PDA

View Full Version : going new vs using 30yr old parts

BRIAN
08-18-2005, 06:46 PM
Just curious as to how many guys magnaflux ther old spindles or suspension parts? I see tons of so called new spindles out there, do you think they are of the same strength? Are they up to handling the load of a 245 super sticky tire? 600lb springs? 1/18th sway bars?

I am starting to accumulate parts and this is 1st car in a while where I am thinking of using orig suspension. It is 1st gen Bird. Problem I have is who knows what they have gone through? Normally not really a concern but like most guys I am putting some super large sticky tires and doing the usual mods. Anybody else concerned of overloading these parts? They were made for skinny bias ply tires which probably put no load on them. I am super safety conscious and usually over build.

Everybody wouldn't think of running say a certain rear because it supposedly won't handle the HP but what about the suspension load??

USAZR1
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
I hear what you're saying. My front spindles are the only stock parts in my entire suspension system. Everything else is heavy duty aftermarket stuff.

JLM
08-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Honestly I don't see it as a huge issue. If you feel strongly about it you can box the upper and lower control arms pretty easily.

I'm using stock suspension components in my bird and really don't have any worry about taxing them beyond the limit. Though I do have new spindles with the disk brakes.

indyjps
08-20-2005, 08:29 PM
i plan on magnafluxing my spindles and reinforcing the control arms if i decide to use the stock pieces.

yody
08-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Magnufluxing is a great idea, however there are tens of thousands of people running the stock spindles and control arms, to date i have never heard of any problems, however there are many problems of the mounts on the frame breaking off. If you plan on doing actual hardcore racing, you would definetly want to make sure they are 100% and either check them or go with heavy duty aftermarket stuff that has already been proven.

BRIAN
08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
Actually I have seen plenty of loose control arm bushings( actually GM manual shows to tack new shells in place). I have also seen loose lower ball joints and cracked lower arms. Spindle fatigue i not easily spotted. These parts have seen 30years of use. Funny guys won't re-use a set of rods in there motor but have no problem using old more heavily stressed suspension components that can seriously hurt them not just there wallet.
You also have to remember Pro Touring is fairly new. These parts were never meant to run a 245 sticky tire in front. That is a big difference to the straight line crown running the 195 BFG radial T/A'S.
Look at a lot of the builds posted. Tons of backyard engineering and pushing high HP and G'S through stock chassis and parts. Pro Touring has some of the highest HP numbers in real driven cars. Big difference to the 25mph 4:11 Pro Street crowd.

yody
08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
well obviously if the part is defective or broken you aren't going to bolt it on to your car but if inspected carefully and deemed nothing wrong i don't see any probs, but again it depends on what you do. Also you mention pro-touring, but what do you think the old school trans-am racers use? how bout dirt track?

BRIAN
08-22-2005, 07:42 PM
That is in a controlled environment with a lot more safety equipment. There components are also checked a lot more frequently then a street car. You can predict stress related failures in all parts? I guess we can get rid of all the test equipment.

Wasn't looking for a disagreement just thought it was interesting how it is ignored. When you are hitting that off ramp doing about 65 loading that one side of your suspension with those killer tires, think about it.

Like I said 1st car in a while that I am using older parts. I do not feel comfortable. I think they require the same attention as my driveline components if not more.

yody
08-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Yeah, you definetly have a good point, I wasnt' trying to argue either, just showing a different point of view, if you don't feel comfortable definety get some new stuff, or aftermarket, theres nothing better than having a piece of mind!