PDA

View Full Version : Corvair Suspension Upgrades

DreamRyder1963
04-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and have decided to try to get help from the collective wisdom of this site. I am working with a 1963 Chevrolet Corvair which I am currently in the process of improving the handling on. I know that a Corvair is not a normal car for a pro-touring build but what can I say, I have always been attracted to the unusual :razz:. So far I have relocated the battery to the trunk, the spare wheel/tire is gone, I am running 15x7 aluminum MOMO wheels and I am in the process of installing LeVair Proformance disc brakes. I am trying to figure out what other, non-drastic, modifications I can do to improve the handling. I am not trying to build a all out race car or even a serious autoX car. What I am really looking for is a car that feels planted on a country backroad and something that can keep up with my import friends. What do you guys think? 75415

David Pozzi
04-29-2013, 09:36 PM
The old swing axle isn't as good as the 1965/up rear suspension, it has way more camber change. What you need to do is limit rear suspension lift during braking, & probably rear squat under power. With a high rear weight bias, when the rear does break loose in a corner, it will want to spin out with less warning than a front engine car. Stiffer springs & shocks all around will help.

DreamRyder1963
04-30-2013, 05:44 AM
One of my next upgrades is a set of limiting straps which help with the excessive camber. I am also thinking of using adjustable corvette or chevelle coilovers.