, but I don't know that for a fact. What do you consider "quality" when talking about a pulley?

Andrew

BuzzKillian
05-08-2013, 03:11 PM
GM is REALLY proud of their parts. I have 8400 miles so far on a $20 pulley. That includes running 4 events, 2 on road courses.

If you're concerned about it... buy 2 and you're still $45 ahead.

Samckitt
05-09-2013, 05:38 AM
The pulley is steel with a bearing in the middle. Maybe the GM part has some better bearings, but really worth $65 difference. I bought the DAYCO one, & like Mike said, buy 2 & still $45 ahead. LOL

novaderrik
05-13-2013, 12:18 AM
the GM part is probably the exact same part as the $20 part... GM assembles cars- they don't make parts.

Hambone!
05-13-2013, 05:36 PM
As far as hard parts, you're probably just fine, but I have found it to be quite different in rubber parts. For Christ's sake, don't buy the Advance "Drive Rite" bull**** belts or hoses. EVER! I've made that mistake for the last f'n time. Always pick a Dayco or Gates branded rubber part given the chance. No idea who makes the Drive Rites, but they are time bombs. Also, be very careful with whatever Advance carries for bulk heater hose. It's PERFORATED! There are regularly spaced dimples along its length, some of which go through to the inner layer! After this discovery, I found out the rest of the store's inventory was the same. Really sucks ya can't get quality parts at most places anymore. The dealer just bends you over, and most stores just cheat you. Kind of off the original comparison, just a heads up... I'll go away now.

EFI69Cam
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Many of the common GM service parts will come up as AC Delco either with the same GM part # or can be cross referenced on Delco's site.

The 12564401 for instance comes up on a popular online retailer that starts with an a for $43.75.

As long as the Dayco is not made of Chineseum like many of the Dorman parts it should be OK.

MonzaRacer
05-16-2013, 12:36 AM
Most of the over the counter makers of parts are actually building the GM/Ford/Chryco parts. ALSO remember they may MAKE the GM part its to GM spec, ie GM cost. THEN they may reinvent the idler pulley, tensioner, widget to make MORE profit from less production cost.
Also you guys may ridicule Dorman parts built in China or off shore accounts but lets put it this way,,,if they were not there in the pipe line the replacement costs on aftermarket parts would be MUCH higher,,,and honestly the reason for china built parts are people no willing to fund a non educated assembly line workers 401k, Cadillac health plan, union dues, AND inability to understand that 10 minute coffee break MEANS 10 minutes.
I know a girl, now a college student in Bloomington, she worked 4 yrs in Chinese plant making parts, saw mw putting same parts she helped make on a car. Reason she can now go to school AND drive $80k Audi, is that job. She worked 2 /45 hr shifts a week saved 2/3 of her pay towards paying for college,,,,and of course the powers that be have made it advantageous for state ran colleges too give foreign students awesome deals AND they get benefits from their results.
I understand some parts dont measure up but hey WE as a culture promote this by purchasing them, with warranty.
Would most of us rather buy a Dana Partscraft (NAPA Chassis) part over corner chain store cheap part, sure. But the price difference is there and the quality.
Most people never know that specific Chinese produced race parts ar e made in old titanium forging plant, used to make parts for Chinese knock off of Migs. Talked to one of the engineers that helped retool it. WE do benefit but then US plants dont get jobs.
The specs for the parts were so over engineered they actually serve the purpose well, cheaply.
Me I intend to build an engine on cheap AND turbo it on Chinese knock offs, then later on try to upgrade to American based parts. I know my ideas will work, I just CANT afford $3500 for pair of turbos only. I dont intend to have $3500 in complete system.
Heck my Thermal Arc TIG welder was produced in China.
You can bash Chinese parts but for the most part I see them every day and the quality is still passable. As for Dorman, there are millions of cars able to still be driven with those cheaper parts and the parts do work.
Will they last like an American part for 15 yrs, probably not but average car in us IS owned 7.3 yrs avg. So if it last 4 or 5 the first 2 or 3 made it with stock parts.
Also dont forget a lot of top end parts are not American made. Too many Americans think they deserve $30 hr plus benefits for doing as little as possible. Watch it get much worse if they try to make minimum wage $10+ hr.
Minimum wage is for high school kids to figure out hard work makes calluses and sore muscles and maybe an engineering class might be better idea,,NOT Jim and Susie America to raise 5 kids on.
Just saying.