PDA

View Full Version : offest shackle question

70SSRS
08-19-2005, 09:26 AM
This past weekend I was at the Goodguys car show in Waukesha, WI. I stopped into the Detroit Speed booth and checked out some of their stuff. I was a bit confused by the offset shackles. I understand that the shackles will move the rear of the leaf springs inboard, but what about the front of the springs?

I really like Detroit Speed's products, but I own a 2nd gen Camaro. I am interested in installing some wide rear tires and thought about a mini tub. Just curious as to what the shackles will gain me.

rockdogz
08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
You're right that the offset shackles only buy you so much room - I used DSE's kit with my first gen, and they definitely allow you to run a bigger wheel/tire. Sure, moving the front of the leaf inbound would help too, but then that's not a bolt-on operation... I went with a 315 tire just because I was worried about getting the 335 to fit (plus the wheels were a lot more expensive in a 12" wide version) and I've got an inch or so of clearance with the leaf.

MrQuick
08-19-2005, 06:24 PM
On the first gens the leafs distance from each other is wider in the rear than the front. The offset shackles move the springs in around 1 5/8" in on each side.
On 2nd gens the leafs are almost parallel so you would have to move the front perches in also...almost an equal amount to work properly.
An alternative would be a rear link type suspension. A 345 would fit fine.

zman1969
09-01-2005, 12:51 PM
This past weekend I was at the Goodguys car show in Waukesha, WI. I stopped into the Detroit Speed booth and checked out some of their stuff. I was a bit confused by the offset shackles. I understand that the shackles will move the rear of the leaf springs inboard, but what about the front of the springs?

From what ive gathered when the 3 front bolts are losened the rear of the spring will move over for more tire clearance - just retighen the front bolts - this move makes the springs more "paralell"