PDA

View Full Version : 68 camaro fender extension welding

32deucecoupe
05-02-2013, 05:17 PM
How many have welded their fender extensions to the fender to create a one piece assembly. Did you cut the flanges off and butt weld? Just wouldn't want to create a stress point in the future for cracking. Anyone have pics? I do not plan to run a bumper and want to smooth the bumper bracket location out.

Tom Welch
05-03-2013, 06:30 AM
We did this on our 67 Firebird. Its a fairly easy process. we bolted the fender and extension together, got the parts aligned, welded them inside and outside, very slowly to minimize warping. Grind smooth on the outside, skim coat of filler, prime. We left the flange in place, the fender well bolts to part of it, plus its easier to get a good fit before welding not to mention the extra metal helps with warping too.

32deucecoupe
05-03-2013, 07:49 AM
That is what I was thinking but thought I'd better ask first. Do you have pictures of the finished product?

boostin05blacksti
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM
We did this on our 67 Firebird. Its a fairly easy process. we bolted the fender and extension together, got the parts aligned, welded them inside and outside, very slowly to minimize warping. Grind smooth on the outside, skim coat of filler, prime. We left the flange in place, the fender well bolts to part of it, plus its easier to get a good fit before welding not to mention the extra metal helps with warping too.

This is exactly what I did. Seam sealed the back after it was all done to try to keep any moisture at bay. Here is a picture..hence why my front fenders are a different shade..

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2013/04/0FA9432FBC814A90B75C6407E5E2EE4D78900000-1.jpg

32deucecoupe
05-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Looks great, really smooths out the look of the cars. Really like your wheels.