PDA

View Full Version : 5-point harness - Manufacturers

69lt4
08-19-2005, 05:54 AM
Is there any differences between harness manufacturers besides the logo and price? I understand options on mounting. Curious if there are other things to compare.

Thanks,
Kevin

paul67
08-22-2005, 02:19 AM
Also the release unit can make a big differance in price and belt width , if you are going to race, check what the sanction body recommends, or it could be nice belts cannot use them like a set i have.
paul67

sinned
08-22-2005, 04:21 AM
Also the release unit can make a big differance in price and belt width , if you are going to race, check what the sanction body recommends, or it could be nice belts cannot use them like a set i have.
paul67
I have never heard of any sanctioning body not allowing a particular belt based on width, release type, or brand as long they are SFI certified and up to date. Please post details of the 5-point harness you have that is not approved.

paul67
08-22-2005, 04:47 AM
NHRA require 3" min with quick release mine are only 2 1/2".
paul67

funcars
08-22-2005, 12:07 PM
Some other things to look for:

1) Some camlock mechanisms are different. Look at what you do to make it release. Also look at the materials
2) Webbing can be different. You can get lower stretch polyester or nylon these days.
3) Some manufacturers will re-web your harness and others won't.

Good luck

USAZR1
08-22-2005, 12:49 PM
What brands are you guys using? I've used Simpson stuff in my Econorail and Pro Stock Vega but that was more than a few years ago.
Had Simpson harnesses in my first ZR-1 with the camlock release and really liked those.

However,I haven't made up my mind whether to add a four or six point bar to my 69's interior. Not sure I really need one and they do make insuring the car more difficult,too. A guy I know that works at Nitrous Express builds racecar chassis' on the side and he's coming over to the shop Wed. to give me a cost estimate on doing a rollbar. If he can't get to it while I have the interior out,then I might blow the idea off as I don't want to tear it all out again,later. We're working on installing my new Arizen seats,at the moment. If I don't add a rollbar,the three-point harnesses from Morris Classics might be the way I go.

sinned
08-22-2005, 05:47 PM
NHRA require 3" min with quick release mine are only 2 1/2".
paul67
Hmmmm, I had 2" in my 442 and never had any trouble at the track, that was a deacde or so ago however.

I wonder how the factory 12 second cars are getting around that.