PDA

View Full Version : Hello and intro to my 96 Nissan P'up 'project truck'

MarkG
04-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Hello all. I'm currently a student working on my MIG welder cert at a local college. I have a Hobart Handler 140 and drive a '96 Nissan pickup. It's not modified, but has become a bit of a 'project/test' truck for my newly acquired MIG welding skills and welder. First up was fabbing a new lower radiator support, which had rusted away.

Currently, working on a few patch panals for the bed. It's literally a 'test bed' for trying out some welding and bodywork things. It probably should just be replaced, but as long as I have it, I figured why not get some 'no-pressure' practice on it.

I bought an Eastwood Shrinker and Stretcher and have been experimenting with that with the goal of using it to fab up some rust repair panals. (pictured) I used a sandbag and hammer to do a little tweaking to the flatter portion and it worked very well! I'm learning as I go.75369753707537175372

rchaskin
04-28-2013, 06:38 PM
Go for it!!!

Dont be afraid to try.

welcome to the site.

MarkG
05-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Not welded yet! I got sidetracked into wire brushing/scrapping/ chipping of oodles of rust from the rearend! :S Then changed the fluid. This job enabled the purchase of yet another tool (finally!)-----a breaker bar! I'll give the rearend another going-over and wash it before Ospho-ing it next time I get a chance. And although the ride seems fine to me, I may throw some cheap, but new shocks on just because the old rusted ones will look out of place once it's cleaned up!

MarkG
05-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Worked on my rust removal project yesterday. Remember, this is my first time welding auto body sheet metal and first time I've used my shrinker/stretcher, and I know it's not perfect. The gap was bigger than it should have been and I was blowing holes, even with quick bursts on the trigger and staggering my tacks around the joint. . I need to work on that. The whole bed is in pretty bad shape, so I am using it as a stress-free place to try some things and practice. It has been coated with Ospho front and back. That said, here's yesterday's progress:

rchaskin
05-15-2013, 04:55 AM
not bad.

now you have done something that 95% of the population cannot do!!

MarkG
05-15-2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks! Looking at the pics, I realize now that the return bend in my patch is sharper than the factory wheel arch lip bend :S Not sure how I could match that. It looks like factory's is not bent as sharply. I was starting with a piece that already had a 90 and it's a little sharper. Also, you'll notice I didn't show any pics of the backside------I will be clipping and grinding a few porcupine quills before any coating goes on the back!

MarkG
06-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Since finishing this job, I realized why I was having trouble, besides the thin sheet metal. I didn't switch the polarity since I recently got a gas bottle!!! arrrrrrrgggggg!!!!!

In other news, I ordered a Belltech 3" drop kit (may not use the 3, may just do 2", we'll see) for the rear! I was wirebrushing, scraping, chipping, and washing, Ospho-ing the rearend in prep for paint anyway and noticed the shocks are about shot as well, and the U-bolts are in the way, so figured might as well do some other work and get some newer stuff (and U-bolts) under there. Just thought it would be nice to at least level it out. I'm not hauling heavy stuff. Also snapped a bump stop bolt. Are shorter bump stops available or do you just trim the stock ones? Any recommendations for shocks? Frankly, I'll probably just get the cheapest new 'big-name' ones I can find. This isn't and never will be an autocrosser.

T_Raven
06-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Since finishing this job, I realized why I was having trouble, besides the thin sheet metal. I didn't switch the polarity since I recently got a gas bottle!!! arrrrrrrgggggg!!!!!

I welded the quarter panel in my civic and the floor patch in my 69 without realizing the polarity was backwards because it came with flux core wire. No wonder I couldn't make a decent weld lol

MarkG
06-16-2013, 02:11 PM
hmmmmm...............I have a feeling this is turning into a project. I wire brushed, chipped, scraped and Osphoed the hugely-rusty, flaky, rear end, then cleaned, primed and painted it with black Rustoleum. I feel so much better now! I've got a Belltech lowering block kit on the way for the rear. After I ordered it, I found out that there is a lowering leaf spring set available for this truck. It's a lot more $$$, but it would keep everything tucked up out of the way, so now I'm not sure what to do------I guess the penny-pincher in me says to just use the blocks for now, and if they end up scrapping or just looking too obnoxious, maybe I'll get the springs sometime down the road and just use a small set of the blocks.

Now I'm looking at upgrading my front sway bar and bushings and possibly installing a rear bar.

On another note-----my truck has my sign company logo on it, which is why I haven't posted any pics. I don't want it to be construed as 'advertising'! I was thinking of going 'minimalist' and eliminating them all other than a small 'tagline' listing the facebook page.

(BTW----those previous pics of my patch panals were all welded on the WRONG POLARITY!! :S It was right after I bought a gas bottle and forgot to switch it. Yes, I was kicking myself)