PDA

View Full Version : Rust Converter HELP!

68BirdinOz
04-27-2013, 09:13 PM
I just rust converted the car which is bare metal The directions on this product said wash well with water. Dry ASAP. Then sand lighly with 120-180. I did and as I was drying it the metal changed colour to a bronzy sort of colour? Is this rust or is this part of the process? Should I now need to sand it back to silver metal?

68BirdinOz
04-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Yup its rust. Thought I would hit it with a bit of rust converter while waiting. Goes back to beautiful metal. Will convert the whole car, call the manufacturer on Monday and see what they say to do.

astroracer
04-28-2013, 10:47 AM
If you have nice clean metal you shouldn't need the rust convertor. The convertor needs "rust" to work... Get it to bare metal and use a self etching primer to protect it, then shoot on a good primer surfacer to do your blocking.
Mark

Jetfixr320
05-03-2013, 07:46 PM
The POR15 metal wash product does the same thing. I think its normal.

68BirdinOz
05-07-2013, 02:15 AM
Spoke to the manufacturer. He said wipe over the surface with a clean cloth lightly soaked in the rust converter and the follow up with wax and grease remover. Worked great. Sprayed self etching primer onto it immediately. Thanks guys.

RBEAST
05-11-2013, 08:20 PM
If you have nice clean metal you shouldn't need the rust convertor. The convertor needs "rust" to work... Get it to bare metal and use a self etching primer to protect it, then shoot on a good primer surfacer to do your blocking.
Markwhat he says

mitch_04
05-13-2013, 04:50 AM
I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I was wondering if any of you have tried to do an "acid wash" and then use epoxy primer. I was thinking of getting some acid, I believe it's phosphoric that is recommended, and wiping down bare metal with it.

Thoughts? I know I could just buy self-etching but I'm not near any paint stores and it's expensive to ship. When it's the weekend and I get a chance to do a little more work I like to :)

Plus, I'm just curious...

astroracer
05-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Metal Etch or Metal Ready are both acid based washes. They work well and are formulated to do their job. I don't think you want to use straight Phosphoric Acid though. That stuff is not good and I would really hate to see you spill it on ANYTHING, let alone trying to handle it to wipe down your car... Muriatic Acid is what I would recommend IF you want to do it this way. I would check with the primer manufacturer before hand to see if this is a recommended alternative. I doubt it would be. If you have clean, well sanded, grease free metal there is really no reason a good epoxy primer will not work well. A good self-etching primer is just a little insurance against delamination but it is not a necessary step. I will use self-etching primer on aluminum prior to primer and paint and, in that case, it works well for adhesion.
Mark

mitch_04
05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I could have sworn I read that muriatic acid would continue to eat metal where phospho would etch in and "dry out" before it did any damage. Sorry for the non-technical lingo, I'll see if I can find some info on where it was.

Skip Fix
06-12-2013, 07:14 PM
The Metal Ready products have phosphoric acid as well as zinc phosphate-some do dry with a slight bronze tint from the phosphate.