PDA

View Full Version : Second Generation Full Suspension Help Request...

Modern71
08-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Hi guys, first post on this board and I hope it to be the first of many...

First, a little backstory: I am building a 71 Camaro in the Summers of my College career. This isn't my first project car, however this is my first "Pro-Touring" project. I just finished the full GM body restoration and I hope to have the Interior finished before next semester starts in 2 weeks.

What I am looking for is a strong stiff suspension for a Triple Threat style car, designed around Road Race, Drag Strip, and True Daily Driver Street applications. I would also like to cut as much weight as possible without sacrificing strength. I have about 275hp at the rear wheels but the new mouse motor is in the garage and waiting on what i will decide to do with it, but the suspension will be the next major project.

I have looked for a 4Link kit for my car, but everything I find is generally First Generation. Can these or the new 3Link be modified to fit my 71? If so, how much modification to do you think it will take? I have decided to use a Moser 12Bolt Rear-end, and I could go with Composite Leafs, but I am looking for something a little better for bodyroll and applying power to the pavement. Geometry is where i truely need help because I am sure I can make it fit. If it comes down to it, I may just buy the Competition Engineering 4Link kit and modify it myself.

For the Front Suspension I am looking to go to a Rack and Pinion/coil-over/tubular A-Arm suspension. However finding/selecting a Rack has truely been a challenge because again most kits are designed around First Gen cars. Also I can find Tubular A-Arms in any CHP/SC magazine, but the lowers seem to be hard to come by. Is there a good recomendation for a rack that someone can make? And can someone recommend a good and economical Tubular/Coil-over Retailer?

I have done a search and went back a few months but havent found anything that is similar to my questions. Any help is appreciated and I hope to become a stable member of the board.

Mean 69
08-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Without trying to hype the release of our new suspension packages, I will say that we are in the final stages of developing a front and rear suspension setup for the second generation f-bodies (simultaneously working on derivitives for the first gen, by the way). In fact, we are building a pretty serious 70 Camaro to use both as a development vehicle, as well as the show piece to promote our new company (Lateral Dynamics, LLC). Our intention is to debut the offerings at SEMA, with commercial availability right around the same time (maybe a bit sooner, possibly a bit later too), which is basically the first week of November. We are working hard, and the results so far are looking really exceptional, I really couldn't be too much more pleased.

As I have stated previously, and wish to reinforce now, our products will not be for everyone. Function comes first, and our philosophy is to use the best practical components available. Two things result from this, one, our parts will not be the cheapest available. They will be fairly, and competitively priced. Two, in terms of VALUE, we feel very strongly that we won't be beat. When we show the specifics of the designs, the choice of materials, components, etc, we are certain that our customers will agree.

What I will disclose at this time is that the rear suspensions systems will be based on a 9" Ford differential, utilizing a three link trailing arm geometry. Front systems will allow very large tires while simultaneously having exceptional overall geometry (which we show data from), and will utilize a very rigid frame structure.

Stop by and see us at SEMA in booth #52425 if you are attending the show, otherwise stay tuned for specific product information on our website, which is currently under construction.

Thanks,
Mark

Modern71
08-19-2005, 06:50 PM
That sounds interesting, a 3link designed around the Second Gen sounds to me like the best thing since sliced bread. I wanted to design this car around the Hotchkis 71 that was built several years ago now. Except I wanted to take it to the next level as far as suspension and interior go.

My main concern is not modifying the trunk or floor pan to drastically, but instead to keep an interior with a 6-8 point cage that can still hold 4 people. The 4Link doesn't appear to be the best option for that, as I would have to cut large portions of the floorpan to make the brackets fit. However I may have found a more asthetically pleasing alternative if I have enough ground clearance.

I have looked around, and as I am not looking to buy the system yet I have not called AME. But the Tri4Bar system from Art Morrison Enterprises looks interesting. The major concern I have is being able to set preload on the rear tires, and I am not really sure that I can adjust that with the Tri4Bar Design. If someone has installed one in any car and can tell me how they tune thier rear suspension, please share the info.

The one thing I have a concern with on your post above Mark, is that you are designing your rear suspension around a 9inch instead of a 12bolt. While the Ford 9Inch is stronger straight from the factory, I think Mosers product will be just as strong as any nine inch on the market. I may be incorrect on that one, but im fairly certain it will stand up to my moderate 700 Ftlbs. of torque maximum, that i have set for myself. And being a die hard Chevy Guy, I think its a little like putting Star Destroyer parts on the Millenium Falcon. I would prefer not to do it.

All that aside, i must say I am still very interested in your products, and I have nearly 9 Months to decide. I will stay tuned, and any more info you are willing to share would be appreciated.

79TransAm
08-19-2005, 06:52 PM
let me know when you guys are almost complete. i got a 79 firebird that id like to build into a corner carver, nothing too serious, but i wanna be able to take it to the track every once and a while and have some fun. I'm interested in doing a airbag system. I'd like to be able to raise it for normal street driving and slam it when at the track.

cantstopit
08-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I believe means system WILL cut into the rear backseat probably more so than a four link, however I could be wrong, also I believe the 9 inch is used so you can use a floater and adjust the camber in the rear. Also a 9" is way easier to mount an upper link for the three link than a 12 bolt

79T/Aman
08-20-2005, 02:52 AM
I would not sweat the 9" part but if you must you can buy a center section that uses 12 bolt runing gear so if you use that in a fab housing you could honestly say that it's a 12 bolt, just mising the rear cover!

Mean 69
08-20-2005, 09:13 AM
One of the main design requirements of the system is that it WILL allow the use of a rear seat. That might not mean "the" rear seat, as the seat back on the second gen's will have to be modified to clear the additional tunnel clearance required for the upper link. The car we are building now is going to have a full interior (I have two kids), and will also have a full cage with removable side bars and back brace.

Ride height will be adjustable through the use of preload on the coil-overs.

The choice of using the 9" differential came about for several reasons, not just the ease of installing a centrally mounted pickup point on the top of the housing (which was a big part of the decision). We chose a center housing section that is very lightweight, yet extremely stong. Further, the 9" differential is very well supported by many aftermarket companies, in terms of offering high performance components. Although we recognize that most folks won't be doing this, swapping out the center section to facilitate a reasonably fast gear ratio change can be done at the track, which would be far more difficult with a 12 bolt or similar unit.

Mark

Modern71
08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Great info on the rear suspension, i will keep tuned in on your products Mark.

Meanwhile, any suggestions on a Rack for the Second Gen? I have all but decided to go with the Global West A-Arm package. But what about Coil-over springs? I hear good things about Bilstein, but im just basically looking for some good recommendations from people who have done this before. Looks like the AFX Spindles will only be for First Gen Camaro's, any other recommendations?

Also, while a 3 Link from Lateral Dynamics sounds great. Anyone got any more info on the Tri4Bar from AME? How is the Pre-Load Adjusted? Again any help is appreciated.

EDIT: Grammar of last sentance