PDA

View Full Version : floor patch panel question

brownz
04-30-2013, 05:00 PM
I would like to know what most people do when installing a patch on a floor pan. Do you cut to fit and do a butt weld or do you overlap the new section over a portion of the good existing pan and do a spot weld?

Not sure what the best or correct way would be. I have only done the butt weld before

tommycomfort
04-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey Brandon, I've done both methods and prefer to overlap it and weld both sides. Butting it together just makes blowing through way to easy. My experience is also that seam sealer and lizard skin hide a multitude of sins... Good luck!

80proZ
04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
I have always butt welded mine.

brownz
05-01-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks Tom.

yeah I have always had the issue of blowing through with the butt weld on thin sheet metal. I will try the overlap on this one.

Rhino
05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
It seems that whatever is most difficult I'll end up doing because it seems like the "right" way. :) For a pan I end up butt welding it. I hate even knowing the lap weld is there.
The key to butt welding sheet with a mig, in my experience, has been a moderate amount of heat, pretty close gaps, and absolutely cleanliness. Any rust/dirt/oil really mucks with such a small tack and will ruin the appearance. If you're blowing through you've got it set too hot, or wire speed too low.

ARAD RS
05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Self taught myself to weld while working on my ride.
Patience and Understanding do it right.

But weld.

Rhino said it like it is.

32deucecoupe
05-02-2013, 10:15 AM
I looked at patches, but then thought how hard could it be to replace the whole floor. Definitely a lot of work so far..and someday soon it will be done.