PDA

View Full Version : Waterford Hills Road Racing, Inc.

astroracer
08-19-2005, 08:26 AM
http://www.waterfordhills.com/05otdflyer.pdf
Anyone in the Detroit area familiar with this place? There is an open track day on Sept. 10th I am thinking about doing with the truck. $100 bucks to pre-register and you have all day to play. Any input or advice?
Mark

c.schulz
08-19-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey Mark,
The track I know of but no experience.What I have been told is that it very tight and technical.Not a very fast track but is tons of fun.Go for it man!
By the word "truck" do you mean the Astro Van?? If so I may have to swing by to watch this!!!!!!!!

Chris

astroracer
08-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Thanks Chris,
That's what I've heard also so it should be a good test.
"BAD AST" is a long way from doing an open track day.
My "Truck" is just that... A truck...
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/08/74avatar_onmis_2-1.jpg
A '95 GMC Sierra that I have dropped and done the poly bushing thing too. It handles okay but I have never had it on a track where I can stretch it's legs to try it out. I am just curious as to how it would do and, for a 100 bucks, I think it would be a lot of fun!
I have been talking to the open track coordinator at Waterford Hills and he says to bring it out. As long as it meets the equipment regulations he says I'll be fine. I think this is a must do kinda thing so I'll keep you in the loop.
Mark

JMarsa
08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Mark,

I've been there. It's small and tight like Chris said. The kind of track small open wheel cars like. It's located at the Oakland County Sprtman Club complex (II use that term lightly). It's a weird place for Oakland. You can shoot guns, bows and race cars all in the middle of a neighborhood! There's a pic of the track on the main website. Average speeds for real race cars here are in the 60 MPH range.

--JMarsa

astroracer
08-26-2005, 02:15 AM
Thanks J,
I have talked to a few other people about this and I don't think it would be a good track to test my "hay wagon" on. My concern is predominantly in the power steering area and I would be worried about cooking the P/S pump on a short twisty course like that. The truck is big and heavy and I know it will take a lot to get it around the track in a respectable time. It doesn't take long to boil the fluid when you are pushing the stock pump so I think I will pass. I have an Astro to build so I don't need to be fixing something else if there is no need too.
Thanks for the info guys.
Mark (poser wannabe)...

deadcarny
08-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Had a Neighbor that would take his late 2nd gen TA there. He seemed to enjoy it.....

BB69
08-31-2005, 05:55 AM
We raced our Neon at Waterford this year. The one thing nobody mentioned is the poor runoff areas. The track is surrouned by walls and tire barriers. There is little room to runoff, and the ground that is there is bumpy and soft. The end result for us was chopping off the roof and welding a new one on after the car rolled.

On the other hand, look for events at Gingerman. We rented the track earlier this year and had a great time. The runoff areas are huge and flat. It is a long drive from the Metro Detroit area, but well worth it.

Ken

DVRacer
10-21-2005, 02:58 AM
My 2 cents worth.

Waterford is a fun, very challenging track to drive on if you have an 'open session' type event. Basically a handling type course. But it can be very hard on brakes, especially if you have a large sedan or truck. Top speed on the back straightaway is probably only 100 -110 depending on the car.

But it is a grin to drive. Been there many times with our 2nd generation Trans Am Firebirds.

Dave,
Troy MI